Use a less violent method to solve your fight.

non related question, just wanna decide on a thing to eat tonight, help me :v

• Pizza

Votes: 17 73.9%
  • Sushi

Votes: 6 26.1%

• Total voters

Raijinn

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Bahasa, English
Primarily Uses
N/A
note*: this is not an essay.

Talking, talking, talking. Talking has been one of the most common ways humans communicate, and although NPCs doesn't seem to have enough social skills to create different words when you interact with them, obviously talking is one of the best way to deliver information in game.

In most RPGs nowadays, the battles are always plain old same. Ooh look at that slime, guess FIRE will KILL it. This is almost boring now, and so I'm going to suggest a new way of "fighting" your enemies a revolutionary technique that has never been done befo-

haha jk undertale did it. So um, is there a way to recreate this onto an rpgmaker game? I'm working with MV specifically now, just in case you're gonna ask.

As always, much appreciated.

Frogboy

I'm not weak to fire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I know that this plugin exists.

The Stranger

The Faceless Friend
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
British English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Didn't the original Gothic have the vast majority of fights end up with you simply knocking enemies out? You had to make a conscious decision to kill them after defeating them. I think this had consequences, too. I know it still involves fights, but the end result isn't death, not unless you want it to be.

Passive styles are usually accomplished through choice & consequence, either via: stealth, interacting with the environment, or dialogue. In Torment: Tides of Numenera, you can avoid the vast majority of fights through dialogue and stealth. The only fights you can't talk your way out of are ones which pit you against non-sentient beasts; but they can still be stealthed through.

These systems are easy to replicate; some might require a plug-in or two, however. You can have all of your battles be map-based (sprites on the map), and have them either set up so they all have pre-battle dialogue which the player can navigate in order to avoid combat; or you can have it so battles don't kill foes, or even the player, but branch out into new options. These can be set up via conditional branches. :)

Raijinn

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Bahasa, English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I don't want the undertale battle system part tho :v @Frogboy
The Stranger, what about one where you don't have to beat the **** out of an enemy?
@The Stranger

jonthefox

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
I haven't played undertale yet (I know, what am i even doing with my life) so I can't speak to the specific mechanics of the game, but rpg maker mv offers a lot of flexibility with battles...especially if you include plugins. Even just with eventing, you can create variables, switches, conditions, dialogue choices that can create the results you want.

this sounds more like a support type question, i'm sure if you formulate exactly what kind of system you want, and post in mv support, someone can point you in the right direction.

Windows i7

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Having a skill or item that can make an enemy flee would be non-violent. You could also reword the knockout state and make the enemy not disappear when defeated.

Raijinn

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Bahasa, English
Primarily Uses
N/A
A little confused, could you elaborate more? @Windows i7

EpicFILE

Epic Member
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesia
Primarily Uses
RMMV
There's a vote about pizza and sushi.
And the thread is about a less-violent way of solving fights.

Suddenly I'm thinking about this:
Maybe you can end the battle using foods.
When you give foods to enemy, they will eat it and go away. They no longer want to eat your flesh.
Each enemy have their favorite foods, hated foods, and neutral foods.
Favorite food will make them go away quickly, while hated food will make them more agressive.
Neutral food is... Well, they can do the job but nothing special

Raijinn

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Bahasa, English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Well, that actually went into my head. When talking, the player gets a choice to "gift" certain items, and if it pleases the enemy it'll go away. Not sure how to implement it though @EpicFILE

Tuomo L

Oldbie
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Finnish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I don't think you can talk to slimes. Aren't most of them like without even nervous system, much less brain?

EpicFILE

Epic Member
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesia
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hmm, maybe you can swap Health Point to Conflict Level.
At the start of the battle, the Conflict Level gauge is full.
As you talk and using some diplomacy, the Conflict Level will go down.
When it reaches zero, the battle ends.

Or you can use a Hunger Level system if the battle focuses on food

Raijinn

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Bahasa, English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Not slimes, just enemies in general. @Tuomo L also you're being way too realistic.

Tuomo L

Oldbie
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Finnish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Not slimes, just enemies in general. @Tuomo L also you're being way too realistic.

Honestly, I think it'd be very irresponsible for heroes to let dangerous monsters wander around to attack other, often weaker and unarmed people by letting them live. The heroes are suppposed to defend the people, not have long conversations about monsters who sometimes, may attack people just because they're hungry, not evil. What sort of a compromise do you do in that situation?

Milennin

"With a bang and a boom!"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You could just make a game without battle encounters?

Windows i7

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I don't think you can talk to slimes. Aren't most of them like without even nervous system, much less brain?

When dealing with fantasy games, anything is possible. Also, there can be such a thing as too much detail. Sometimes simpler is better.

Well peaceful... you could always represent running out of health as being just knocked out instead of dead. In fact, MV defaults to saying knockout for the defeat state. In the database there is a state section, and in the first state (Knockout for MV) a spot saying "If an enemy is inflicted with this state" you can replace " is slain!" to something less violent like " has fainted!" etc.

xilefian

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
This isn't entirely related to being able to solve ALL battles non-violently, but here's an interesting system that I've been looking into from Final Fantasy IX: Fairy Battles.

These battles happen for two side-quests in Final Fantasy IX.
One side-quest is the Ragtime Mouse [Ragtime Mouth] which appears in battles on the world map and presents the player a pop-quiz; they are given a Yes/No question and the player needs to attack either the red circle (for Yes) or blue cross (for No) and they are rewarded for correct answers.
The other side-quest is the Friendly Monsters, who also appear in battles on the world map and they ask to be given some items: you have to use the item they request on them until they are satisfied and they reward you with ability points. Once you find them all (and satisfy their needs) they reduce the difficulty of an optional boss for another quest.

For my oldest project I've got a design document that details an expanded take on these two side-quests, I don't want to give details away as I've done a lot of work developing these ideas, but they're a good mechanism for dragging the narrative of your world into the battle system a little bit and gives a neat little twist to the battle mechanics - you're still using the regular attack/item commands, but their function is now in the context of answering a pop-quiz or throwing buckets of sugar at an eccentric celebrity who - for some reason - now lives in the middle of a forest.

As with any feature in a game, it should play with the narrative - Undertale's narrative is pretty obvious and clear-cut so the non-violent options make sense, but don't have a game where you can hand a zombie the Nobel Peace Prize and then sip cups of tea with them whilst nuclear war is waging 10 minutes after your mother was killed, the game mechanic wouldn't necessarily fit this narrative.

MMMm

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
N/A
Instead of random battles, the fights are stretched out in your map to only visible enemies who talk to you before you fight them.

So a group of orcs would just be standing in the road of the forest and demand money or else they won't let you pass. You can offer them a food item you got from a quest or bought in the last town. The orcs tell you they've been forced into a life of crime because the elves stole their land and drove them out. You offer support in solving their problem and so they leave and wait in the next area.

It leads to a quest where you talk to the elves about what they did. Or the player can just kill the orcs. You can give the player options in dealing with enemies or they can just skip all of that and kill them anyways.

In the case of dealing with creatures like slimes, the player could buy a slime in a petshop that has the ability to absorb other slimes. They could use their slime to consume all the enemy slimes and create the ultimate slime. Technically the slimes didn't die, they're just now a part of something greater. And now the player has a powerful new party member.

You just have to decide if you want every encounter to be solvable and how much work it should require to "save" everyone.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This makes me think of Fallout 1. That game was so good in talking to your potential enemies. Heck if you gain the knowledge you can defeat the final boss by logic! If you tell him the major flaw in his plan he commits suicide. Still a violent end but you didn't have to fight him.

RocketKnight

Broke with expansive taste
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Depends a lot of the spirit of the game, the "feels". It kinda work if the enemy is simple relatable or seems friendly.

Touchfuzzy

Rantagonist
Staff member
Lead Eagle
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
This is a RPG Maker game we published that is all about arguments/debate rather than beating people up. Its quite good, was an entry in the 2014 IGMC.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I don't believe it. I actually did some proofreading in my game - and fixed some grammar errors! I feel so accomplished, knowing I can actually proofread my own writing!
...I've had a bad day, okay? Bad enough for me to want to proofread stuff. :yswt2:
Ughhh, July is not my month. Thankfully, it's nearly done.
mercba30 wrote on Jesse - PVGames's profile.
How do I get the new version of the character creator? Thank you in advance!

I fixed the lips and noses for MZ! The files have been updated.
qQwgk8C.png

Everything below!
Ugh, I opened MV after a few weeks and I'm completely lost on what I was working on.
Does it happen to someone else or am I the only disorganized one around? :kaoswt:
xH5Fk2f.jpg
Today was not a really productive day, but at least i got some bust sketches going <3
E7QXZHNXoAIkpG8

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Therion12