Updating Variable in a Skill Description

ginfubawuba

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I have a \V[238] in the description of a skill but even as the variable changes during the fight the number shown in the skills description stays the same.

How do i get the number to update in the skill description over the course of a battle?

Eliaquim

Raze: The Rakuen Zero's Guardian!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese - Br
Primarily Uses
RMMV
That's strange. You can see the value of the variable in skill description, but this value doesn't update with the variable, right?
Have you tried to see if the value is updating inside a map(outside the battle)?
Are you using any plugins that modify variables or skills?

Soulrender

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Poland
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Updated value should be displayed on your next turn or when you again select that skill, this is first thing worth to mention, second, if still it's not updating, then add to your skills common event wich will change value of that variable - https://prnt.sc/r6sc0a.

If this also fails then it means you have some parallel event or something else keeps that variable in this value.
This can be:
Common Event
Action Sequence in some skill(s)
Plugin(s)

caethyril

^_^
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
EN
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yes, this is an issue present in the default battle system. In battle, when the skill selection window opens, it automatically selects the first entry. However, if you previously had a skill with the same description as that first skill (as written in the database, e.g. "Deals \v[238] damage to an enemy!" - codes get substituted afterwards), the help window's text will not refresh, i.e. it will still display the previously-drawn description text. :kaoswt:

You can try adding the attached plugin to your project, it should skip the help window's "is selected text unchanged" check and just make it update every time it's told to do so (works for me!). It's just a simple override; for compatibility it's probably best to put it near the top of the Plugin Manager list~ :kaothx:
JavaScript:
Window_Help.prototype.setText = function(text) {
    this._text = text;
    this.refresh();
};

Attachments

ginfubawuba

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yes, this is an issue present in the default battle system. In battle, when the skill selection window opens, it automatically selects the first entry. However, if you previously had a skill with the same description as that first skill (as written in the database, e.g. "Deals \v[238] damage to an enemy!" - codes get substituted afterwards), the help window's text will not refresh, i.e. it will still display the previously-drawn description text. :kaoswt:

You can try adding the attached plugin to your project, it should skip the help window's "is selected text unchanged" check and just make it update every time it's told to do so (works for me!). It's just a simple override; for compatibility it's probably best to put it near the top of the Plugin Manager list~ :kaothx:
JavaScript:
Window_Help.prototype.setText = function(text) {
    this._text = text;
    this.refresh();
};
This fixed it thank you!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Ami
4 days im not using my laptop to waiting someone to reinstall (sigh)
Stream will be live shortly with some Donkey Kong 64! Feel free to drop by!
Working on a test Boss for the new No Travel Game Jam
- Name Plugin by Moghunter -
Free RPG Maker Ready Charging Up Animation

Enjoy -No Credit Needed But Appreciated -
Download it at https://lvgames.itch.io/free-charging-up-pixel-animation-fx-rpg-maker-ready
:/ .... so, thought I’d go to the park to sit in the cool breeze and get out of the house a little. Nope, guess that’s quarantined too. Ok...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Decasus