Uploading Game to Kongregate

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV' started by JRibbons, Sep 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JRibbons

JRibbons Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Hi lovely people

I've asked this question on Kongregate, but have so far had no response. 

I've deployed my RMMV game for Web, then attempted to upload it to Kongregate. I uploaded the index.html file, then zipped the remaining 'www' folder and uploaded that zip file as separate files. When attempting to play it on Kongregate's site, the game doesn't load, just stays at a black screen. 

I'm not expecting anyone's an expert on Kongregate's way of doing things, but perhaps there's something I need to look out for when deploying for a browser-based site - for instance, in my audio folder, the audio is included as both ogg and m4a. I've read conflicting things about which of these formats is needed for web. Will including the wrong one screw things up? As a side note, the entire size of the game came in at 48mb, so I know it's not too big. 

Any help or advice would be appreciated, thank you in advance. 

Shinma likes this.
  2. supercow

supercow Artist Veteran

First Language:
    indonesia
    did they have forum ? cant you ask there ?

or maybe just sent mail to one of its "moderators" .

if you can post content there there must be someone or group who moderate them .

JRibbons likes this.
  3. Waterguy

Waterguy Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Er... the help file says nothing about zipping them, tried sending them without zipping first?

JRibbons likes this.
  4. matthew30903

matthew30903 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    After reading their guidelines, it looks like you will have to host the project file yourself and use an iframe to display it. Not an expert on Kongregate either, but after reading it and the help file for RPG Maker MV, that looks like the way it needs to be, unless Kongregate unzips the file on their server. If you zipped the www file as a whole instead of just the files inside of it, that may be your problem as well.

JRibbons likes this.
  5. JRibbons

JRibbons Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Thanks for your replies, guys. Really appreciated. 

Supercow, I've asked on their forums and had no satisfactory response. 

Waterguy  I've been assured that they will unzip the file at their end (by another RMMV dev whose game is on there). I have tried with and without zipping and with the zipped www folder and with simply the folders within that folder zipped, neither work.  

matthew30903 I think the next step will be to test it on my own localhost and see if it's working there first. I don't know what an iframe is or what it means to host it myself so seems I will have to do some more research. Will get back to you all...

6. JRibbons

JRibbons Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    It appeared the reason Kongregate wasn't loading my game was the m4a files. Once I took those out and replaced them with .ogg files, it loaded fine. 

Testing the game on a local host in OSX proved to be an epic adventure that I wouldn't wish on anyone. Made difficult by the fact I don't even know what a 'local host' or 'web server' even are. I found a lot of advice about WAMP and whatnot for PC, but it turns out OSX doesn't require all that stuff. At least, El Capitan doesn't. I'm not sure about older versions of the os. For those that find this thread and are having trouble doing it, here is how I eventually did it:

Navigate to the folder Library/WebServer/Documents and delete all those files. Put into the documents folder the index.html file that RPG Maker MV deployed. Take all the folders out of the 'www' folder that RMMV made and put those into the Documents folder alongside the index.html file. Now go to your browser - Firefox is less trouble - and type in 'localhost' into the address bar. The game should play in your browser. 

You may at this stage get an error that it can't load or find the json files. Open up the Terminal app in Applications -> Utilities. Type in this:

cd .../Library/WebServer/Documents

then press enter. Then this:

ls -a

and press Enter. Then this:

sudo chmod -R 777 .

and press Enter. (Make sure you include the space and the period!)

That allows your browser permission to access the folder with the json files. Go to your browser again and type in 'localhost' into the address bar. 

7. JRibbons

JRibbons Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Actually, while the game loaded fine, I'm getting the error message, "Failed to load img/overlays/par/par11.png" despite the fact that 'par11.png' file has been uploaded and is in the same folder structure as when it was created. 

Any ideas? The game doesn't have a problem finding it when playing on a browser. 

8. Ovakin

Ovakin Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    Has this ever been truly answered? My RPG Maker MV game is 141mb and whenever I attempt to upload it to kongregate the page times out. If I open the game I just get a black screen. I know everything is set up correctly. I've tried to upload from multiple pcs and multiple connections. If anyone has any advice let me know.

9. JRibbons

JRibbons Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    It hasn't been answered to my knowledge and I gave up trying to put it online at all. Although your issue sounds different to mine. Have you tried using the tool MV Stripper to bring the size down further?

10. Brandon Hollandsworth

Brandon Hollandsworth Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Uploading a game to Kongregate from RPG Maker MV:

First: Exclude unused files
    Second: Deploy your game for web browsers
    Third: Cut the index.html file, and place it outside of the folder (preferably one folder up)
    Fourth: Zip the folders inside of the deployment folder (img, data, audio... etc.)

Also, when you zip your folders, use the fastest storage method, unless you have a really large game

Next, hover over games and select, "upload your game," at the bottom.

Enter your title, description, title image, catagory... etc., and select continue.

Fifth: Upload the index.html file you cut earlier in the process
    Sixth: Upload the zipped folder from your deployment folder
    Seventh: Enter the size, 816 x 624

Then select continue, and select publish when your game is finished uploading!

11. Nza3

Nza3 Villager Member

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Having this same problem. Wanted to upload a betaish version of my game to Kongergate to get some player feedback but it always times out. The above post I have seen on multiple websites, and it isn't very helpful.

Zip what now? Each folder audio, data, img, etc INSIDE of the www folder? And then zip the www folder with the zipped folders inside?

Only zip the www folder? Ahh

12. Ovakin

Ovakin Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    I have 2 games that I uploaded to kongregate using rpg maker mv, Dreamstate monster battles and Coven. When deploying I selected web deployment, and when going to upload to kongregate use the index .html and Zip all files in the www folder together other than the index. html.(When zipping make sure your js folder is the root of the zip)

KillerGin likes this.
  13. KillerGin

KillerGin Freddie Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A

What do you mean, "(When zipping make sure your js folder is the root of the zip)"?

All I do is press compress on the www folder with the .html file removed.

I am also trying to get my game published on Kongregate...... why is this so much more difficult than necessary?

I get the black screen when I attempt to upload my game.

14. KillerGin

KillerGin Freddie Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A

Do you mean zip ever folder individually within the www folder and also zip the www folder?

Upload which folder?

Why is it so hard on kongregate? Its so easy on indiexpo!

My game working effortlessly on indiexpo: https://www.indiexpo.net/en/games/killer-gin

Freank likes this.
  15. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Best guess? Neither.
    Which also means that you can not do this in Windows with a right-click.

You probably need to archive the content of the www folder into a single archive.
    Which means you have to go inside the www folder (not right-click from the outside) and then archive everything there into a single archive (not archiving the subfolders individually).
    I haven't tested this but that is what the descriptions above read as.

16. krizmn

krizmn Occultist Veteran

First Language:
    english
    Was anyone able to get this to work? I have been spending about 2 days trying to get my game to work on Kongregate? I am just getting a blank screen. I have tried so many different options...i got rid of the mp4a files. I zipped up www folder and then zipped all the folders inside. I also uploaded index.html as the main file. *sigh*

17. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA

krizmn, please refrain from necro-posting in a thread. Necro-posting is posting in a thread that has not had posting activity in over 30 days. You can review our forum rules here. Thank you.

What I suggest you do is to start a new thread in MV Deployment, giving as much detail as possible of what you have done, and explaining why the Help file on Kongregate (if such a thing exists, I haven't used it, so only guessing) has not resolved your problem. That way people will have a clear understanding of what's been done and not done, which helps them to give relevant suggestions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.