Donutdude

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Hey all!

I was wondering how to go about using MV tiles on an Ace project. I just vastly prefer the style of MV characters and tiles over that of Ace, however I prefer the Ace system over that of MV. 

The Character sets are no problem as they can match Ace just fine. But the tiles are completely distorted when I drag them into the Ace project folder.

I was thinking perhaps if the default Ace tileset size were altered, made larger, it might get them to fit. But I also found that the MV tiles include text files for them. So I'm not sure what's necessary to make them work.

Thanks in advance!

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
MV tiles are larger than Ace tiles.  MV uses 48x48 and Ace uses 32x32.  

There is a plugin for MV to allow it to use different sized tiles, but there is no similar option for Ace, due to the necessary classes being hidden and inaccessible.

You will need to resize your tiles in an image editing program.  There are a number of threads on here already discussing what programs to use, what settings, and how to get the best appearance.

If you resize your tiles, you will likely also need to resize all the characters as well, as they're also based on a default size of 48x48 and will not fit the Ace map grid, so the collision area will be smaller, and the sprites will overlap.

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You could always use the MV tiles to parralax your maps if you really wanted.

Donutdude

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
MV tiles are larger than Ace tiles.  MV uses 48x48 and Ace uses 32x32.  

There is a plugin for MV to allow it to use different sized tiles, but there is no similar option for Ace, due to the necessary classes being hidden and inaccessible.

You will need to resize your tiles in an image editing program.  There are a number of threads on here already discussing what programs to use, what settings, and how to get the best appearance.

If you resize your tiles, you will likely also need to resize all the characters as well, as they're also based on a default size of 48x48 and will not fit the Ace map grid, so the collision area will be smaller, and the sprites will overlap.

Thank you for your response! Would you be able to direct me to one such thread which states how to go from MV to Ace please? I've found plenty of the opposite, but so far haven't found one that explains what I need.

EDIT: On second thought, I'm not sure if this would be a solution. The Ace characters are quite tiny in comparison to those of MV and as such, don't seem to be able to contain as much detail. So essentially what I'm looking for is how to use the default MV sized tiles and character sheets on Ace.

Thanks again!

Last edited by a moderator:

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
EDIT: On second thought, I'm not sure if this would be a solution. The Ace characters are quite tiny in comparison to those of MV and as such, don't seem to be able to contain as much detail. So essentially what I'm looking for is how to use the default MV sized tiles and character sheets on Ace.

You are correct in that reducing the size will cause loss of details - the MV Tile were able to contain more details because they contain more pixels.

However, it is absolutely impossible to use the larger tiles in the Ace-editor, and any other claim is impossible because it would break the EULA's restriction against changing the editor. You can only use parallax mapping, and even that would throw off the grid spacing, so it's not really a solution unless you go to pixel movement scripts as well

however I prefer the Ace system over that of MV. 

???

What exactly are you talking about here?

Other than the fact that the database tabs are vertical instead of horizontal, there is no difference between Ace and MV above the scripting level (I don't count minor improvements like 6 instead of 4 options in show choice a difference, and those improvements are on MV)

Donutdude

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
You are correct in that reducing the size will cause loss of details - the MV Tile were able to contain more details because they contain more pixels.

However, it is absolutely impossible to use the larger tiles in the Ace-editor, and any other claim is impossible because it would break the EULA's restriction against changing the editor. You can only use parallax mapping, and even that would throw off the grid spacing, so it's not really a solution unless you go to pixel movement scripts as well

???

What exactly are you talking about here?

Other than the fact that the database tabs are vertical instead of horizontal, there is no difference between Ace and MV above the scripting level (I don't count minor improvements like 6 instead of 4 options in show choice a difference, and those improvements are on MV)

Thank you for your response! For me, it was never really so much about the MV tiles themselves as it was about the size and amount of quality I could use. Oh well though, I'm sure I'll find another way to make it work without changing the editor. I just thought I'd see if anyone had any ideas to get me started!

As for Ace vs. MV, I'm sure MV is a great system and after a while might even be better than Ace once it gets all the right plug-ins. However, so far Ace has the scripts I planned on using for my project whereas MV does not.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

The projectiles shown in this video are as follows:
1, Basic Triple
2, 30-Degree Arc
3, Randomized Blast Wave
4, 8-way
5, 8-way Double
6, 8-way Slowness
7, 120-Degree Arc Repetitive
8, Projective Triple
9, Split 8-way
10, 2-way Split Randomized Arc
11, HP-MP Split Arc
12, Split Laser
13, Shock
14, Cosine
Drop shadows and water reflections tests in RPG Maker VX Ace

BgI3F80.png
I'm doing a fairy tale project Little Red Riding Hood and the Woodsman. I'm almost done with the demo in my native language and I intend to make a demo version in English as well. I'm just going to use the translator because I don't know the pronunciations very well, I only know how to say "Hey" and nothing else.. :kaoswt2:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ghn