Use a gameplay video from RPG Maker MV in another engine is ok?

gtswaifuism

Psychic
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
That said...if you've paid for the license, then the end product, as long as it's transformative in some way, should be able to be used as you see fit, with proper permissions if necessary. The idea of having a video of a game that started in RPG Maker and moved onto another engine would not only be a great addition to any game as a development vid, but also promotes RPG Maker as a very accessible and powerful engine to start out in.

I agree 100%, if I've bought the engine and put countless hours of effort to make something unique, I think the end product should be given a few more permissions of use.

I believe it would be good marketing for RPG Maker to allow the use of gameplay videos, they have nothing to lose, not only that, since it's the game people are developing, they'd try their best to make the videos as good as possible and give proper credits, to leave a good impression for the players. I'm sure some of the players could get interested in buying RPG Maker after seeing videos of it used in other engines. I fail to see what kind of harm it could do.

Sure there could be a few restrictions, if X asset or Y bgm can't be used, just put it in the disclaimer saying users can't use them, but I think giving the option would not only make RM more open but give good press for it, as an engine that cares a lot about the users.

Sorry for the long message and thanks for reading.

Rukiri

I like to make Action-RPGs
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
There is a really fine greyish line and you're on it, basically unless your game uses 100% your own assets this wouldn't be allowed at all.
I'm not the person to really care about the EULA or even copyright for that matter unless $$$ becomes involved then I'm pretty strict about that stuff.

Just respect degica/kadakowa's answer and use your own assets.

thephoenix112

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
Just respect degica/kadakowa's answer and use your own assets.

Asking questions doesn't hurt anything, especially when you yourself agree there's a grey area. In fairness, anyone who bought the engine buys a license for the output product. While I'd completely understand using assets in another engine...a video isn't interactive. If it's ok to put videos of gameplay on Youtube then why would there be limitations to displaying it in any other way?

The question asked was very specific. It wasn't asking about using assets in other engines (which makes sense why that's not allowed), or trying to port a copy to another engine using the files and structure of the RPG Maker files. It's usage of video. Honestly, the fact it even is this much of an issue seems a bit overkill...he paid for a license, he used the assets in RPG Maker, and he made a gameplay video. It's non-interactive and unless we're saying you can't post those anywhere, why would there even be an issue in the first place?

gtswaifuism

Psychic
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Asking questions doesn't hurt anything, especially when you yourself agree there's a grey area. In fairness, anyone who bought the engine buys a license for the output product. While I'd completely understand using assets in another engine...a video isn't interactive. If it's ok to put videos of gameplay on Youtube then why would there be limitations to displaying it in any other way?

The question asked was very specific. It wasn't asking about using assets in other engines (which makes sense why that's not allowed), or trying to port a copy to another engine using the files and structure of the RPG Maker files. It's usage of video. Honestly, the fact it even is this much of an issue seems a bit overkill...he paid for a license, he used the assets in RPG Maker, and he made a gameplay video. It's non-interactive and unless we're saying you can't post those anywhere, why would there even be an issue in the first place?

I just asked to make sure RM wouldn't mind it, I didn't expect them to be so strict about using a gameplay video from my own game for the same reason. I don't want to misuse assets or anything, I just want to make the game better for the players by showing a video.

thephoenix112

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
Let me ask, now that you're here. What was the intention of using the gameplay video? Developer behind the scenes kind of thing? Demo video showing progression? What are you hoping to accomplish with it, just because that may help with that grey area a lot more. And yeah, I'm surprised at how strict it seems too, I've worked with other engines too and don't remember seeing anything at that level where it requires scrutiny anywhere like this.

gtswaifuism

Psychic
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I made 3 games in RPG Maker of the same series, about 10 hours of gameplay, and now moving to Unreal, so the most important thing I hoped to do with it was to make a cut-scene in the start to show for example: "that character from RM = this character from Unreal", not switching from 2D to 3D too fast, as to not leave players without understanding what is going on. If I just suddenly show the 3D characters it would not be immersive to the player. Since I got used to RM, I find making cut-scenes with it is a lot easier than other software.

thephoenix112

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
If it's just being used as a "here was the old, now here's the new", I can't imagine why that wouldn't be ok. I know the RPG Maker community is SUPER protective of assets and that's fine, but to have a clip of video of an older game to introduce a character's new and improved looks? That should be allowed. If we can output video and put it on basically any online service, what difference does it make using that same video as a character intro in a game that sounds like it's used a paid-for and licensed engine for 3 projects now?

gtswaifuism

Psychic
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yes, I think the same, just wanted a confirmation so I don't have to worry about it.

gtswaifuism

Psychic
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The reason it was a no it was because of this
If I understand what you are trying to say, is it that we can't make videos/cut-scenes for exclusive use in a game, but videos from our finished products are be allowed?

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Yeah, something like, to use RM to help something for other editor. I don't see why u can't use your previous game video to put in other engine for a sake of showing the evolution of your game or so. Then again, I'm not Degica representative. But at least I share the same thought as u in this matter

gtswaifuism

Psychic
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yeah, something like, to use RM to help something for other editor. I don't see why u can't use your previous game video to put in other engine for a sake of showing the evolution of your game or so. Then again, I'm not Degica representative. But at least I share the same thought as u in this matter
Thanks, I might not have clearly explained what I wanted from the start of this topic.

Archeia

Level 99 Demi-fiend
Staff member
Developer
Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
RPG Maker Resources (aka the RTP) are only allowed to be used in RPG Maker and VNMaker (as it is part of the Maker Series now). Just because you bought it for the right to use for your non-commercial/commercial RPG Maker game, doesn't mean that KADOKAWA/DEGICA gave up the rights to those assets.

If you were to buy the art assets themselves, it will not just be "60 dollars" or whatever you got them now and would be around 10k~30k USD. You only gained the right to make a game with them using the engine that it came packaged with.

The EULA for the resources is presented clear as day in the downloads section of this site and the engine when you buy them. You are allowed to show footages of your game with those resources made in RPG Maker. But you cannot use them for prototyping videos or whatsoever using another engine.

Last edited:

vico

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMXP
Why do you think you would loose rights on things if you put them into the RM engine? That is completely wrong.
I think you are under a lot of misconceptions here, because the RM is one of the least restrictive engine available (at least from those engine that come with their own resources, an engine that has no resources included can of course be less restriktive). The only thing you can not do is to use the provided resources outside of the engine.

I think you better make your own topic where you describe what you planned to do and then we can sort you out.
Done. Thanks for the tip.

Lunarea

Artist
Global Mod
Reaction score
Here is the official answer:
You cannot use RPG Maker software to advertise for another product. Your game is not made in RPG Maker, therefore, you can't use RPG Maker to advertise for your game - and that includes both assets and the editor. Although I understand that this is an interesting sort of video (like a developer diary), the usage still gets you into a murky legal problem territory because the program and asset EULA does not explicitly allow this kind of use.

This is what KADOKAWA, the owner of RPG Maker franchise, has decided for their engine and this is what we have to abide by. It's not something that a healthy forum debate will change, unfortunately.

If you feel like you're in a very unique situation and that an exception should be made, please send in a ticket and we'll bring it up with them. Same goes for any suggestions for features or changes you have. We're happy to listen and pass along information to KADOKAWA.

Now for the unofficial part of my reply...
Not all advertising is good advertising. And it's especially true in this situation because you're essentially saying "look at how bad RPG Maker was and how much better my project is now!" Showing progression of your development is an interesting thing, but it's not necessary for completing or publishing your game. Focus on showing your players what they can expect from your game right now instead of what they missed out on in the past. :)

gtswaifuism

Psychic
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Here is the official answer:
You cannot use RPG Maker software to advertise for another product. Your game is not made in RPG Maker, therefore, you can't use RPG Maker to advertise for your game - and that includes both assets and the editor. Although I understand that this is an interesting sort of video (like a developer diary), the usage still gets you into a murky legal problem territory because the program and asset EULA does not explicitly allow this kind of use.

This is what KADOKAWA, the owner of RPG Maker franchise, has decided for their engine and this is what we have to abide by. It's not something that a healthy forum debate will change, unfortunately.

If you feel like you're in a very unique situation and that an exception should be made, please send in a ticket and we'll bring it up with them. Same goes for any suggestions for features or changes you have. We're happy to listen and pass along information to KADOKAWA.

Now for the unofficial part of my reply...
Not all advertising is good advertising. And it's especially true in this situation because you're essentially saying "look at how bad RPG Maker was and how much better my project is now!" Showing progression of your development is an interesting thing, but it's not necessary for completing or publishing your game. Focus on showing your players what they can expect from your game right now instead of what they missed out on in the past. :)

I'm not in any way trying to show RPG Maker as bad, I like the art-style used in RPG Maker and prefer to play RM games over other engine games, it's just the opposite. I don't know if I'll ever be able to reach the same quality level and prototyping speed of storytelling achieved in RM using other engines. I don't understand why you thought I wanted to make it look bad since I talked about giving RM good press in this thread.

I expect all the players of my game 4 to have played the 3 RM games before it, they are used to the art-style, It'd not be the best approach to simply switch abruptly. It won't be a comparison, it's not possible to accurately compare 2D to 3D or comparing anime to Pixar movies.

To be clear, I'm not trying to advertise my game, I just wanted to ease the transition between the games, by showing a short gameplay dialogue part contained in the last RM game, but it seems that even that won't be possible. Seeing how ludicrous the policies towards assets and other engines are, I'm sure that sending a ticket would be a wasted effort and yield the same results.

I think the mythological Excalibur would be a perfect metaphor for RM and its policies.

Lunarea

Artist
Global Mod
Reaction score
To be clear, I'm not trying to advertise my game, I just wanted to ease the transition between the games, by showing a short gameplay dialogue part contained in the last RM game...
This isn't at all the impression I got from your thread.

It sounded like you were asking if you would be allowed to make a gameplay video in RPG Maker to then use to promote a game made in another engine. And that wouldn't work.

It's different if you just want to use a video from an existing RPG Maker game (with proper credits and all) in a non-RM sequel. I will have to look into it to be sure, but that might not be against the EULA.

Leon Kennedy

Restaff Novice
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I don't understand what you gain by using these assets in a different engine. Unreal Engine has tons of 3d stuff, it's built for those types of games why not keep the rm stuff on the rm engine and if you feel like making a 3d game use unreal or unity or gameguru or w.e. I don't get this at all.

gtswaifuism

Psychic
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This isn't at all the impression I got from your thread.

It sounded like you were asking if you would be allowed to make a gameplay video in RPG Maker to then use to promote a game made in another engine. And that wouldn't work.

It's different if you just want to use a video from an existing RPG Maker game (with proper credits and all) in a non-RM sequel. I will have to look into it to be sure, but that might not be against the EULA.
Thanks, I'm sometimes bad at explaining.

thephoenix112

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
I don't understand what you gain by using these assets in a different engine. Unreal Engine has tons of 3d stuff, it's built for those types of games why not keep the rm stuff on the rm engine and if you feel like making a 3d game use unreal or unity or gameguru or w.e. I don't get this at all.

He's not using the assets in a different engine. He's using the end result of games he's created in a different engine to give what sounds like a "last time on Dragon Ball Z" leading into the new games. Numerous times he's stated that he's moving from RPG Maker to Unreal, he made 3 games in a series in RPG Maker, and now his fourth is going 3D. However, he wants to show a scene from the original games, done not through reusing assets and rebuilding scenes, but just showing a small cutscene. At that point, he's still followed all regulations for asset usage and the work is transformative enough to be considered his own.

I think a few people saw "RPG Maker in Unreal Engine", stopped reading, and immediately brought out the giant walls and flamethrowers. I mean, I personally get it, I knew I may move over to Unity one day so a major thing I've avoided is using anything I can't easily shift over. Most of my art is commissioned with the understanding of it being open usage, and any tilesets I may have used for mapping to this point are ones where people have allowed usage for both commercial games and engines besides RPG Maker. I've done everything to ensure if I do change engines, I can do so with minimal loss if any at all due to agreements and rights.

To quote something said above...

The EULA for the resources is presented clear as day in the downloads section of this site and the engine when you buy them. You are allowed to show footages of your game with those resources made in RPG Maker. But you cannot use them for prototyping videos or whatsoever using another engine.

As he's not prototyping anything, nor is it being used in a sense of making it in one engine with the intended purpose of use in the other, then he would fall under those guidelines. The works he's showing, by what he's said, are videos of storyline parts from completed games, and no other part of RPG Maker, it's engine, or any assets involved, are being used in the creation of the new game. It's definitely a question worth clarifying and not one that would affect more than 0.00001% of people that even buy RPG Maker in the first place.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Hey everyone, we know that the edit bar is missing. We're working on it. You can talk about it in the announcement here: https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?threads/forum-errors-missing-edit-bar-etc.132715/
So, explain why we can no longer use BBC code or smilies in our posts? This sparks much sadness...
Are we now stuck with WYSIWYG ? I cannot revert back my posts to good old raw text ?
I'm wondering if I may be putting too many things into one map. A story, within a story, within a story . . . it's fun, but I can't shake the feeling that it may be better to scrap some of it, and use it for another map. I'm not sure what to do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scorpiys