Using parallax images over the map tool graphics

What workflow you use for constructing your maps?

• I use only the native map tool from RMMV and have no variations in the scenes.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I construct my scenes from multiple images and use layering plugins to combine them.

• I mix these two workflows.

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Wut?

• Total voters
Reaction score
First Language
Finnish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi.

I'm totally new to RPG Maker, but I have a professional background from other engines. So far I love the simplicity of RPG Maker, but there are just a few minor tweaks that could make the engine shine. Too bad the developer isn't making those changes and we need to do it ourselves.. But at least that's possible.

So a few words about my question. It's very specific and I haven't found any information of this workflow. So far, what I have understood, is that we have two possible workflows for our scenes: 1. Use map tool from RMMV. 2. Use Photoshop or any image processing tool to construct your own map from scratch. (use plugin for layering)

So my question is: Can you mix these two? This would mean that I could have transparent tiles on my map which will show the original "parallax" layer on the background. However I want one layer (or more) over the map tool -made graphics. I haven't gone too far inside the scripting system or the engine core itself yet, because I want to keep this project simple and fun as making games with RPG maker should be. But only this one layer on top of the events and other RMMV graphics would be enough.

I think the question is that can you change the draw order of the added graphics compared to the map tool graphics (tiles) itself. I would guess that if this would be possible, all those overlay plugins (like Orange Overlay for example) would utilize this workflow already. All the tutorials and plugins that I have found makes you to build your scene from ground up without using the grid based map system. For me, this makes using RMMV futile, because in that case I would already use a different engine. I want to keep it simple.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Husband has roped me into playing one of his PSO2 characters. Productivity is now negative.
Tileset A is lava! Don't burn D:
as MZ come out what you guys think about.....Some particles engine :3c?
Who wants to sing this song with me?~

Decided to submit my games to the Monday Night Stream. Figured it might be a fun way to get some traction.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LavaWave