Mozzer

Distributing objections since 2001
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
Hello,

I've had some experiece with RPG Maker(s) but I'm pretty new to the forums, so I'm sorry if this question has already been asked or something.

So I'm working on a game that is quite big to release all at once. My plan is to release it episodic, like every week another part of the story, other quests, etc.

I don't want to change or remove any tilesets, scripts, ... I only want to add some things.

I also don't want the players to go through the pain of searching for the right folders and transferring the files manually, so I want to regulary update the game efficiently with a simple install wizard or something.

Does someone have experience with this, or some great tips?

Thanks in advance!

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If you add new scripts, change around the progress, change the use of switches/variables, etc, it might cause problems for players with save files.

Other than that, if you can make your game save the player's progress in a DIFFERENT folder to where the game is installed (like in %appdata%, for instance), it's just a matter of you re-releasing the game each time, and they can install it over the original one, knowing their save files will be untouched.

Mozzer

Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
Ok, okay. And how do I change the save location?

Do I need a script for that? I already looked throug the Scene_File and Scene_Save scripts, but I couldn't find a save location.

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yes, you need a script.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
there is also a script that allows you to patch a game more easily, but it needs to be in the game before the first patch, and you if you try to update scripts by that you'll still need to restart as saved games contain part of the old script configuration and won't work through script changes.

Search on the master script list for the patch script, I don't have the link (and the name might contain update instead of patch or be named differently)

Mozzer

Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
So if I use this script and just add some content (leaving the scripts untouched), would the player be able to continue from their existing save file?

Zeriab

Huggins!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
So if I use this script and just add some content (leaving the scripts untouched), would the player be able to continue from their existing save file?
The simplest and safest way would be to have them download a new version of your game.

Yes, having your players only download the delta is nicer, but it is also more complex.

*hugs*

Mozzer

Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
Would it be possible maybe to use a system like in Aveyond 3 and launching a 'new' game that allows you to carry over data from the previous installment?

Is that script even open for public or is Amaranth the only developer to use it?

Zeriab

Huggins!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
What do you want?

• A separate stand-alone games for each release.
  • DLC-like add-ons to the game
  • A singular games which still feels like a singular game after each update. Just with new areas available.

Within each category there are different possible solutions.

I find this types of solution do not lend themselves to modularity easily. Yes, some parts are, but specifically coding for your game yields better results. After all, the delta for your case is very specific to your game.

Having a save versioning system will help tremendously. Keep the import from old saves code distinct from the current save system. While this will introduce duplicate code it will make changing the structure of your current save files while preserving the ability to load/import old saves easier.

*hugs*

- Zeriab

Mozzer

Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
The third one sounds the most like what I have in mind: having a single game that can be updated with new areas, quests, etc. but still is a single game.

So what would be the best way to do this?

I imagine there should be an easy way to just add some content via a patch with an install wizard, maybe by using a script (considering that the player installed the game in the dafault location).

Last edited by a moderator:

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The Aveyond 3 games are all separate, complete games whose stories follow along after one another. You do not have to play them in the correct sequence, but if you do, you get the option to load your end save from a previous game, which causes your earlier decisions to influence what happens in the current game.

These games are not updates, players don't download them and replace anything. They are separate games.

Most people here asking about providing updates for their games do not want to do this - they just want to keep adding and adding to the same game, and release it to the player as updates. It sounds like that's what you want to do to as well, so the system used by Aveyond will be of no use to you.

Zeriab

Huggins!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
In that case I will repeat my recommendation from my earlier post:

The simplest and safest way would be to have them download a new version of your game.

You may be able to find generalized patchers which calculates the delta based on the binaries thus allowing your users to update them. Or you can just call them new builds.

Either way I suggest that you hire a scripter to add versioning information to your game. Feel free to use or base it off this version I made ages ago:

### Save_Info is a header of a save file describing properties of the save and# contains the data necessary for presentation in the save/load menu.# The idea is to load as little as possible of the save file for presentation.# The header should therefore be as little as possible.#class Save_Info  # Info about the game which created the save  attr_accessor :game  class Game    attr_accessor :game         # Shows which game it is    attr_accessor :version      # The version of the game used to save the file    attr_accessor :magic_number # Magic number of the save    attr_accessor :misc         # Miscellaneous data  end   # A summary of the save for presentation in the save menu  attr_accessor :summary  class Summary    attr_accessor :playing_time # Playing time    attr_accessor :characters   # Characters in party    attr_accessor :switches     # Game switches    attr_accessor :variables    # Game variables    attr_accessor :misc         # Miscellaneous data  end   # A miscellaneous accessor, just in case - For conceptual goodness  attr_accessor :miscend
*hugs*

- Zeriab

Mozzer

Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
Ok, do you know of anyone (maybe on the forums?) who does scripting on request?

Thanks

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Ok, do you know of anyone (maybe on the forums?) who does scripting on request?
Several people - there are script request parts in the forum, where you can describe what you want and anyone of a dozen scripters might or might not take up the request if he/she is interested.

I suggest you check the topics in those request forums to see which requests were done and which not - generally you need to give a good description of what you want to be done in a script to increase your chances of getting the request fulfilled, while badly described requests (or requests that are too big) are ignored.

Mozzer

Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
Thank you very much for all you replies!

This thread can be closed.

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This thread is being closed, due to being solved. If for some reason you would like this thread re-opened, please report this post and leave a message why. Thank you.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

I couldn't help myself, so I edited the tiles a bit and made a birdhouse :LZSsmile: I hope I will finish the town today!Screenshot 2021-09-17 134349.png
How do I find the threads I have watched? It's been so long I've forgotten :kaoswt:
So far, this is how the wall tileset its looking in-editor. :kaoswt2:
1631863283853.png
Still thinking on details to add.
Added a plugin to RMMV Plugin Releases with all relevant info but it looks like the topic wasn't approved for whatever reason. Cool.
Working in the IT industry:
- "How long does it take?".
- "It takes 1 month".
- "What if we add more people to the project?".
- "It would take 2 months".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Unit435