slickdeath97

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Do you guys think it is a bad thing to use default premade maps? If not do you guys think there should be a limit on how many are used?

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You can use the sample maps, but doing so will tell any player that you were too lazy (or whatever) to make your own maps, and that will hurt interest in your game.

I would suggest at least changing them and even then to only use them for a minority of your maps (less than 20%), and then not for any map near the beginning of your game.

Juanita Star

Witch of compilations.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMVX
Nah. Those and the dungeon generator save time and effort.

I do think you should have more than default stuff, but using them to complement your game and to save yourself from building Town #5 that is going to be relevant for ten minutes.

Edit: I would use them with no shame, just not put them in front of my game.

Ophiucus Games

Ophiucus Games
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
If you're going to use the sample maps you need to find ways to make them stand out. Just as with anything 'default' - both game makers and players alike will have seen them countless times before - so ask yourself - why would someone play a game full of things that they've already seen before? What new ideas are you bringing?

The purpose of sample maps is to give you some examples / a basic idea of how to lay out a town/dungeon. So if you're using them as a starting point, then they're not a bad thing per se, but at least I'd recommend you consider:
-Using a non-RTP tileset
-Adding some customised assets e.g. custom signage on shops
-Adding bridges/walls/gates/fences etc. to change the default path you'd take
-Changing key locations around e.g. swapping the location of the Inn and weapon shop
-Adjusting the paths/trees/cliffs etc to make them less square and more organic
-Making NPCs interesting and give them backstories / something unique to say that describes the place they are and their purpose in the world
etc. etc.

Re: the dungeon generator - to be fair I did actually use this for one of my maps, but only to give me a basic idea of the paths (I wasn't feeling very creative that day). I then edited these paths to make them rounded/organic and not just straight lines (and used my own tileset too - see image).
Map104.png

Ophiucus Games

Ophiucus Games
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I do think you should have more than default stuff, but using them to complement your game and to save yourself from building Town #5 that is going to be relevant for ten minutes.
I'd also say (and this is just my personal view, others may disagree) that if you find yourself building towns that are only in the game for a few minutes with no real purpose, then reconsider whether that town is needed at all.

A- If you have time/inclination, try fleshing the town out and make it somewhere a player would actually find interesting to explore (e.g. have some sidequests, clues, or secret items there). Spend time thinking about the town's economy - how do the people there make a living, what industries do they have (this could affect the items they sell) etc.
B- If a town is simply needed as a generic resting spot and a place to stock up on potions etc., you could always consider having a 'commercial district' that has shops/inns and is accessible to the player - and then a 'residential district' that you can't enter (thus you don't need to map it). Depending in your world/personal style, you could either have one of the PCs say "We don't have time to stroll around people's houses" when you try to go in, or have a solider/guard or gate that blocks access.

Orchiid

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP
I personally would definitely recommend against it. To me it puts off the feeling that you, as a developer, aren't committed enough to take the time to make a map.

MerlinCross

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Right so I have never finished a 'game/product' but I use them myself. I use them as place holders or edit them a bit more into different shapes, like the castle got turned into a semi upscale hotel.

Though in some cases I question if it's a bad thing or not to use them. I mean each shop IS going to look different but if you're making a class room... kinda hard to make a class room look interesting, same with a school or office.

I still wouldn't use them in a finished product/game not without edits.

Black Pagan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It takes only a few minutes to modify the Default RTP Maps, Keep the same Layout if needed but you could change the smaller details. Its not that hard to change a few minor details. I have played a few games where I have the weird feeling that its RTP but doesn't feel like it because it uses different graphics.

MerlinCross

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
It takes only a few minutes to modify the Default RTP Maps, Keep the same Layout if needed but you could change the smaller details. Its not that hard to change a few minor details. I have played a few games where I have the weird feeling that its RTP but doesn't feel like it because it uses different graphics.
Oh yeah, as an example that school room that comes with the program(I think it does?) I threw on some more background/wall graphics, changed some placements of objects already in the scene and shifted some tiles around.

It's still kinda the same room/map but threw my own curve on it.

Also do we have less maps than in previous verisons like VX? I could have sworn there was a 'mine' map/tile set

Tamina

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Do you guys think it is a bad thing to use default premade maps? If not do you guys think there should be a limit on how many are used?
I'd avoid it, but it's less about being "lazy" but more about the default maps don't always tell your story well.

This may be an unpopular opinion, but as a solo dev I often encourage people "be lazy" in a smart way. I've seen too many projects that took 5 years or even 7 years and still in an incomplete state. Or people spend years on things mostly irrelevant to actual gameplay, such as a menu. Since we don't have all the resources in the world, sometimes we just have to work with limitations.

When I started my first RM project 10 years ago, I made 3D pre-rendered background for my project and all custom art. Needless to say this project never gets done. Many years later I decided to finish a project so I made "no custom art" as a rule. I was finally able to make some progress toward finishing the project. This isn't lazy, it's working with limitations, because an unfinished project meant nothing and a project that takes 5-7+ years to finish probably won't generate enough commercial value to support the next project unless they sell tons of copies - which is hard. Finishing a project within reasonable timeframe, IMO, should be the No.1 priority.

From my experience showing the game to players outside of the RM community, they do not care about RTP nor how the menu looks since they don't see RTP as often. They only ever care about the gameplay and story. So I do believe that being lazy is alright for solo dev, since ultimately it's the gameplay that matters. You just have to try to sell the game to people outside of RM community, or those who doesn't care about RTP.

So, if being "lazy" is alright, why can't we use default maps? This because default maps weren't created for YOUR project. It's created to show how tiles were used. Maps are part of the storytelling and world building, so the design has to reflect your world and game mechanics. A home of a rich family will look very different from a poor family. A military castle will look different from a castle of a noble lady who likes flowers but despises war. A town with serious tone will look different from a town with a more light hearted atmosphere.

Even a boring looking dungeon can have a backstory behind it with better map design. Imagine your cave only has....rocks in it. That's boring. Now add a monster's nest or home of rebels in the cave, suddenly it's a lot more interesting.

To tell a good story, every location needs personality. Therefore I'd avoid dungeon generator or default maps. If you really want to use it, at least modify it.

HumanNinjaToo

The Cheerful Pessimist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
They are good as an example of how to do some things with the editor, but the default maps look kinda bad IMO. They are very boxy and don't use the space well.

Frostorm

[]D[][]V[][]D aka "Staf00"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Where are these "default maps" you guys speak of? When I start a new project, it just gives me a blank grassy plain.

Ace of Spades

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
If it's your first game and only plan on showing family/friends, I would say go for it. If you plan on releasing your game to others on the forums, I would advise against using any of the premade maps. The sample maps are there for new users to see some examples of how to use the tiles.

If I load up a project and see one of the default maps, I'd be under the impression the creator has little to no experience with RPG Maker. It'd be the same thing if I see the default title screen and 'Theme6' start playing, or if the default character is named Harold... I'm immediately turned off because it shows how little effort went into the project.

Everyone has to start somewhere, but the only way you're going to learn and develop your skills is by doing it yourself. Your first few maps might look 'ugly', and that's okay... it's part of the growing process. The best way to learn is to practice. I'm sure other users can testify to how many times we've remade our maps multiple times, with each iteration becoming more honed and refined.

Hope this input was helpful, good luck with your project!

Quexp

Lifelong Learner
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Where are these "default maps" you guys speak of? When I start a new project, it just gives me a blank grassy plain.
In maps list (lower-left of screen), right-click and select "Load".

I think it depends on who the game is for. Friends/Family most likely won't mind but other RPG Maker users will find them boring as they have seen them in games numerous times. This is your first game though so I say relax and have fun with it. Don't be afraid to explore and try new things though! :)

RayGarden7

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Their nothing wrong with using a few and even making new one based on the default maps. If you plan on making a game you need to take the time to create your own it adds a since of uniqueness to the game. It can be so time consuming if you need help you can find useful video's on Youtube.

Beregon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Czech
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Eh, it depends.

In one of my first learning projects, I used three sample maps (out of 20 total).

First was the sci-fi Item Shop map, which was used for the inside of the corner shop near the MCs house.

Second was the Park map, which was basically only there for one important plot cutscene that transitioned the game from day to night. I only added events there, like allowing the vending machines there to actually be useable and adding descriptions to the points of interest already there as well as a minor collectible. The park map already fit its purpose perfectly and the premade layout and decorations gave me some ideas that I then put into the game, like the useable vending machines.

Third was a part of the Office 2F sample map, where I just had the bathroom part represent the inside of the public men's restroom in the aforementioned park. This map was only there to be a part of the cutscene in said park and the player would actually only see it for about five seconds at most. I later added a minor collectible there to give it more of a point, but the player would have to go out of their way to find it.

It is actually a good practice to be "lazy" where you can afford it without losing anything important, since it saves time and allows you to focus more on the important things. Plugin developers make Core Engines, so that they don't have to rewrite the same code over and over again. But you have to be smart about it. I doubt anyone but the really hardcore hardcore RM devs who know the engine like the back of their hand would even recognize that the public restroom in the park was originally a part of a sample map. And since the player would normally only see it during a very short part of one cutscene, where the MC says one line and washes his hands, who cares? It saves time.

However, If you use something like the Normal Town sample map from MV for your starting city, you are likely to turn away even people who never used RPG maker, but played some other games made with it. And if you make your whole game only using sample maps without even worrying about how they fit together, well that's on a whole different level entirely.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

NeoPGX wrote on Kes's profile.
Oh hey I just saw your comment on my profile status update.

The thing is I have twitter set up mark all my content as being potentially sensitive by default. I do it as a precaution even though I very rarely upload any such content.
I'm the fly in your soup
I'm the pebble in your shoe
I'm the pea beneath your bed
I'm the bump on every head
I'm the peel on which you slip
I'm the pin in every hip
I'm the thorn in your side
Makes you wriggle and writhe
And it's so easy when you're evil
bro how do I have over 30 OCs
A good way to mix your own music? What's the learning curve on that?
Would it be better to pay a composer?
What theme for the next windowskin? You'll decide. Tell what you wanna see and I'll try for.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jealousguy