Updating the game by replacing rpgcore.js etc files.

Status
Not open for further replies.

KotoYama

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm curious, can I somehow send a new version of my game to my testers without making them download it from zero if they already have the old version of it? Are there any specific files like RPGCore or something that contain all the information about the event in the game?

Eliaquim

Raze: The Rakuen Zero's Guardian!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese - Br
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If they have a save file, there might be somethings that will cause a crash.
But I believe if it is just changing the core files, maybe you will be fine. Always make a backup in this kind of thing.
I know for sure if you have a plugin that adds something in the game file, and you remove it or add a new one that does store things on save file, then you will have a problem.
Maybe you can get a problem if your new rpg_core files are not compatible with the plugins you already have.

There is a lot of variables that can or not make your game crash when you change files. So, made a test yourself first.

KotoYama

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If they have a save file, there might be somethings that will cause a crash.
But I believe if it is just changing the core files, maybe you will be fine. Always make a backup in this kind of thing.
I know for sure if you have a plugin that adds something in the game file, and you remove it or add a new one that does store things on save file, then you will have a problem.
Maybe you can get a problem if your new rpg_core files are not compatible with the plugins you already have.

There is a lot of variables that can or not make your game crash when you change files. So, made a test yourself first.
It's not about plugins really, Just minor bug fixes by changing some event commands.
I think the www\data might contain all the map and events information?

Eliaquim

Raze: The Rakuen Zero's Guardian!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese - Br
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Oh, I get it!
I also have made several changes through the data files. Never had a problem. But I guess that always depend on what is been changed

KotoYama

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Oh, I get it!
I also have made several changes through the data files. Never had a problem. But I guess that always depend on what is been changed
What? I don't experience any crashes. I just want to be able to send the updated version of my game simply by making my testers replace one little file like the data folder etc. It's probably something under 1 mb.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@KotoYama what you want to do can be done, but it has some limitations.

First, the player needs to be able to copy the files to the correct place. That might be possible for some players or playtesters, but a lot of people will fail to do this correctly simply because they don't know how to handle computer files.

Second, it is only possible if you don't encrypt your game. If you are required to encrypt your game (for example when using purchased shop resources), then you cannot do this.

Third, there are some types of updates that make older savefiles incompatible and require the player to start a new game for everything to work correctly. That cannot by bypassed by manual updates and you need to communicate this to your players correctly or it will increase the chance of bugs

fourth, handling this this way will require more work from you because you have to make sure every playtester has copied everything correctly and is always up to date.

For these reasons, most people don't bother with partial updates, especially if there are no download limits in their countries.
If you have players that have download limits you might try to go this way to make it easier for them, but you have to be carefull that their bug reports are really bugs and not because they got their files mixed up.

MushroomCake28

KAMO Studio
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

This thread is being closed, due to being solved. If for some reason you would like this thread re-opened, please report this post and leave a message why. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

:3c here's a thing i made a while while while back
Tried mochi for the first time. It's quite nice. Has a pleasant smell and taste, and is nice and chewy.
made a bio for the protag in my project!
Beggar : "I haven't eat for days..."
Kid : "Just do crime! You will get daily necessity for free in prison~"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
teendinsaikha