Skunk

Melody Master
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English/Slavic
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm working on a project where hacking replaced the battle system, all attacks are types of hacking tools used against firewalls and antiviruses
when you hack a door open, you get transferred to a map where the player image changes into a ball of light and have to get passed all the security (enemies) in order to unlock the door undetected.
Upon beating the enemies you can reach the other end of the server and open the door, which allows the player on the main map to open the door he was just hacking.

I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how to make this a bit more fleshed out.

Wavelength

MSD Strong
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Moved to Ideas and Prototypes, since this is completely specific to your project.

Can't come up with too much at the moment, but as a bit of general advice, it sounds like this mechanic is going to be used a lot, so the novelty will wear off - what will give your mechanic legs is to give each "level" of the hacking system its own purpose, a unique thought process the player would need to use to beat that particular level (or at least one that would be helpful). Also, consider unlocking new mechanics and abilities as the player wins challenges, gaining XP in an RPG style.

Skunk

Melody Master
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English/Slavic
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Moved to Ideas and Prototypes, since this is completely specific to your project.

Can't come up with too much at the moment, but as a bit of general advice, it sounds like this mechanic is going to be used a lot, so the novelty will wear off - what will give your mechanic legs is to give each "level" of the hacking system its own purpose, a unique thought process the player would need to use to beat that particular level (or at least one that would be helpful). Also, consider unlocking new mechanics and abilities as the player wins challenges, gaining XP in an RPG style.

That is something I have thought a lot about.
Thanks for the tips!

My plan is hopefully to have the types of enemies get harder and harder to figure out how to kill.
For example, Im going to try to make it so certain enemies need certain attacks in a certain order to be defeated, just like real hacking.

I just wonder if people will miss a real battle system against tangible enemies.

Wavelength

MSD Strong
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I just wonder if people will miss a real battle system against tangible enemies.
If your hacking system constitutes a reasonable amount of playtime rather than an occasional diversion, and if it's engaging and playable the whole way through (that's a big if!!!), then I don't think anyone will lament the lack of a "traditional" battle system in your game.

Nenen

Untested RPG storyteller
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I think creativity is important for this. (As @Wavelength essentially said, but more helpfully then me :p)

But even if you didn’t make it into a turn-based Tactics battle system, and kept it more ‘normal on-map’ stuff, you could still take a few concepts from such.
- For example, having multiple types of hacking methods/abilities which could each be a separate ‘character/tool’ which you switch between, and each one could be ‘locked-out/killed’ thereby preventing you from using it on this ‘battle’.
- This would allow you to eventually get more ‘tools’ that would be ever increasingly necessary depending on the current obstruction.
- Each tool could be vulnerable to specific defenses, and vice-versa naturally, with the potential still being of a ‘boss’ defense requiring the use of multiple tools.

That’s just one possibility. And I kept it somewhat generalized, no specifics.
- Alternatively (or together) you could have stealth elements with an 'unbeatable defense' that you have to avoid. (& this could be temporary, essentially only until you get the corresponding tools to beat them)

Your idea sounds like it could potentially be lots of fun (as long as you can figure out good specifics!). I’m certainly hoping you make your game!

But it’s more of a general question, and it didn’t get a lot of conversation, but people still gave some good thoughts, so might be worth checking out!
What Makes A Good Hacking System?:
https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?threads/what-makes-a-good-hacking-system.121929/

:) (Grammar edits)

Last edited:

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Frustrated, as always. I took a break from working on games and when I turned back to working on them again, bam! Slapped in the face with more errors. Such is the pain of working on any project, I suppose.
Checking out the Judge's Round Table. Really cool getting their perspective in a Q/A environment like this.
I'm heading back to Orlando tomorrow! Dad said he's going to take me to my favorite arcade and maybe Aquatica.
animated message windows <3
or message window that uses background images that can be animated?
Still need to fix some things, but it's going great so far :)
CEPjLJn.gif
just when I thought one of the greatest game of all time couldn't get any better, they announce a new dlc for it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
neah