V1.6 Update is Causing Various Problems In My Game Project

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV' started by AdamSakuru, Feb 22, 2018.

1. AdamSakuru

AdamSakuru StudioDaeera Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Holy hell, this has been annoying.
    After the new update my battle scenes freeze during the events on Turn 0.

[​IMG]

I have my battle scene appear to have a window open from a completely black screen with the battles taking place 'inside' of the window (just images.) These events were working before the update. It moves the actors and enemies off frame, opens the window using images, the battlers move in and then some images come up depending on if the battle is normal, pre-emptive or an ambush. It goes up to the second set of checks for those switches and then it just gets stuck. It doesnt freeze, but everyone just stands there and the rest of the events never occur. If I set the battle to be pre-emptive the images for that event come up but when I try to remove them from the cache with a script call at the end of the event it produces the error seen on the bottom right of this image. So now I can't even clear chached images?

Also, TDDP's PreloadManager plugin isn't working either. It's saying it can't find the audio tracks in their folders. When I commented those audio tracks the game just gets stuck on a "Now Loading..." screen.

I'm worried about future updates just breaking my game, I've put a ton of work into my project so this is troubling for me.

2. Nightblade50

Nightblade50 Developer of "Delta Origins" Veteran

First Language:
    English, French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I can see you have a heavily scripted battle - the new MV update breaks most plugins and/or plugin commands. Try going back to the previous update and see if it works then. If it does, the new JS is the problem. And since I am not a scripter, I can't help you with that. But the version 1.5 (1.5.1) is not too much different.

Side note, I like your battles!

AdamSakuru likes this.
  3. AdamSakuru

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Thanks, man!
    I tried reverting it to V1.5 and it was still doing the same stuff, but thankfully I literally backed my game up yesterday on a few USBs so when I tried that it with the non updated files it worked again.

Can I choose to stay in V1.5? I wasn't aware of being able to pick versions until today. Will it ever force me to update?

Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
  4. Nightblade50

Nightblade50 Developer of "Delta Origins" Veteran

First Language:
    English, French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Good you got your game working.

Nope, it will not force you to update :) I am running V1.5 and it is going just fine!

5. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    There was a change in how files are accessed, which will require ALL plug-in writers to redo their plug-ins if they access files at all. So odds are all plug-in managers will have to be fixed by the coders before they will work again.

6. cyanic

cyanic Veteran Veteran

I don't think it's so much the engine update that's breaking things as the runtime update that is. For reference, here's the diff for the JS between 1.5.1 and 1.6.0. There's not that much that changed.

Nightblade50 likes this.
  7. Jonforum

Jonforum Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    It because
    require('nw.gui').Window.get().showDevTools();
    no more return arg in the nwSJ version
    is not present on a Window object since at least 0.13
    https://github.com/nwjs/nw.js/pull/4865

just remove the code

8. Aloe Guvner

Aloe Guvner Walrus Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I assume you are using a lot of Yanfly scripts?

Yanfly released an emergency fix to the YEP_CoreEngine.js file on their website, which includes this I believe.

Here is the relevant code from the YEP_CoreEngine for v1.5.1.
    What it does is open the console automatically when an error happens in your game to show exactly what the error is. This implies that there could be an underlying error in your event commands, and this error is merely a symptom of that combined with the 1.6.0 upgrade.
    Code:
    Yanfly.Util.displayError = function(e, code, message) {
        console.log(message);
        console.log(code || 'NON-EXISTENT');
        console.error(e);
        if (Utils.isNwjs() && Utils.isOptionValid('test')) {
            if (!require('nw.gui').Window.get().isDevToolsOpen()) {
                require('nw.gui').Window.get().showDevTools();
            }
        }
    };

9. AdamSakuru

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    But the event commands were working perfectly before the update. I have a decent amount of Yanfly plugins but I hadn't tested my game enough with the updated version of the files to see exactly everything that wasn't working. I reverted back to V1.5 after not even being able to get my battles to run, I'm just not going to update unless I absolutely have to. Someone on the RPG Maker Discord hadn't backed their files up in quite some time and lost over 1000 hours of work.

10. cyanic

cyanic Veteran Veteran

I suggest opening up dev tools and taking a look at the stack trace. It should tell you where an error occurred.