Upscaled resolution look?

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV' started by Elaine, Jul 14, 2019.

1. Elaine

Elaine Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hey there. So a big part of how I experienced a lot of classic pixel games was through an emulator, and when you played those, they rarely played at the intended pixel resolution of the original hardware. I want a way to make my game imitate the 2x-3x upscale size of the way I and many people experienced those games, through a bigger-than-intended display window. This is about increasing the actual size of the pixels as rendered, not making the window display more things.

However, when I search for this, annoyingly, the only results I get are people asking how to upscale VX Ace art assets to fit the MV resolution form factors.

This is, needless to say, absolutely infuriating. So I've decided to make a topic of my own asking for this effect, because SEO is an ass.

Cheers.
    -Elaine

2. Freakydedmnky

Freakydedmnky Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
  3. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    That is because you all mix up several things when searching for an answer: screen size is not the same as resolution, even if the "common use" of the terms indicate that.

Resolution is pixel per inch - or for example pixel per tile, like the 48 pixel per tile resolution of MV.
    Screen size is how many pixels fit into your screen. 640x480 is a screen size, not a resolution even if it has been used for that by a lot of people.

The look you want is rescaling a low resolution to a higher one - and that requires two numbers, the original resolution (often 16 pixel per tile) and the scale to the new one.
    And that scaling can either be done by a zoom script/plugin, or it needs to be done outside the game (with Photoshop or GIMP) and then use the new pictures that pretend to be zoomed in the game.

IF the new and the original size clash with the resolution default of MV, then (and only then) you need a change tilesize plugin. And those already exist.

But I think you don't need anything, you just need to search for 16-pixel-sized old tiles and sprites and then resize them x300% in photoshop to get the look you want. Most probably you also need to arrange the modified tiles to fit into MV tilesheets, but that is also mostly simple.

4. Freakydedmnky

Freakydedmnky Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Go on you tube, found a bunch of maps and games people did by being creative using their own 8-bit system in MV. They converted the 48pix to 8pix, on a couple, another guy just went with a 48, but made the pixels 4 each to make it look more like 8bit. He also only used 8 -16 colors. So it looks and feels like something from the classic NES days.

5. Elaine

Elaine Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I think it's not us searchers that get the terms mixed up-- at least, not in this instance, lol. It's that the terms are all used by the community/wider public for similar things so the SEO engines and Google algorithms lump them all together when you search and wind up making searching absolutely useless because they're trying too hard to be helpful. There are also some areas where those algorithms treat words as synonyms and search for two words when you typed one, and problems snowball from there. It's a problem I seem to encounter often.

Part of my problem is that I think I have a pretty specific request that isn't really handled well when search engines expect generalities.

Now, on to the other topic: I personally would rather look for a plugin than do a resize in an editing software. Editing softwares tend to apply filters and stuff to give upscaled things a blurry look as opposed to keeping the original pixles square, which is the opposite of the effect I'm looking for. The kind of upscaling I'm remembering seems to keep things rather sharp and doesn't artifically inject pixels to compensate for the bigger size-- or if it does (of course it does, technically, when you think about how monitors work, but I'm not speaking hyper-literally), it's in service of amplyifing pre-exisitng pixles rather than blending them or making it appear as if there are new ones.

My problem is I want to make custom assets. I've already done a couple basic (and kinda bad) tilesets. I'd like the upscaling to be software based rather than built into the assets themselves, or else it looses some sort of authenticity, I think.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
  6. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Only if you don't know how to use them. The good image programs ask you for the method used for resizing, and you need to switch that to something called "nearest neighbor" instead of the usual "bicubic" (might be named differently depending on software).
    No, there is no such difference between the upscale algorithm in an image program and the upscale algorithm in a zoom plugin.
    In fact the zoom plugin will slow down the game for its processing, and you have to hope it has the correct algorithm for the effect - with image programs you'll know that they have the algorithms and you can manually correct any mistakes. With a zoom plugin you can't manually correct and have to hope the algorithm used is the correct one.

and that completely ignores the fact that the default resources of MV have a resolution that is already on the high end, and the editor can only handle that resolution....
    There is a Plugin "change tilesize" by Shaz that you would have to use, and you woud have to change the tilesize down to 16 at the same time as installing a zoom plugin that increases display by 300%. But even with that - that plugin requires you to have two sizes of your tileset because you'll need the 48-pixel-one for your mapping even when using the 16-pixel-one in the game.

So in total it would be less work to do the resize correctly in the image programs (as said above you'll need the better ones that allow selection of how to resize, can't do this with MS Paint) than to have a 16-pixel original, a 48-pixel-editor mockup and a bunch of plugins that might or might not work together without special compatibility patches.

7. Elaine

Elaine Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Sounds like I've set myself a pretty annoying limitation, but one that's probably going to be worth it in the long run. It also means I'll have to completely redesign the two character sprite sheets I've already finished, but that's NBD. Thanks for the info.