Upgrade NWJS on RPG MAKER MV - Can we do it?

DarkSearinox92

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
Hi guys,

I tried to update nwjs, but the update breaks a lot of the game's features. For example, with the latest version the whole screen is blurred and if I press f4, the window does not go to fullscreen, but is blocked in the upper left corner of the screen.

Is updating NWJS and making it compatible with the engine that complicated?

Would it be difficult for programmers to take one of the latest NWJS versions and make it compatible, in order to increase the performance of RPG Maker MV?

I don't mean so much PIXI, as much as NWJS.

P.S. Does updating NWJS risk breaking plugins, like when updating PIXI? Or are the plugins saved, and you just need to make the new version of nwjs compatible with the engine?

ShadowDragon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I know updating PIXI can break plugin's using PIXI Sprites because some functions
are changed to make it better, so the plugins MUST be updated to use the latest version
of this (or modify to do so).

for NWJS, I'm not sure but I don't think it is plugin related in any way (can be wrong).
while it mostly is the screen and gameplay, if it does break the game or plugins,

than some plugins check the NWJS for a version, if it's higher, it will break, and might
have different functions as well, but I cannot tell.

RyanBram

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Upgrading NWJS is safe as safe as upgrading your Chrome browser, because RPG Maker is designed with browser compatibility in mind where diversity cannot be avoided.

But of course, it can be different if some plugin force any specific version of NWJS which luckily is very rare.

Last edited:

KillerGin

Freddie
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I upgraded my NWJS for STEAM features and of course also updated my PIXI for my light plugin.

DarkSearinox92

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
Ok.

I tried to upgrade NWJS but it breaks lot of things (not plugin, but the engine itself).

How have you upgraded yours, @KillerGin ?

RyanBram

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Have you overwrite package.json?

It may cause the NWJS cannot detect your game.

I upgrade it myself every time I saw new interesting features in NWJS and my game runs just fine.

DarkSearinox92

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses

KillerGin

Freddie
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Yes, I upgraded mine. Upgrading the NWJS.... was a process..... I had to do a lot of research, try, break it, break it again, fix it, break it, experiment, break it..... lol you get the point.

Eventually I got it right and got it all working..... actually this is a normal cycle in software development.

Short answer, I googled, a lot and experimented. Finally got it right. I think I looked up the version of NWJS I needed for the STEAM features. I believe when you get the STEAM code, it tells ya which version of NWJS you need. So I started there.

I know people with higher versions of NWJS. I got the version I needed to get all my cool STEAM network features working with RPG Maker.

RyanBram

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@RyanBram
Uhm, i followed this guide: https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/inde...upgrade-nwjs-and-chromium-67-68-64bits.96908/

I simply taken all file into the sdk 64bit latest version

and replaced all files into nwjs-win-test folder, and of course renamed nwjs.exe into game.exe

In the folder downloaded there isn't a package.json :/ what is it?
How about doing otherwise.

Put your project directory to the new NWJS directory itself by keeping the folder structure.

No need to rename NWJS actually.

Additional information:

Please do it on deployment project, instead of in MV Program Folder.
I never replaced MV's NWJS.

Replacing MV's NWJS can cause error, because when launching our game, MV editor may use specific feature or commandline flag that only available in MV's NWJS version, but replaced or depreciated in more updated NWJS.

Last edited:

DarkSearinox92

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
@RyanBram

So: I must take all files of an exported project and move all files into the SDK folder, without overwrite files, right? Have you said this?

@KillerGin Are you speaking about upgrading NWJS, right? Why RyanBram said that it's simple and you don't need to do anything special?

I'm confused, guys. Killer say that there is a lot of work to do, Ryan say that it's simple and it run without problems. :confused:

Please, explain me this thing xD

KillerGin

Freddie
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I did it a while back for my game on STEAM, my first game.

I forgot exactly what I had to do, I just remember it was a process, it wasn't too easy, but also it wasnt so bad.

Once I figured it out, it was simple..... I thinkI remember there was one step that didnt do a great job of specifying exactly how to set it all up.

Perhaps Im also including adding STEAM Greenworks functionality. I had to add a separate Lib folder for STEAM in the outermost folder to get it working, etc.

DarkSearinox92

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
@KillerGin

If you managed to do this, could you write a guide for all community members, so they can try updating their nwjs too? I think it's really important for everyone to know how to do it, without running into problems.

RyanBram

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I never have any specific tricks.

Just download NWJS and move/copy everything in the downloaded NWJS folder into my project folder.

No special trick at all. Just don't do it to replace MV's NWJS in Program Files folder.

Here I try with the latest update (I just downloaded it)

1 Before
1.jpg

2 After
2.jpg

3 Run as usual
3.jpg

Last edited:

DarkSearinox92

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
@RyanBram So problems are only into the program with test... i understand. And it works without problems? no blurry screen? So it's very simple... i will try it this evening :)

@KillerGin if it's so easy, i really don't understand problems that you had by doing this...

My problem depends only of the fact that i replaced nwjs into the folder of rpg maker, the test part...

I will try it this evening.

DarkSearinox92

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
@RyanBram Wait but your files are different from the sdk...

Immagine.png

For example where are this files? this is the sdk 0.49.2 64bit win version... In your screenshot they miss lot of files... example the folder pnacl?

RyanBram

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I downloaded the non SDK which just missing debug feature and reduce the NWJS size.

The SDK will run just as fine as non SDK.

DarkSearinox92

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
I downloaded the non SDK which just missing debug feature and reduce the NWJS size.

The SDK will run just as fine as non SDK.
It works!! Fantastic!!! Some things are broken (for example the play video with the plugin "Iavra Video Title", but i can find someting else...

I can hear the sound but video is black <_>

KillerGin

Freddie
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Yeah, I think I also included setting up STEAM Greenworks to work as well. That was the only reason why I bothered updating the NWJS. (And thats why I remember why setting it up was a pain)

Your version of STEAM Greenworks dictates which version of NWJS you need. (I believe)

I think the hardest part about that was figuring out where the new Lib folder goes, and testing and making sure it works with STEAM Works. (Achievements, SteamWork calls, checking for DLC, etc.)

RyanBram

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It works!! Fantastic!!! Some things are broken (for example the play video with the plugin "Iavra Video Title", but i can find someting else...

I can hear the sound but video is black <_>
If a plugin broke in new version of NWJS it will also potentially broke in newest version of Browser (NWJS is just another browser), because HTML or Web Application should be designed to be forward compatible (not necessary backward compatible with old browser) while the Browser should be backward compatible, where some feature once it was include as part of web specification shouldn't be removed in the future version of browser which is why we can still see ancient GIF are still suported into modern browser eventhough more modern APNG and WebP already exist to replace GIF.

With that in mind I conclude that updating NWJS with any future version is as safe as updating browser, unless a plugin designe with feature that are only available in specific version of NWJS.

MushroomCake28

KAMO Studio
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
It is very possible like others said. Each project has a different "max" version though, as some stuff can break in some projects and not others. In last released projects I was able to update to v. 0.32.4 without any issues. v. 0.33.5 didn't work though.

Keep in mind that if you're releasing on steam and plan on using the Greenworks.js API, your nwjs version needs to be compatible with your greenworks.js version (and vice-versa).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Made a surprising amount of progress in these past two days. Really helps when parallax mapping breaks limitation and allowing me to be creative and make maps that match my vision.
Let's promote our amazing artists in RPG Maker community! I posted right now about my game Phil Alone on Twitter and I decided to thanks Lime Zu, the amazing artist that did all the pixel assets for my game!
I just realised that the reason behind me not being able to make a game may be the lack of my original resources. I just dont like the look of MV faces and sprites, lol. Guess I will have make my own art.
I'm posting a commission art soon! :kaoswt2:
So here's a fun/tragic fact about me: I have an awful memory. But to be correct, I have memory "leaks". My memory is actually amazing, my issue is I can't keep memories for long, in fact, I once forgot my name. :kaoswt2:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Baytars