FrancoBash

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Hey,

I was wondering if anyone knew how to have the Substitute state function in different ways. In my game I'd like for their to be three methods existing simultaneously:

- Protect - Defend allies at critical health. This is hardcoded into the game already so its chill.
- Bodyguard - Select an ally and take damage in their place for one turn. This is evidently not in the game.
- Bodyguard All - Take damage in place of all allies for one turn.

If anyone had any advice or suggestions that'd be much appreciated. I don't necessarily mind scrapping the system, but it'd be nice to have!

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
you'll need a plugin to add those effects to the engine. And then some consideration on how to implement the bodyguard one effect as that needs targets for both bodyguard and protectee.

Trihan

Speedy Scripter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
The way I would do this would be to use VisuStella's core plugins and then have the skills add a state to the target. In that state I would have a <JS Pre-Damage As Target> notetag which would set target to origin.

FrancoBash

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
The way I would do this would be to use VisuStella's core plugins and then have the skills add a state to the target. In that state I would have a <JS Pre-Damage As Target> notetag which would set target to origin.

I am using VisuStella's stuff and having tried this it seemed to do nothing. Pre-Damage does give me some neat ideas tho for other stuff.

Trihan

Speedy Scripter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
What did you try exactly?

FrancoBash

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I simply did what you said (Added <JS Pre-Damage As Target> to a state which is then applied to a target).

I'm new to the JavaScript stuff though, so I'm not really sure what to do. I used Ruby pretty extensively in the past with VX Ace and have experience with C# (Made a simple 3rd person action game in Unity) so I'm not a total noob for coding but again not really sure what I should be doing here.

eward638

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I hope it's okay to respond to such an old thread, but I was looking through the forums for the same thing, but later found an answer off of the forums, so I figured I'd share it. I found somebody who made a free plugin to help create customized substitute skills. Here's the link to their page where they offer their plugins.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Well, I'm quickly recovering from Covid, but I'm still broke and injured lol. I miss working on my game! I think I've figured out a lore-friendly way to do a tutorial section separate from the main gameplay, but it'll take some scripting know-how. Which I don't have. And can't afford. :p
I think Kipling said it best.

If you can make one heap of all your winnings
And risk it on one turn of pitch-and-toss,
And lose, and start again at your beginnings
⁠And never breathe a word about your loss,
(...)
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
⁠And—which is more—you'll be a Man, my son!

Do you feel like your modern cities are too clean? I made some dumpsters and trash variations. Visit my MZ resource thread (link in signature).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SatansTeaParty