Using Animator to replace Sprite Sheet [normal movement] question.

TheGreatEater

Coding is my dump stat.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
So is it possible to use the Animator feature to replace the sprite sheet for character movement? Or is that not doable? Since I kind of like the infinite possibilities the animator could open up, and I'm annoyed at my characters keep getting cut off,  or I can't add X since it'd make them to big, or what have you. 

But yeah any help would be appreciated. All the Animator tuts I find are on battle animations. 

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
What is Animator?

Why do you want to replace the sprite sheets? What difference will there be?

In what way are your characters getting cut off? This indicates that your spritesheet is not formatted correctly, not named correctly, or not being used correctly.

TheGreatEater

Coding is my dump stat.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Sorry it took this long to get back to you. As for your questions:

1) The Animator used for all animations in the game [and what Kread-EX's Animated Battlers use for all their moving and battle animations in battle]. 

2) Why?  

Quite frankly, Sprite Sheets are really getting on my nerves. I can spend 20 USD to get my Sprite's spaced like so. 

EPMBH.png

but make a new sheet, same size, and copy and paste each sheet done so I have movements for all 4 bases [using an 8 Dir script [which is why there are more than normal]] like so.

EarthPonySagePC.png

And things go all freaking haywire.  [Mostly with the lower two sprites]. 

Sure I can hire a person [which the last guy was good, no denying that], but I don't want to have to shovel out dough everytime I add hair, or clothing, or want to add wings, or a horn, or what have you. Since I add one thing, that the system wants to go anal about, and I (or the Sprite mover) will end up with hours to weeks resizing things to get it so it moves normally. 

That's annoying and expensive as heck. 

Yet: The Animator, sure it's more works going through the keyframes, tweening (which I haven't found a good tut for that. But I heard that all it does is fill in things between frames to make it move smooth. So it shouldn't be that hard?). 

But as long as you  keep it in the green box [or out of it if you need to for some reason], you have infinite (technically) amount of variations. You want a behavior that can't be done in the standard 3 by 4 set up, or it just would look nicer with more. Bam! There you have it. 

You want a character that moves around by flying, and you want to make sure it's possitioned and moves just right. As long as you keep the frame by frame boxes aligned right. You can do that [heck it even has an enemy on the ground to use as a gauge of how high to put it. 

Want a drunken stumble, no problems, want a character that has rediculous sized hair? Sure thing. With from what I was told 120 pixel absolute size. You have infinite control and range over every aspect of movement. Even going as far [with event tiles / key press to activate the animation] 26 over all movement directions. Not only the 8 directions on a flat plane. But moving in an upward + Downward ones as well for more realistic stair climbing, when I try it, it looks like the character is walking right through the wall onto the roof.

Or Even evented platforms that act as elevators. Hills, Plateaus, Flight. You name it.

And since there, as I was told before, will never be freeform Sprite sheets [where all that matters is that it's X many across and X many down]. Using the animation section for animation control. If it's possible [since Kreed-Ex's Battler got me thinking about it.]

Offers full control, and direction of movement. 

Sorry for the long 2. It's just that it's something that I think would be awesome.  But as for 3:

I either get body parts from the surrounding Sprites popping into the moving animation. Or the hair will get cut off, or I'll need to rearrange a body, and it ends up messing up the rest of the character. Or I try getting it just right. But when I add something. The Sprites go utter bonkers. 

Then I'm stuck making the thing larger or trying smaller, and every attempt to fix it makes it go to even greater levels of insanity. 

I mean adding hair, get's problematic, adding appendages get's problematic [even if I don't add it how I want it, but rather keep it all tightly wound]. I am just getting really annoyed at Sprite Sheets. If all I had to do was make sure that it was X many Frames across and X many down. Per animation, that'd be great. But just a copy and paste from a working set up, causes everything to go nuts. Or adding just five to six additional pixels [up, down, or to either side] causes the system to have an aneurysm. Then I'll happily go through the insanely more arduous task of using animation sheet over Sprite sheet. If it means that A) It moves how I want, when I want it [which the "play animation" would be perfect for checking that], and B ) I don't have to spend weeks on a single page just trying to move it just so, so that the system plays it normally. Rather than glitchy. I'd rather spend a week making it look good-ish (I'm still improving as an artist. So not perfect, but getting better each attempt). Then a week doing it, then even more weeks trying to get it to move right.  

As for naming. Idk, it works, then I do anything, and then it doesn't. 

Edit: Get Character Hub, might actually be perfect for me. Would still like to know if the Animation option is viable for those graphics / behaviors that aren't readibly doable via normal sprite sheets. But Get Character Hub looks like it'd be something that'll fix all the problems I have with my Spritesheets atm.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Another character battle theme
Sorry everyone. Covid rules made me a laptop potatoe and I would need more exercise and past 2nd invasion I am still fighting for space also here. So I am not enough often here and... well I answer even less to my e-mails. DC is saying a huge HI to everyone with her heavy wet purrings.

You all take care in here ^^
traficaccidence.jpg
"It's time to add cars into the city!"
--- Famous last word of the developer's character before hit by a car :kaoswt2:
Yay, our new game, Causality is finally released on Steam!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dapperteddy1990