Upgradeable Maps

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV' started by Drunken Paladin, Sep 13, 2017.

1. Drunken Paladin

Drunken Paladin Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Hi, folks!

A current experiment has me stumped. The idea is to change a map in real-time by, for instance, having buildings constructed or features added.

I considered conditional tiles and pictures, but that creates issues with framerate if you layer too many. I also considered swapping between different maps, but there are just too many possible combinations of features for that to be practical.

How would some of you tackle this?

Chaos17 likes this.
  2. Dirge

Dirge Sound Engineer Veteran

First Language:
    English, German
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Parallaxing, using the Show Image function in events to change the maps to add buildings or whatever.

3. Drunken Paladin

First Language:
    English
    Tried that first, but like I said originally, framerate starts dropping off once you have 10-12 decently-sized images overlapping. I imagine it's even worse on mobile devices.

4. Dirge

Dirge Sound Engineer Veteran

First Language:
    English, German
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Break it down into steps then - create a second map with, say, four or five of the buildings actually mapped instead of parallaxed. Once those buildings have been unlocked, trigger a switch which swaps the active maps (i.e. changes transfer event pages to that map or however you're getting them to the map). That way you can stage it so that it doesn't bog down the system too hard.

5. Skunk

Skunk Melody Master Veteran

First Language:
    English/Slavic
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Instead of overlapping those images strictly in rpg maker, try combining them manually as they layer so instead of RPG maker layering them, you are literally just making a picture showing each stage of "construction" so to speak.

6. MMMm

MMMm Veteran Veteran

Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I'd just have the player buy village upgrades in "packs" and then switch maps. You don't just get a grainery, you also get the logging camp and the blacksmith's forge.

The player probably won't care and it's easier for you this way.

7. Drunken Paladin

First Language:
    English
    If there was a set order to buying the buildings, it would make sense to make an image or a map with different stages of completion.

But since you can choose what you want to upgrade, you'd have to account for every possible combination, and like I mentioned in the first post, that's not really viable. Alas, seems like maybe it's just not possible. Maybe there's a plugin solution out there.