applepumpkins

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Hi everyone! I've been dabbling into using events for cutscenes and I'm unfortunately having difficulty stopping an event that initiates after a scene/battle, and stopping and separate event (NPC monster sprite).

The one event is a cat which is a character that will join the party after battle & dialogue. The other is the monster shown in the screen shots below.

When I try to add a switch it either completely erases the full scene & battle. Or erases the two sprites used for the scene. With the switch, does anyone have any suggestions on how/where to put this into the code? Thank you!!
1.png 2.png
This is the 1st event that contains the main scene & battle. I added the switch at the top :)

cat.pnggoblin.png

These are the two separate events, I'm not sure how/where to put the switch so that the monster is permanently deleted & so that there can be a cutscene with the cat talking after the battle is finished. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The short answer is you put things where they should happen.

So if the cat event starts off with the cat not being on the map, you should have page 1 blank. Page 2 would have the cat image and the condition of a game switch (and if it goes away again after the cutscene, a third page with no image and another condition).

If the monster event should disappear at some point, then it needs a second page with no image and the condition of something.

If the cat should appear at the same time that the monster disappears, then they can both have the same switch as their condition on their second pages.

Then the Control Switch event command would be on the line immediately after Battle Processing in your cutscene event.

If the cat is supposed to appear and disappear, you may find it easier to use a variable instead of two switches. Just make the goblin and cat page 2 have the condition of this variable >=1, then page 3 of the cat is >=2.

deus69xxx

Ultima Ratio Regum
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Very quick primer on events for you. this may sound a hair confusing until you read the second part:

events will READ from right to left. the stricter the condition, the farther right.

so, if you have an event that starts out on the screen and you chat with it, page 1 should be button. if this starts other things, change a variable/switch, and then page 2 should be whatever the one you talked with next, and the condition you turned on with auto. and then the battle, turn on a switch or whatever after the win, and have that page 3 on the chat, and other events with the new condition on the next page.

so, your talk to event:
page 1: no conditions, button activate. say some words, My Variable = 1.
page 2: condition: My Variable 1 or more, auto activate. do some stuff, my variable = 2.
page 3: condition: My Variable 2 or more, auto activate. do some other stuff, My Variable = 3.
page 4: condition: My Variable 3 or more, player activate, no picture. no stuff.

another event that'll run in a pre-determined path after first talking to above event, but stops after fight:
page 1: no condition, button activate. picture of girl who wants help.
page 2: condition: My Variable 1 or more, parallel process. move route with wait.****
page 3: condition: My Variable 2 or more, button activate. no stuff.
page 4: condition: My Variable 3 or more, button activate. no picture, no stuff.

****i would put this in my talk to event, because it would be more pertinent, but things do things lol

so, these events start looking at page 4. is My Variable 3 or more? no? look at page 3. rinse, repeat.

this isn't your exact event, but it explains how to set up your cut scenes :)

most of the time, everything will be done from one event, which it looks like you're doing. and depending on your complexity, you could run the whole scene from a blank event that you activate by having the talk to event change a variable to get the ball rolling. i have one at the moment with 15 pages, because things happen 3 different times in that room xD

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
one additional comment because of a big mistake you made:
NEVER have an empty event set to parallel.

parallel means "execute the content in a loop forever", and if there is no content then that costs lag for doing nothing.
set both cat and monster event to action button.

applepumpkins

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Very quick primer on events for you. this may sound a hair confusing until you read the second part:

events will READ from right to left. the stricter the condition, the farther right.

so, if you have an event that starts out on the screen and you chat with it, page 1 should be button. if this starts other things, change a variable/switch, and then page 2 should be whatever the one you talked with next, and the condition you turned on with auto. and then the battle, turn on a switch or whatever after the win, and have that page 3 on the chat, and other events with the new condition on the next page.

so, your talk to event:
page 1: no conditions, button activate. say some words, My Variable = 1.
page 2: condition: My Variable 1 or more, auto activate. do some stuff, my variable = 2.
page 3: condition: My Variable 2 or more, auto activate. do some other stuff, My Variable = 3.
page 4: condition: My Variable 3 or more, player activate, no picture. no stuff.

another event that'll run in a pre-determined path after first talking to above event, but stops after fight:
page 1: no condition, button activate. picture of girl who wants help.
page 2: condition: My Variable 1 or more, parallel process. move route with wait.****
page 3: condition: My Variable 2 or more, button activate. no stuff.
page 4: condition: My Variable 3 or more, button activate. no picture, no stuff.

****i would put this in my talk to event, because it would be more pertinent, but things do things lol

so, these events start looking at page 4. is My Variable 3 or more? no? look at page 3. rinse, repeat.

this isn't your exact event, but it explains how to set up your cut scenes :)

most of the time, everything will be done from one event, which it looks like you're doing. and depending on your complexity, you could run the whole scene from a blank event that you activate by having the talk to event change a variable to get the ball rolling. i have one at the moment with 15 pages, because things happen 3 different times in that room xD
Thank you so much, I followed everyone's suggestions and it worked out!! :D

applepumpkins

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
one additional comment because of a big mistake you made:
NEVER have an empty event set to parallel.

parallel means "execute the content in a loop forever", and if there is no content then that costs lag for doing nothing.
set both cat and monster event to action button.
OHHH I didn't know that either, I just fixed it!!! I'm learning new stuff everyday honestly xD

applepumpkins

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
The short answer is you put things where they should happen.

So if the cat event starts off with the cat not being on the map, you should have page 1 blank. Page 2 would have the cat image and the condition of a game switch (and if it goes away again after the cutscene, a third page with no image and another condition).

If the monster event should disappear at some point, then it needs a second page with no image and the condition of something.

If the cat should appear at the same time that the monster disappears, then they can both have the same switch as their condition on their second pages.

Then the Control Switch event command would be on the line immediately after Battle Processing in your cutscene event.

If the cat is supposed to appear and disappear, you may find it easier to use a variable instead of two switches. Just make the goblin and cat page 2 have the condition of this variable >=1, then page 3 of the cat is >=2.
This is a perfect explanation, I was putting the switch in the wrong spot and that's how I was able to get it to work! Thank you so much for your help! :D :)

slimmmeiske2

Little Red Riding Hood
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMXP

This thread is being closed, due to being solved. If for some reason you would like this thread re-opened, please report this post and leave a message why. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Okay... I'm injured and stuck in bed with a bad knee. And I'm only 24! I shouldn't be limping this badly, but my leg refuses to fully straighten and it hurts if I try to push it.
At least I have my games to work on.
RianQuenlin wrote on Iron_Brew's profile.
To elaborate on "safety" since bgillisp locked the thread, some lunatics will take reports personally and decide to harass people who file reports or otherwise complain about them. Me, I don't care but others seeing that might nope right out of discussion. Being a former mod back in the mid-2000s for some gaming forums in by BYOND days I can tell you some people go crazy.
Excitement: I've spent the last week making a little update package for VE Fog & Overlay, and finally got it working in my test environment!

Dread: Sigma fullscreen and Zeus's map effects are screaming at me when I add them into the mix.
ScreenShot_8_7_2022_0_23_50.png
Unleash the hype beam...
hjyI4gQ.png

Made an attachment for the HUD that I can control the visibility of with switches. This tracks the current amount of items needed to finish a quest. Once you meet the requisite, it turns into "complete" because I figured it would be a good way to tell the player they're done. Also it stops numbers from going off of the UI.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Introvertebrate