xyzeden

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi, I have a pretty massive project that clocks in at about 42 hours at the moment, and I've made it all with a very laggy editor since the start. It's starting to drive me a little crazy. I started the project on RPG Maker MV's 1.0 version, but since then I've been using 1.6.1. I've tried to "update" the core of the game as instructed a few times here, and while the "rpg_core" states that is is now a 1.6 core, it still remains incredibly laggy in the editor. I have tried downgrading to 1.5 and 1.4 as well to update everything, but the editor lag still remains. This is absolutely the problem, as with new projects started on the 1.6.1 version things are incredibly smooth. Just wondering what exactly I need to do in order to get this project running more smoothly. Thanks.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
lag can have many different causes, and from your description I would assume that your editor lag has absolutely nothing to do with either core version or editor version. Which would be a good guess because the project core always had only minimal influence on the editor lag, updating the engine for editor lag should have been the very last idea.

what lags the editor most are resources (pictures) that always have to be loaded - an excessive iconset for example, or if every map is a titanic parallax map with background loaded or things like that.
so please search again into your resources as we don't have enough info about your project to guess where you used what resources.

xyzeden

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
lag can have many different causes, and from your description I would assume that your editor lag has absolutely nothing to do with either core version or editor version. Which would be a good guess because the project core always had only minimal influence on the editor lag, updating the engine for editor lag should have been the very last idea.

what lags the editor most are resources (pictures) that always have to be loaded - an excessive iconset for example, or if every map is a titanic parallax map with background loaded or things like that.
so please search again into your resources as we don't have enough info about your project to guess where you used what resources.
Went down dozens of rabbit holes trying to find out the issue, and that was the only thing I could think of causing it. My only other posts here involved this same issue, with a TON of leads going nowhere. Eventually the person helping decided it was a core issue, which made sense seeing as how this project has been laggy since the very start (1.0), and the new projects started on 1.6.1 ran smoothly. Maybe that's completely wrong, but none of the thousands of other fixes have helped either.

I'm really not sure what more detail I could provide here that would help. I've already been operating with this laggy project for over a 18 months, so I'm fine with continuing it, just would be nice to finally solve this problem somehow.

ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Eventually the person helping decided it was a core issue
That's just kinda weird, because "the core" doesn't, as far as I can think, affect anything in the editor. The editor, the actual software, is updated when you update it (via Steam or downloading the new version here), and is the same every time you run it.

It's like using Microsoft Word - Word is the editor, whether you're using it to open a .doc or an .rtf or .txt or .html file, that doesn't somehow change the editing software.

Anything you change in your .js files is the code for the game, and has an effect when the game is running.

What exactly is laggy in the editor? Is it everything - every button you click takes several seconds to take effect? Is it only changing maps - you click a different map and it takes time to load, then you can work normally? Something else?

Is this project on the same drive as the other projects you're trying? If you were doing something like trying to edit it off a USB drive, you might see editor lag as the files it's updating write more slowly.

Last edited:

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm really not sure what more detail I could provide here that would help.
I have already given you examples of what could lag the editor, so you could have checked if any of that would have applied to your project.

additionally, what is the size of your project? the number of MBs inside the project folder?

xyzeden

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
That's just kinda weird, because "the core" doesn't, as far as I can think, affect anything in the editor. The editor, the actual software, is updated when you update it (via Steam or downloading the new version here), and is the same every time you run it.

It's like using Microsoft Word - Word is the editor, whether you're using it to open a .doc or an .rtf or .txt or .html file, that doesn't somehow change the editing software.

Anything you change in your .js files is the code for the game, and has an effect when the game is running.

What exactly is laggy in the editor? Is it everything - every button you click takes several seconds to take effect? Is it only changing maps - you click a different map and it takes time to load, then you can work normally? Something else?

Is this project on the same drive as the other projects you're trying? If you were doing something like trying to edit it off a USB drive, you might see editor lag as the files it's updating write more slowly.
Appreciate the response. And yeah I guess the .js only changing the game makes sense, but I'm almost certain that the project has been in a laggy-editor state since the very start over a year ago.

What's laggy is kinda like you described yeah. Clicking any event or adding one takes 3 seconds to pull up the window, loading any database is super laggy too, takes about 8 seconds to pull up an item dropdown for drop tables, or item checks, or adding items, or store pages. A lot of conditional branches take a while to load too, when trying to put them in the scripts. All custom animations are super laggy on first load in the actual game as well, but that's the only *in game* lag I've noticed.

It's all on the same drive yeah. New projects are flawless and incredibly fast, which I never experienced with this project, even at its start in 1.0.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@xyzeden are you intentionally ignoring my suggestions and questions about what the source of the lag may be?
because the resources used are the only things that can affect the editor AND be different between two projects.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Awright ya marshmallows! :kaopride: Here's a peek of what Alice's 8-bit Gothic gonna be like! EXPECT IT! (...in 2025?) :kaoswt:

alice_gothictiles.png
SF_People3_4 added!
index.php

Finds notes for an old side project... Oh, that's right, the two tracks that sounded really cool and gave inspiration for the big bad in that game... Spends day working on cutscene from old notes, looks okay, now lets slot in the first track... um... I did have those tracks??? It was a year or so ago but I did buy them didn't I?
CA9mtHJ.gif

Everything is really confusing for me

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pepperboi