Using skills outside battle?

Discussion in 'RGSSx Script Support' started by CheshireJelly, May 27, 2014.

Tags:
  1. CheshireJelly

CheshireJelly Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Hello~ I was wondering if anyone could explain to me how I might be able to make it possible to use certain skill outside of battle as well as in battle. For example I want a part where there are unlit torches and using a fire spell causes them to be lit. Or another area where its pitch black but using a light spell makes it bright. Also can I do all this with eventing only? I don't like using scripts.

2. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    You MIGHT be able to do it by giving your skill a common event, and then in the common event determine if you're in battle or not, and take the appropriate action. The only problem with this is that (I think) damage has already been calculated and displayed, so you can't influence the battle display via your common event.

The way I have done it is to create two skills with the same name, that do different things, and set one to be used in battle only, and the other to be used via the menu only. Then I've modified my Skills scripts to only show skills with the correct context (in battle, you will only see the battle-version of the skill; outside of battle you will only see the menu-version of the skill). The player doesn't know they're using two different skills.

3. Cadh20000

Cadh20000 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    How would I do that?

As someone who is totally new to scripting, those scripts didn't make any sense at all.

4. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Add this to a new script slot. Place it above any other custom scripts:

class Window_SkillList < Window_Selectable def include?(item) item && item.stype_id == @stype_id && [0,2].include?(item.occasion) endendclass Window_BattleSkill < Window_SkillList def include?(item) item && item.stype_id == @stype_id && [0,1].include?(item.occasion) endendBut before you do that, do you have ANY other scripts added that affect battles or skills? If so, provide links to the forum post or blog article where you originally got the script.Moving to RGSSx Script Support

Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2014
  5. Cadh20000

Cadh20000 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Not yet, but I will later. I know what I want to do and am still checking out different scripts to see what would work best.

Thank you for the info though. I'll keep track of this for later when I do get a script list sorted out.

6. CheshireJelly

CheshireJelly Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Well I kind of answered my own question I just used a conditional branch for if the skill exists... but that only worked on lighting torches... I'd like to keep from using scripts too... 

7. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    If you want to avoid scripts, then you have to use common events. A common event can detect whether you're in battle or not (Conditional Branch: Script: $game_party.in_battle) then just do what you want in the if/else parts.