Kaszdev

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Hello I was wondering if there's a way to use the shadow pen to set collisions, as I found no use for that being a thing you can do using tilesets.
My game is 16x 16 and pixel movement based (Quxios plugin) so I'd like to have 8x8 collision and I think using the shadow pen could make things easier than using collision maps plugin. Would it be possible with a plugin? or maybe an extension for QMovement?

Last edited:

Kaszdev

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMZ

Kaszdev

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMZ

hiddenone

Lurker Extraordinaire
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMZ

@Kaszdev, please do not bump your topic unless it has been 72 hours later since your last post. You can review our forum rules here. Thank you.

Please remember that the people who could help you may not be online all the time, so you need to be patient.

ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
My game is 16x 16 and pixel movement based (Quxios plugin) so I'd like to have 8x8 collision and I think using the shadow pen could make things easier than using collision maps plugin.
It's possible, but it seems an inefficient way to go about it. You would need this plugin to:
1 - Disable the shadows indicated by the shadow pen
2 - Interface with your movement plugin to interpret it as collisions
And then you're stuck with
3 - What are you going to do to touch up the shadows on your maps and make them look nice?

Since you could just load up a picture of your map in an image editor and draw with a tool basically identical to the shadow pen on a new layer, I don't understand how creating a collision map is less easy than that.

Someone else might differ with me, but I think this is the kind of useful-to-one-person plugin you'd have to commission.

Kaszdev

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
It's possible, but it seems an inefficient way to go about it. You would need this plugin to:
1 - Disable the shadows indicated by the shadow pen
2 - Interface with your movement plugin to interpret it as collisions
And then you're stuck with
3 - What are you going to do to touch up the shadows on your maps and make them look nice?

Since you could just load up a picture of your map in an image editor and draw with a tool basically identical to the shadow pen on a new layer, I don't understand how creating a collision map is less easy than that.

Someone else might differ with me, but I think this is the kind of useful-to-one-person plugin you'd have to commission.
Thanks for your answer.
Shadows are not a problem, since you can have these in your tileset. You just have to change the opacity of a black image / tile in an external editor and put it in your tileset to do it and are no limited as the ones that draw the shadow pen.
The problem with collision maps is that it could cause lag, and you must make lots of pictures. This way would be in the editor and you know that makes all things easier and you don't have to draw lots of pictures which can greatly increase the size of your game.

I personally differ, I think this could be a nice feature for all who make parallaxed games or want to go into a retro style game (my case) which most of these had half tile collisions or 8x8. Chrono Trigger for example.

Last edited:

ShadowDragon

Realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
than why not making "invisible tiles" for collision? that has that effect?

Kaszdev

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
than why not making "invisible tiles" for collision? that has that effect?
The default size of tiles is 48 x 48, the size of the tiles that shadow pen draw are 24x24 so it would mean 24x24 collision. Ithought about use these as collision since it could be a great feature for parallaxed games.

Last edited:

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

This thread is being closed, due to being solved. If for some reason you would like this thread re-opened, please report this post and leave a message why. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Hello! I’d like to ask where is a good place to start logging about my game dev progress as production of my game goes forth
In one of our campus classrooms was a bag full of stuff people forgot there... my bag. That I forgot there xD
You know your room is too tiny for how much stuff you have when it gives you literal insomnia. I just cleared a bunch of stuff out and man it feels good!
1670381555475.png
Meet the Kernel. You encounter him in cyberspace. He's important!
I released a test version of my game on itch.io. If anyone wants to check it out, here's the link (for now in Brazilian Portuguese only, sorry).

https://rafael-lobo.itch.io/insolita

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rog85