Upgradable Bases (Mapping Question)

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV' started by StrangeJake, Mar 17, 2016.

1. StrangeJake

StrangeJake Dreadwyrm Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Howdy! So I'm very new, I bought the game when it came out but only recently really started experimenting.

My main question for now is; How would you best go about making an visually upgradable base. I plan to make some sort of home camp/base that my players can return to. And throughout the course of the game you will be able to upgrade NPC's and buildings. Obviously the shops and such are easy. But what I'd like to know is how you would go about upgrading the map itself.

Example: Player upgrades base to lvl 2, which adds a new building to the area. Would you change the map entirely by creating a copy with the new addition and just copy over all the npcs so they all still work? Would that create load issues?

Thanks for the support in advanced.

Edit: RPGMaker MV Version: 1.1

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2016
  2. Idril

Idril Widdershins Games Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I'm not familiar with the MV plugin scene but somebody might have made something specifically for that kind of stuff. Otherwise I'd recommend doing it using events. You could load the building pieces into a characterset, arrange them on your map as transparent events, and have them show their graphic/become impassable when a certain switch was activated. A bit complicated, but it would work and save you a crazy amount of maps. I've done it a few times in Ace, just playing around, and it's not too hard to implement.

StrangeJake likes this.
  3. StrangeJake

StrangeJake Dreadwyrm Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Thanks for the response.

I was thinking of trying that actually. Copying NPC's and and such over and over is bound to leave room for errors anyway. I'll try that and see how it works out for me! Thank you very much!

Idril likes this.