using GIMP 2.0 for tiles

Discussion in 'Resource Support' started by omeg, Aug 24, 2019.

1. omeg

omeg Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    french
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hello,
    I want to use GIMP for edit some tiles someone did for me ,but in one tiles(rock wall) seems broken.
    when i hold left click ans spread the graphics(96X96) this whole block work perfectly but if i want to put another block next to it the overlaps eat a part so i get my self with this:

On the left the normal tile for this wall and on the right what happen after setting more than 96X96px.
    Maybe there is easiest way or tools for edit or create autotile/tiles

2. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    looks like you misunderstood how autotiles work - unfortunately you cut away that part of the editor that would show us which tiles you're using.

there are six different formats for tilesheets. A tilesheet with the format for A1 can ONLY be used in the slot A1, any other slots would cause problems with the display. same goes for the Formats A2 to A5. Only tiles formatted for B can be used in any of the B-E slots, and none of those sheets can be used in any A#-slot.

so to help you, we need to see the original tilesheet and know for which of the tileslots it was made.
    You can also look for the official blog post called "anatomy of an autotile" to learn more about this.

Kauzz likes this.
  3. ShadowDragon

ShadowDragon Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    depends if its placed in on the wall (A4) and not else where. with the correct size of the sheet. if you have problems with only
    that wall part, what happend if you place that on the B-E tile? does the same happen as well?

so far I understand the wall, it is 16x24x16 or 12x12x12x12 so im not entirely sure if that rock will eventually match on the
    wall tile, but surely does on B-E tile otherwise.

As far the editor does, GIMP is free and similair to Photoshop. Krita is also free with nice and power full feature.
    the one you prefer that works, is the one you use. all editor are the same in editing though.

4. omeg

omeg Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    french
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Andar Basicly this a A4 tiles so its in my A4 but as you see don't fit correctly.I already looked this topic aswell and set gimp grid to 24x24 space between gris(read that in another topic).
    I didn't create myself so hard to see what is wrong when i follow all instructions ^^

5. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    neither
    I really suggest people should at least read that blog topic "anatomy of an autotile" before trying to work with A#-tilesheets...
    of course it doesn't fit that way. you can't simply split an autotile into those quarters.
    an autotile needs to be created in a way that each of the quarter tile borders fits several other borders, which is why I always refer people to that specific topic.

6. omeg

omeg Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    french
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @ShadowDragon this wall is 96*96 px(4X 48X48 square).I don't know what you mean by 12/12/12/12 ^^
    I saw something about pixel edit who seems much better

So you are right in B section no problems for this wall but all other texture don't overlaps anymore.So if i understand only A category can overlaps?
    Here a screenshot of my gimp settings for the grid :

7. omeg

omeg Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    french
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Andar The autotiles was not made by myself i just copy past in a grid to add some graphics on it (some shards),so the graphic(tile) itself is wrong and in this case the grid is not the problem,right ?

8. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    wrong, that is why I told you to read up on "anatomy of an autotile".

A wall tile is 96x96 pixel, but that is NOT four times 48x48 pixels. it is sixteen times 24x24 pixel.
    Each autotile you see on the map is internally constructed from four 24x24 pixel quarters, and those quaters are selected from the sixteen (or twenty in case of a floor autotile) quartertiles that are part of the autotile - but NOT the adjacent ones, the selection depends on the neighboring autotiles. The outer twelve quartertiles are used for the borders, while the center four quatertiles are used for the internal part of the wall.

that is why you can't simply increase the size of the autotile...

Please read the topic I referred you to, "Anatomy of an autotile" - you cannot change any autotile without completely understanding how it is used and constructed.