Frogboy

I'm not weak to fire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Maybe I'm still a little too noobish and just haven't noticed anyone or anything that uses this yet, but it seems like it could be a powerful feature.  I've watched a ton of YouTube tutorials and such and never heard any of them mention Terrain Tags.  These allow you to assign numbers to specific tiles and retrieve those numbers with an Event command.  I don't really know what to do with it, though.  Maybe with a few examples, it might give me the spark that sends me down a path that I hadn't yet discovered.  So, are there any clever uses for this feature?  Do you use them for anything or can you at least imagine using them for something?

snap.PNG

Wavelength

MSD Strong
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
They're useful for scripting or complex eventing (using other commands like the "Get Location Info" after setting variables equal to the player's Map X and Map Y).

As a couple examples of things you could terrain tags for:

• Placing them on walkable "holes" of variable size around map and having an event make the player "fall down" the hole (freeze, fade out, dropping sound effect) if they walk on it
  • Creating icy terrain where the player will automatically keep moving in a direction if they walk over the ice, until they're no longer on ice
  • Allowing a player to jump a few tiles using a button, and checking the terrain tags of the destination tile to make sure the jump should be allowed
  • Having sound effects play based on what kind of terrain the player is currently standing on

I usually use Region IDs for this kind of thing instead, but Terrain Tags are a lot more convenient if you're always treating a type of tile the same way (e.g. the "Hole" tile will ALWAYS be used to allow the player to fall down)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Have you ever been truly comfortable? This weekend I experienced it for the first time in my 33 years on this planet. Try to get comfy, friends.
Every once in a while I check to see if my planned game titles are taken or trademarked. Still okay. I plan to take my time for the sake of quality, but at the same time it feels like a race against some hidden dev out there who also plans to publish or register the same title.
Who else here likes frogs? I sure do like them squishy beings! :rwink:

froggy.png
Only the goggles are imported ... not the eyes
a lot of my maps and battlebacks are me redrawing base rpg maker mv stuff to match with my own artwork... sometimes it comes out ok lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RhemeChan