Using music from other video games in your RPG Maker Project

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jamalMV, Jan 21, 2017.

1. jamalMV

jamalMV Villager Member

First Language:
    english
    This may seem like a "state the obvious" kind of thing to discuss but i'm wondering what people think about using music from your favourite rpgs or other genres of games you've grown up with in your own RPG Maker project, any thoughts?

2. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV

If it's a commercial game, then it's a definite no-no and you risk legal repercussions if you do it.  Even if your game is not commercial, it's not unknown for games to be taken down because they've used resources ripped from other games, and it would be a kindness on the part of the copyright holder to let you off so lightly.  Whether commercial or not, it's illegal to use resources that you don't have the rights to use.  So the official answer is no, and the unofficial answer is, is it worth it to you to take the risk?

Why use music from other games?  If your game is special enough, get custom music for it.  Or find nice music that is being shared freely by its owner.

3. RMVNex

RMVNex Some guy from the internet... Veteran

First Language:
    FR (Perfect EN)
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I personally think it's a great thing to do if it's for a non-commercial project. You're just doing it for fun, so what's wrong with using music you like? For commercial projects however I would have to say that I don't think it's a great idea unless you buy the music or something.

4. imnonoob

imnonoob Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I've never used songs ripped right from games but I have used OCRemix, which many people post remixes to Video Game Soundtracks. A lot of awesome content on there, for most games you can think of.

5. Diretooth

Diretooth Lv. 23 Werewolf Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Generally speaking, using resources from commercial games is a no-no, even if you're doing it for the heck of it. It's better to use resources that are specifically allowed for RM usage, even if they are not for commercial use, for non-commercial games.

6. Slammy

Slammy Protector of the Library Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Personally, I don't see anything wrong with using music from existing games so long as your project is either a fan game or a personal project that you don't intend to make any profit off of. 

Most companies won't take action against these kinds of projects unless they get rather popular, as shown with games like Pokemon Uranium and that Metroid remake. That said, there is still a risk involved and you should always go into projects with the risk in mind if you do intend to use existing music.

However, if you do intend for something commercial or a more serious non-commercial project, I'd consider it a major no, especially for the possible repercussions from doing so in a commercial game.

7. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Whether it us for a commercial game or not does not change the fact that it is illegal and unethical.  The only difference between commercial and free is the size of the penalty you might face. It boils down to whether you have a conscience or not about stealing.  I am aware this this may sound harsh, but so be it. My own games have been cracked and the exclusive content freely shared and I am not okay about this, but I lack the resources to do anything about it. That does not make me a happy bunny.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2017
    Ms Littlefish and mlogan like this.
  8. Dreadshadow

Dreadshadow Lv 38 Tech Magician Moderator

First Language:
    Greek
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    2 hours ago, I replied to a similar question. You might find the reply handy.

9. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Rusty_Gears: The problem comes down to copywrite and trademark law. In some countries, the creator is REQUIRED to sue you, or abandon the IP. Yes, it sounds harsh, but that's the way the law is written. So, if you are in those countries (or using property from those countries) all you can do is hope they never find you, due to how the law is written.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2017
  10. Larry Jones

Larry Jones Veteran Veteran

Would you use graphics from another game? Characters from another game? Dialogue from another game? Level design from another game? etc etc. If you said "no" to any of those but think music is different, I'd urge you to consider why you think that?

I understand the appeal if you like the music you are used to. I'd ask, what's the point? I'm sure there's so much free music that could fit your game well in similar style to the tracks you're admiring, and in addition, this forum has resource requests, resource workshops and so on. If you're pretty serious about getting music you want, you could always pay for a professional composer but obviously that would make a lot more sense for a commercial game than a non-commercial game, and I'm guessing if you're ripping it off games that already exist then you're unlikely to consider that!

(And as another possibility, you can always use the other games' music at placeholders while you work on your project and then get it switched out later for royalty free or custom-made music before releasing.)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2017
  11. MobileSuitSonic

MobileSuitSonic Mod Magnet Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    What if you transfer music from an earlier version you owned to the one you have now?

12. Reapergurl

Reapergurl Drummer Extraordinaire! xD Veteran

First Language:
    British English
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    Okay, so this is an issue Harmonix faced down in every single game they made.

So, they went to WaveGroup for help.

Without drawing out the entire history of one game series, and most of a single company's history...

Covers are a great idea. However, there is still the possibility of litigation, but that's simply because people get mad when they think someone may be trying to pass off a cheesy version of their music as their own.

That's why...

• Smoke on the Water
    • As Made Famous By
    • Deep Purple
    • Covered by WaveGroup

It helps to lessen the tension. Maybe (nothing is ever one-hundred percent and is often a massive grey area).

13. Jiffy

Jiffy Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Whenever I hear music from another game. I kinda just face palm and close it most of the time. Not only is it illegal most of the time, but it feels like I'm not playing a game that actually tried, as they just ripped music off another game. That's just my opinion though :)

14. Ms Littlefish

Ms Littlefish Dangerously Caffeinated Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    A lot of people have already stated the obvious legal issues, but another angle to consider is that when you use a popular asset that doesn't belong to you it rips the players out of your game and puts them into the game being stolen from. So, as much as you might love that song it does your game a great disservice by leading everyone to think about how great the other game is instead of paying attention to your game. While the legality of the issue should be enough deterrent, I'd then raise the question if you really want to distract your players and weaken their immersion.

mlogan likes this.
  15. MobileSuitSonic

MobileSuitSonic Mod Magnet Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    What if you were to transfer default music tracks from your old copy of RMVX to a copy of RMMV?

16. TheOriginalFive

TheOriginalFive Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Yes, you can transfer assets from one RPGMaker engine to another, provided you own a copy of each.