WilsonE7

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I'm trying to figure out how to use the !Weapon character sheet (comes with standard RTP). It looks like each weapon (sword, axe, bow, etc.) has 12 animation frames like any normal walking character. But each column is a different animation. The left column is meant for making it shine, the middle rotates through colors, and the right looks like arcing electricity. The middle one is simple to cycle through with a Move Route of Down, Left, Right, Up; but the others are in the place of what would be called "stepping" animations. So, turning on "Stepping Animation" will cause it to animate in a way that doesn't make sense. How do I use the left or right column without showing the middle column? I've tried looking through the Move Route commands, but I haven't found something that looks promising. Am I missing something?

Edit: I have a workaround that involves making the sprite a parallel event and using self-switches to constantly change the image to the exact frame I want, but that seems inefficient. Isn't there a more...direct way to do what I'm asking? If not, then I'll use that. Just putting it out there.

Edit again: The self-switch method worked, but it's a bit roundabout. I make each frame on a separate page (4 pages total). Each page is Parallel. On each page, I wait 15 frames and trigger the next self-switch. The last page waits 15 frames and toggles them all off, resetting to frame 1. I could use regular switches to extend this and make it cycle back in a 1-2-3-4-3-2-1 motion. If anyone has a one-page method, I'd love to hear it.

Last edited:

coyotecraft

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I think you're over thinking it. When you set the event's graphic you simply select the left or right column to begin with. As you said, turning on the Stepping Animation will cause problems...so don't turn it on.
In my opinion, only the first column is meant to be animated. The middle column can be animated as a prism weapon, but the frames can be used individually as elemental blades: Fire, Water, Wind, and Earth. The 3rd column looks to me like a Frozen weapon, a Broken Weapon, and a Cursed Weapon (alternating between up and down directions).

!Weapons.png aside, unfortunately, due to inbreeding, Rpg Maker's 'set move route > change image' command has lost the ability to freely select individual frames. It's been missing ever since RMXP.

However MZ does remember the initial column that you set the event image too. So while there's no easy way to utilize all 96 frames of an 8 character sheet. You have at least the 32 frames of the corresponding column across the 8 sets.
Just ignore the image preview when you use 'change image'; it's not changing the event to that specific frame, it's only changing the filename and set index while keeping the relative step/direction the event was using in that moment.

WilsonE7

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@coyotecraft So if I'm reading this right, as long as I'd initially selected the upper-left frame, I can still use the Turn Up/Down/Left/Right move commands and it'll stay in that column?

Aesica

undefined
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Just from looking at them, I don't think these are even meant to be animated so much as just used as different weapon events the player can interact with in the world. I am however intrigued now and might try to shuffle them around into something that does animate properly...

WilsonE7

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Just from looking at them, I don't think these are even meant to be animated so much as just used as different weapon events the player can interact with in the world. I am however intrigued now and might try to shuffle them around into something that does animate properly...
The left column is for a sparkling weapon and the right one is for an electric weapon. I got them working! @coyotecraft was right: I just selected the upper-left frame and used a Turn Left/Right etc. Move Route and it stayed in that column and animated perfectly.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Thanks, google for putting together a random pixel art Olympics game in your logo that puts everything I've ever done to shame in pretty much every aspect. ;)
Chizuru
chizuru.png

anyway, i just recovered from Covid.
Work's been delayed for a month but now i'm back drawing again.
Ah yes i learned how to make name boxes Im now profeshonal
The snowy mountains in my game are finally done... what a crazy journey.
I participated in the official video event collection!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-G-Games