upp_charProfile not updating / Data temporarily stored

Discussion in 'Javascript/Plugin Support' started by Ronnie, Jul 14, 2019.

1. Ronnie

Ronnie Villager Member

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hi guys,

getting a very weird bug in my game.

I am using the plugin "upp_charProfile" from TheUnproPro.

It's a plugin that shows a big message box on the screen, good for character profiles and long messages with images.

Anyway, I created a profile with the plugin and worte in it "green" (as an example). When I run the profile in the game, it says the text "green" in it. Everything is correct.

Then I changed in the engine under the plugin, the text from "green" to "yellow". And published a new version of the game.

But when I load up a savefile it still says "green" in it, instead of "yellow". I searched the entire game folder for "green", but it is no where in there.

In the plugin.js (here is the text of the plugin stored) it also says "yellow", so this is correct.

MV must have stored somewhere the "green", like in a Cache, but can't find it.

When I start a new game it shows "yellow", but not when I load a savefile, it is "green". I also checked the savefiles, but there is only memory code in there. So, I was thinking it maybe loads the entire data of the plugin, when you start a new game, but where is it stored?!

So, any idea about this? Where MV stores data temporarily?

Link:

Link to Download Plugin can be found in the description

Attached Files:

2. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    you already explained the cause yourself: you loaded a savefile with old data.

Part of all plugin data gets stored into the savefile - it needs to be or a lot of other things cannot work.
    But that also means that if some configurations are changed, if new plugins are added (or removed) and a few other cases, you are required to start new games for everything to work correctly, and all older savefiles become incompatible (to the point that loading an old savefile can cause the game to crash).

You're lucky that loading an old savefile only changed minor display things. In a lot of other plugins it might have crashed the game.
    So the solution is simple: delete the old savefile and continue with new games and new savefiles.

And YES, that means that you should get your plugins configured correctly first, or you will have to start your game testing from scratch everytime you made bigger changes in the plugins.

3. Ronnie

Ronnie Villager Member

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I changed quite a bit on the plugins I am using, never had problems loading up savefiles, except for this one plugin.

Is there a way to reload the plugin in the game?

4. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    then either you have only used plugins that do not save any data, or you were lucky to not have come to a position in the game where the wrong data crashes it.

and no, short of reprogramming the plugin there is no way to load it after a savefile, so you have to start a new game.