HappyCrover

I'm Princess Bee! Nice to meetcha!
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Hello! If someone can help me with this it would be awesome:

I have different "weapons" that can be equipped by the player. (Who am I kidding. They just farm tools lol)

I have it where if you have the right tool equipped, you can interact with the corrosponding event. (Example, when Axe is equipped, you can chop down a branch, pickaxe with rocks etc.)

Id like it that when you press a key (Either the interact key or a new key just for tools) the character will show an animation using the tool they have equipped, regardless if there is an event there to interact with. (Id prefer a new key for tools exclusively, but that would mean only being able to use the tool with the tool key and not the default interact key when interacting with an event.)

Please explain in very simple terms because Im just a beginner and Im not familiar with the program. Thank you!!

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Problem is, some of those specifics are difficult to explain unless you know the basics of how the engine and the events work.

For example the easiest way to solve this
I have it where if you have the right tool equipped, you can interact with the corrosponding event. (Example, when Axe is equipped, you can chop down a branch, pickaxe with rocks etc.)
is exactly the other way around - you can always interact with the events for tree, rocks etc - but the events check what weapon/tool you have equipped and only react if it is the right one, doing nothing (visible) when it is the wrong one.

I suggest you take about a month or so to work through the tutorials linked in my starting point for new users (see my signature), that will give you the basics of eventing. And in a month or so, if you still have questions after working through those tutorials, then we can continue with those remaining questions.

HappyCrover

I'm Princess Bee! Nice to meetcha!
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
That definitely makes sense! I guess I should clarify though that I have some basic knowledge of events and the engine. This is my first "real" project though so I don't have as much experience.

Your suggestion certainly would work, but wouldnt that make it so you only do the animation when interacting with events, and not anywhere on the map?

But I will for sure study your tutorials and see what I can do. Thanks a bunch!

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
yes, that way the animation will only happen if you interact with the correct event.

However, your idea of having the animation always on keypress is not as simple as it sounds on reading - because Ace has only limited keyboard support and you would need a parallel process running all times for that one.

Latest Profile Posts

Tarzanthecat wrote on hiddenone's profile.
THANK YOU SO MUCH HIDDENONE ADSKFSJDFSKDF
Another unscheduled stream for Lightestone~ this time because we hit affiliate! Aaaahh- So other than the game we're also going to work on emotes/badges/etc!

www.twitch.tv/riazey
Is it necroposting if I ask for more info in my own months old thread? All the information in the thread is relevant
JRPG TextBox HTML - Part 2:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lark_Larkington