Solo

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I like the idea of "Skill Books," (items with the "Learn Skill" effect) and was happy that they resurrected this feature for VX Ace. However... it's not quite the same as it was in 2K/3. You can use them on anyone, no matter what... even if the skill belongs to a skill category that the actor in question does not possess, effectively wasting the skill book.

RPG Maker 2003 (maybe also 2000? Been awhile) also had a general feature where you could restrict the usage of any item to any certain character or only certain characters (for example, a "Shuriken" item that can only be used by a Ninja). This is basically the same as what I described in the topic title, just a different kind of item.

Anyway, what I'd like for this script to be able to do (if it doesn't already exist) is (among other things) be able to simulate an FF1-like skill learning system, or something like that. In FF terms, only a "White Mage" could learn skills from "White Magic" skill books, "Black Mages" their respective type, and it should also have leeway for "Red Mages" who can learn from both (but perhaps not every spell). In short, this script should let the user choose who can use which item/skill book, or what actors/classes each item can be used on (or used BY in the case of "attack" items like Shuriken), like the system in 2K/3; so it's for items in general, not just limited to skill books, but I wanted to give a specific example.

If this is possible, I would think it could be done via notetags. Something like (in Item notebox):

<restrict to actor: x, x, ...>

-or-

<restrict to class: x, x, ...>

...and so on.

By the way, in the case of the Shuriken (or any other damage-dealing item, or healing item for that matter), I would hope that this script would not conflict with the damage/healing formula for items (like defining the parameters that influence the damage Shuriken deal). I don't see why it would, but I just thought I'd mention it.

Preferably, this script should be free for use in commercial games, as that's the way I'm headed. You will most certainly be credited, so be sure to tell me how you'd like to appear in the credits if I use this script.

Big thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
There are several conditional scripts available that can be used for this, for example Tsukihime's tag manager or several others.

Please check the master script list, I don't have the links ready.

Solo

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Hmm, it seems like Hime's scripts do meet this criteria. Interesting...

I would still like to leave the topic open for a bit, however, in case anyone else has anything to add.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

My spirit can be so easily wounded by most things that nobody thinks twice about. It may be not a big deal to you, but it means EVERYTHING to me!
I have to make a custom tree for my FSM game and I'm nervous I won't get it right.
Finally got the tablet picture! :LZSsmile:
Working hard on my Mode7 interiors in between calls at work!
A good idea rise a moment before falling asleep, and survive the second coffee the day next morning.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Merglu