nekatu

Designer
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hey,

So I'm working on a couple of interesting combat mechanics, one of which I'd like to explore involves a specific skill, similar in principle to Yanfly "syphon skill" system but instead of stealing a skill and adding it to the user it would present a list of the target's skills (perhaps with variable success based on the user's abilities) and then allow you to use one of those skills on the target once.

At a basic level you could essentially learn and unlearn the skill in the same turn, and as such the syphon mechanic work work fine, but I'd really like to give the player the choice of which skill to steal in that situation for the one off use.

It feels like the syphon skill will do most of what I do, with some tweaking, it's just generating that menu of available skills that may be the tricky bit.

Any thoughts on how to do this?

Wavelength

MSD Strong
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
My instinct would be to use the "Snatch" element of Yanfly's Steal & Snatch plugin to represent the different skills you can take. Have each possible skill that can be stolen be represented by an Item that can only be obtained through this "Sharingan" (Turn Your Skill On You) skill. Then, have the Sharingan skill run a Common Event which evaluates which special item was snatched, and uses a Force Action to cast that skill on the last target (or the appropriate target, if you steal something like a healing skill), before removing the snatched special item from your inventory.

That's the closest way I can think of without making an entirely new custom plugin.

Oddball

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
after a search i did find a page that talks about something relevant

https://www.rpgmakercentral.com/top...umber-of-skills-in-a-skill-type-an-enemy-has/

They're talking about how to get the information on enemy skills. Is there a way to plug that information into a choice. and from that plug it into a "force action"?

Edit: It mentioned something about variables. Is there a way to plug the info into variables?

Last edited:

nekatu

Designer
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thanks both! Really appreciate you taking the time to respond. I'll dig around and see what I can come up with. :)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

unintentionally made a track that sounds straight out of Yume Nikki
Revisiting one of my older projects in a long time to work some more on the mechanics. I've been working on- and off-again for about a year now on recreating the Force and Mystic systems from Wild ARMs. And I think I've finally made some good breakthroughs on that!

Still, it is not perfect and I may post my thoughts at a later time to see if there are any other suggestions or alternatives I've missed.
actor name string, why you gotta be case sensitive like that?
Doing RPG Maker News for 26th October 2021

My entire world, full of monsters and treasures, will likely be done by the end of the year. After that it's all NPCs and side quests... then done. I'm never making an open world game again xD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vubao200618