Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi everybody,

hope you all are doing fine.

I had great fun doing my first game in the last two years. Now I am planning to do another game together with my students, I think it could be great.
Problem is that RPG Maker doesn't seem good to work in a collaborative way.
Could it be possible to have groups of people working on differents aspects of the game (maps, graphics, characters, dialogues, etc...) on different machines, and then putting all together in some way?
Sharing the game folder sounds problematic to me.
Copy-and-pasting things could work, but this too soulds problematic.
Any other ideas?
Thanks!

Zozma

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Copy and paste works across projects, assuming both projects share the same files. So you can, for example, have a project 1 that's the main game, have project 2 where they work on the animations, project 3 where they work on the maps, and so on. Then you simply copy the respective elements over from the sub projects into the main projects

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
it has been done before, especially with maps.

you'll need one master copy.
first step is to make a lot of empty maps in it, possibly around 10 per mapper planned.

then give a copy of that to everyone, but assign specific tasks like one person to add items, one person to add actors, one mapper to work on maps 1-10, the second mapper to work on maps 11-20 and so on.

then every few working hours, you copy the changed files together into the master copy, but no file that remains unchanged from before and only one of the updated database files each.
after that redistribute everything around.

if one of the mapper wants a new sword for a treasure chest or a new troop for a battle event, that task needs to be relayed to the person(s) responsible for those parts and delayed until the next combination and distribution brings the database entry to everyone.

and if the mappers have their assigned maps finished, add another 10 to the master copy and tell them which are their next reserved block.

If you are using an online system to distribute the master copy, it is extremely important that it supports versioning and branching - but if it does, you can try to have everyone integrate their own files to speed up the integration cycle.

heroslegend

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Ideally you would want to work in some verson control software like Perforce, but sadly due to the structure of a RPG Maker project no 2 people can work on the game at the same time without overwriting another developers work. Collaboration through Github kind of works because of possible code reviews but all developers need to do some extra work before starting the project because of the poorly unreadable structure of the .json data files.

Here is a link to a nice community plugin and all the down to the bottom of the readme document. I show how devs can prettify .json so that it is better for code reviews.
https://github.com/ImaginaryVillain/community_lights

Hope this helps.

ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It's really not too difficult. As the prior posters said, you can easily open one person's version of the project and copy and paste into your master version.

And if you're a bit more computer-savvy, you can even do it at a file level (the person working on maps only needs to share those specific .json files).

The person writing dialogue technically doesn't need to be using RPG Maker at all, they can write everything out and you paste it into events.

One important thing to note is that if you're using any paid assets (plugins/tilesets/art), anyone who's using those assets in their work needs to have the rights to them. Plugins often allow anyone in projects to get a copy, but most tilesets and such are licensed on a personal level, so a copy would need to be purchased for each person using them.

Fufi_Saintz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Zozma thank you for reassuring me about the copy-and-paste method. Thanks @Andar too for your idea of how to organise things, I'll sure need to think it good before starting.
@heroslegend the idea sounds good, I'll defintely have a look at it and see if it's right for me.
@ATT_Turan the idea of sharing only .jsons files is great, especially to insert dialogues when a map is done, that would sure speed the work up.

CleanWater

Neutral Good Battle Master
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Português BR
Primarily Uses
RMMV
People already said everything I would here.

Once a time I used a private Git repository to work with a partner. The project didn't went well though, but because of human factors.

Besides that, you can easily use a master copy like it was already suggested here and keep a main repository on Git or similar.

Fufi_Saintz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hey people, I got another question: the copy-and-paste option works between MV and MZ too?
Anyone tried this?

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
you can convert a project from MV to MZ, but not back.
after it is MZ everyone has to use MZ.

Fufi_Saintz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
you can convert a project from MV to MZ, but not back.
after it is MZ everyone has to use MZ.
OK, but in reference to what said earlier, if I use MZ to make the "master copy" of the game and other people (mappers, etc) uses MV it should work, right?

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
if I use MZ to make the "master copy" of the game and other people (mappers, etc) uses MV it should work, right?
no, that would be a bad idea. Please read what I wrote above about the maps
The mappers would have to get their base files (empty maps) copied and assigned from the master copy.

your idea will work once at the beginning (everyone starts at MV) but after the first batch has been converted to MZ there will be no going back.

and really? MZ has the improved manual layer control that is completely missing in MV. do you really want to force your team to work without that when the target is an MZ game?
mapping is one of the two big things that were improved by MZ, and if you disable that then there is much less reason to use MZ at all (the other big change are the animations)

Fufi_Saintz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Got it, thank you.
Switching to MZ would be especially for newer Mac support.
I had almost a couple hundred people who wants to play my last game made in MV but can't do that.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Sometimes I wonder why I still try and recruit others to help with my games. It never works.
ScreenShot_10_3_2022_4_27_17.png
welp, thanks to Luna MV, I was able to add the Balloon as a window... thus allowing me to edit the font color and outline... so now it looks like comic bubbles above characters. I have NO idea why I couldn't get this to work through more conventional means, but here we are.
CUTE CUTE CUTE.gif
I cannot cease doing cute art
War and Wonder is a 100% choice-based open-world visual novel.
1664821313732.png
1664821466359.png
1664821547746.png
Going live soon on Twitch, and will continue Fortunastreet's game "Verloren". For those who are curious, you are welcome to join ;)

-> Franz' Twitch channel

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KyzerKiba