Use a gameplay video from RPG Maker MV in another engine is ok?

gtswaifuism

Psychic
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I own RPG Maker MV and make games in it and now I'm trying to use Unreal Engine, but since the characters from my UE game are the same from the RPG Maker MV games, I want to put some gameplay videos from my RPG Maker MV games in the UE game.

I think it probably is allowed to do, just wanted a confirmation from someone that understands it. I say that because I saw a thread: https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?threads/using-resources-outside-rpg-maker.71219/
Saying that you can't use assets.

But I'm not going to use assets, just wanted to put some gameplay videos, is it ok? Thanks.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@gtswaifuism I have received confirmation that even using a video of gameplay from an RPGMaker in another engine is not permitted. Even though you are not exporting the individual resources, the gameplay would be made using RM assets in an RM engine. It could also be misleading to some players who, seeing the video, might expect the rest of the game to play out like that - but it wouldn't.

This thread will not, therefore, be approved.

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
You may not be using the assets directly, but by adding the gameplay video into Unity, you would be using the assets indirectly to make a Unity game. But the licensing doesn't care about direct or indirect. When you buy MV you get a license to use the resources, but it's limited to use in making a game inside the RM engine or certain types of advertising for that game. This is why Let's Plays can be fine (although legally murky due to monetization), because they're a form of gaming advertising. But that doesn't mean all videos are advertising your game or that all types of advertising is allowed. For example, selling T-shirts with the Ace art of Ralph from a game Ralph is the Hero would not be okay. Think of the assets as a way to help you make RPG Maker games. If you aren't using them to make RPG Maker games, then just assume it isn't allowed unless told otherwise.

gtswaifuism

Psychic
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thanks for the answers. I find RPG Maker MV really easy to make cutscenes, this is why I want to use it.

What if I use 100% of my own assets, would it still not be allowed?

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm going to go ahead an approve this, just so that the information is out there in case anyone else is using it.

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@mlogan You may need to clarify - are you approving the thread so it's visible to the public, or are you approving the request to use use MV gameplay videos in another engine, even if all the assets are custom? Your "I'm approving this" comes directly after the question "can I do it if I use 100% custom assets?"

vico

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So, i bought the engine and assets and cant use whatever i want? Good to know...

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
There are terms of use on all the assets. The majority of them can only be used in RPG Maker.

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Shaz Yes, approve the thread. As Kes originally stated it would not be approved.

vico

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I wonder what "buy" means to RM developers. What's the point to buy the program and cant make anything outside the "mainstream" uses?

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@vico you're buying a licence to use the editor and the resources under the terms of service given in the EULA - as with any other program.
In case of Degica's RPG Makers that allows you to use the resources in any RPG-Maker you purchased for any game you can program in them. That is not limited to JRPGs as the engine is open and there are already plugins to make a lot of other forms of games including platformers or simulations.

What you are not allowed to do is use the resources outside of the RPG Makers.
That is the reason why they are as cheap - just compare the prices for RM resources with the prices for other commercial engine. How much do you get per $ on RM DLC compared to other resources, always keeping in mind that this licence is royalty-free for RMs

gtswaifuism

Psychic
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@vico you're buying a licence to use the editor and the resources under the terms of service given in the EULA - as with any other program.
In case of Degica's RPG Makers that allows you to use the resources in any RPG-Maker you purchased for any game you can program in them. That is not limited to JRPGs as the engine is open and there are already plugins to make a lot of other forms of games including platformers or simulations.

What you are not allowed to do is use the resources outside of the RPG Makers.
That is the reason why they are as cheap - just compare the prices for RM resources with the prices for other commercial engine. How much do you get per $ on RM DLC compared to other resources, always keeping in mind that this licence is royalty-free for RMs
Sure I understand that we can't use the DLC/RTP outside RM, but it's not clear to me if it also applies to the editor only, if we take everything let's say from something like OpenGameArt or make it ourselves and don't use any DLC or even the RTP, only the blank editor, can't we still not use gameplay videos? Because the reason it was not approved was:

the gameplay would be made using RM assets in an RM engine. It could also be misleading to some players who, seeing the video, might expect the rest of the game to play out like that - but it wouldn't.
It wouldn't be made using RM assets and since the assets are custom, the problem of players expecting the rest of gameplay to be the same wouldn't happen. Also, RM games are not only JRPGs, with custom assets they have a lot more possibilities.

I really can't see why it would not be good for RM, if it's a credit problem just ask the users to credit RM at the end. Thanks.

thephoenix112

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
I would understand a standard use of assets in a different engine being barred...but wouldn't the end result, especially if just in video form, be open for usage? At that point, it's considerably transformative. It'd be no different than having a video on youtube showing the same things. If it's something like a dev doc showing where it started in RPG Maker, then moved to Unreal...as long as he's not using the assets in Unreal as well without permission, why wouldn't that be ok?

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I'm not sure man, by ethic that RM should stay in RM, that also counts the editor. But if you somehow managed to make a video with help of RM editor that no one would notice that if you made it using RM, that would be ok I guess? After all, eventing in RM for a video can be done in other various video editor. Granted, I never make/edit a custom video, so idk how they works

But yeah, if you use RM resources in your vids and put it in your Unreal Engine, that would be a no

vico

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm not sure man, by ethic that RM should stay in RM, that also counts the editor. But if you somehow managed to make a video with help of RM editor that no one would notice that if you made it using RM, that would be ok I guess? After all, eventing in RM for a video can be done in other various video editor. Granted, I never make/edit a custom video, so idk how they works

But yeah, if you use RM resources in your vids and put it in your Unreal Engine, that would be a no
But why "preserve" the editor in the task of making animations with it? I thought it would be far better to Degica to allow us to make animations and other innovations in RM too rather to make such Microsoftian-like moves to restrict our freedom (thats why RM-made games are low rated on platforms like Steam; they restrict us too much we cant make distinct things).

And yes, i know we could do animations using other software, but what if i dont have money to buy another editor just to make that? Are Degica planning to launch a separated animation editor and want to force us to buy that too (just like visual novel maker and other tools released by them)?

thephoenix112

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
Well, I think RPG Maker games are low rated on steam because there's so much shovelware, you almost have to be incredible to get any sort of praise. It's a hard bar to get over. That said...if you've paid for the license, then the end product, as long as it's transformative in some way, should be able to be used as you see fit, with proper permissions if necessary. The idea of having a video of a game that started in RPG Maker and moved onto another engine would not only be a great addition to any game as a development vid, but also promotes RPG Maker as a very accessible and powerful engine to start out in.

TheoAllen

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
But why "preserve" the editor in the task of making animations with it? I thought it would be far better to Degica to allow us to make animations and other innovations in RM
Again, I don't know man. EULA in tl;dr version basically does not allow you to use resources outside RM. As it never states explicitly (cmiiw) the usage of the editor itself, I just feel like it applies to the editor as well. I'm not a Degica staff, so take it with a grain of salt

(thats why RM-made games are low rated on platforms like Steam; they restrict us too much we cant make distinct things).
I'm not sure if it has to do anything with the engine and EULA. RM games, in context of made by RM engine never restrict you of making different things given if you can make a script / plugin yourself, aside from VXAce and prior ver that can only be played in Windows platform. They only restrict you not to use their resources outside their game engine. It's your problem if you can't make a distinct things in RM, it's also up to you if you want to remove default script and write it from scratch as long as you still need the engine.

And to put into perspective, RM was made for game making fun. Look at RM console version, you can't even import custom resources. While it can also be used commercially, but the point of RM is to make a game for fun. Back in XP/VX era and where rmvx dot net was still exist, there were little monetizing in RM like resources DLC, Everything changed in VXAce era where people began to sell their stuff.

vico

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm not sure if it has to do anything with the engine and EULA. RM games, in context of made by RM engine never restrict you of making different things given if you can make a script / plugin yourself, aside from VXAce and prior ver that can only be played in Windows platform. They only restrict you not to use their resources outside their game engine. It's your problem if you can't make a distinct things in RM, it's also up to you if you want to remove default script and write it from scratch as long as you still need the engine.
Really? I'm not a scripter, so not a long ago i suggest in the JS request thread if someone have interest in making a fighting system (similar to Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat or MUGEN) to MV. Instead of just saying "oh, this is too complex to be made for free" or simply not commenting on the post, people came there just to discouraging other folks to make the system, saying this would be too way off the "traditional" RPG style to be made. So in fact this is not only a Degica issue, its a problem with the community to be afraid to think off the box.

And to put into perspective, RM was made for game making fun. Look at RM console version, you can't even import custom resources. While it can also be used commercially, but the point of RM is to make a game for fun. Back in XP/VX era and where rmvx dot net was still exist, there were little monetizing in RM like resources DLC, Everything changed in VXAce era where people began to sell their stuff.
So, if people maintain this thinking about RM then no one will be interested in making things professional. I have a lot of ideas but i'm afraid to put then on RM and this simple fact will make me lose the rights on them, so for me RM isn't interesting anymore. 200+ in local currency wasted, if this kind of opressive/restrictive policy sticks.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I have a lot of ideas but i'm afraid to put then on RM and this simple fact will make me lose the rights on them, so for me RM isn't interesting anymore. 200+ in local currency wasted, if this kind of opressive/restrictive policy sticks.
Why do you think you would loose rights on things if you put them into the RM engine? That is completely wrong.
I think you are under a lot of misconceptions here, because the RM is one of the least restrictive engine available (at least from those engine that come with their own resources, an engine that has no resources included can of course be less restriktive). The only thing you can not do is to use the provided resources outside of the engine.

I think you better make your own topic where you describe what you planned to do and then we can sort you out.

TheoAllen

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Really? I'm not a scripter, so not a long ago i suggest in the JS request thread if someone have interest in making a fighting system (similar to Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat or MUGEN) to MV. Instead of just saying "oh, this is too complex to be made for free" or simply not commenting on the post, people came there just to discouraging other folks to make the system, saying this would be too way off the "traditional" RPG style to be made. So in fact this is not only a Degica issue, its a problem with the community to be afraid to think off the box.
I'm unaware of this since I never looked at JS request board, but a request should stay a request instead of criticizing your idea. You're entitled with your idea. Unless you posted in game mechanic design where the conceptual discussion happens. Maybe, you can try to contact a mod if your request thread become a criticism.

Anyway, I think we have derailed too much from the original topic. I'm not continuing this

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

reading what makes plugins tick, so you can use other plugins to trigger said plugin... setup up Luna MV to have my own custom ATB Gauges from Yanfly's ATB. cool
It's Easter on Monday. Anybody got any Easter quarantine eggs? It'll also be my birthday, I'll be 31.
Sometimes I feel like I'm using plugins feature the wrong way. But as long as it works tho.
Dusting off RPG Maker MV and seriously working with it since COVID-19 has me with a lot of free time. Have a game project that is coming along steadily and I hope it proceeds past the alpha stage into something good now that I figured MV out.
I've had an account here for four years, but only started posting and working in 2018. I guess I always had the want. Crazy. Guess I'll be seein' y'all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Surfy46