Valiance

Discussion in 'Games In Development' started by Robin, Oct 14, 2012.

1. Robin

Robin Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Valiance
     ​
    Valiance is a fantasy adventure RPG that tells the story of the investigation of a mysterious crystalline substance by two members of the storied Escors military force. Academy student Freyja and, ex-soldier of fortune, Alexius are investigating a hex that has covered the nearby town of Rautio, and the connected disappearance of the mayor. The hex and the mayor are only the start of their problems however, as Freyja and Alexius and their companions embark on a journey of personal struggles, a loss of innocence and identity in a shifting and dangerous world, and a confrontation with an evil that seems all but inevitable.

​
    Eudora, a fantasy and science fiction hybrid setting, is one of many regions within the world of Lurra. Considerable diversity can be seen throughout the cultures of the clans and countries across Eudora, a region encompassing independent city-states, kingdoms and empires alike. Eudora is made up from three continents, diverse in their climates and cultures; the verdant Aglaea to the west, the mountainous Thalia to the south, and the vast Euphrosyne to the east, in addition to numerous islands and archipelagos.

Gameplay
     ​
    The gameplay of Valiance is based around exploring the diverse areas of Eudora, solving puzzles and fighting enemies.

Exclusive Class System

Each character will be able to switch between their own exclusive classes as they unlock them throughout the game. This allows you to be able to adapt your party to all manner of situations and gives the player the freedom of using a safe and familiar party set-up for one battle, and then switching to a novel combination of classes for the next. As you unlock all of the available classes, you’ll find there are hundreds of party combinations available for you to experiment with. The classes for each character have been designed to highlight their skills, their personalities, and their character development throughout the game, while also allowing them to fulfil a range of roles within battle.

Booster Packs

Whenever you characters defeat a monster, there’s a chance it will drop a magically charged stone after the battle. Many retailers and travelling merchants will accept these, along with a small fee, as currency for packages of items. Rumour has it that lucky shoppers will occasionally receive extra items in their packages, items which are said to be rather rare and powerful.

Combos

Battles are centred around chaining together skills and status effects that result in unique combos that deliver increased damage and new effects. Take advantage of different class combinations to construct interesting combos and deal heavy damage to opponents. Hit a foe with enough damage and it could result in an Overkill, which will reward you with an experience boost and rare items called delicacies. Like magic stones, these can be traded with merchants, but instead of packages of items, you can purchase rare weapons, armour, and new abilities.

Treasure Trove

Whenever you clear an area of monsters, there is a chance you will be awarded a clear map item bonus. Rewards range from treasure pouches of simple healing items, to treasure chests containing greater rewards, and, for those fortunate enough, treasure troves, holding ancient and valuable artefacts. I wouldn't be surprised if there are those across Eudora who are quite interested in such artefacts, and would ensure that any generous donations you make are worth your while. So, fight or flee, it’s your choice, but I sure wouldn’t want to miss out on any treasure.

Characters
     ​
    The six main playable characters in Valiance include Freyja Fleurette, a mercenary for Escors of the City of Sophia, assigned to protect citizens and secure cities during times of conflict and strife, investigating a hex that has enveloped a nearby town; Alexius Cyrano, the son of a war hero, and an experienced soldier and fighter assigned to a group with Freyja; and Oriana Bedisa, the daughter of a famous engineer and inventor, returning home after a period of time living and studying in Novae Jasque.

Other main and supporting characters include Levante and Sirocco, companions who act as mercenaries to a powerful crime lord and are frequent adversaries of Freyja and her companions.

Freyja Fleurette, ElementalistThaumaturge
    “I didn't expect to see so much... sadness here."

A spirited, young mage with a great underlying strength and resolve, Freyja quickly becomes aware how little she really knows about herself, her magical abilities, and the struggles that seem all too commonplace across Eudora. She is waiting with bated breath and a great sense of hope for the journey she is about to embark on.

Alexius Cyrano, SoliderDragoon
    “We haven't got time to feel bad for everyone we meet, Freyja.”

Alexius previously worked as a mercenary, employed by the Eastern Forces during a recent conflict, but has since joined the Escors. He is taciturn, cold, and aloof, but this reserved nature is coupled with an unyielding sense of loyalty and a determination to always protect others, traits which conflict all too often.

Oriana Bedisa, AlchemistGadgeteer
    "I hope this works…for all our sakes...but mostly yours, as you're the one going inside."

Fresh from spending a year in Novae Jasque, Oriana is returning to Galena. The city showed Oriana new freedom and new ideas, and she is eager in her quest to experience everything life has to offer. Her journey home is one that is set to take her across the ocean and beyond. [SIZE=10pt]While intelligent and sophisticated, she is starry-eyed and quixotic, and still an innocent and romantic young girl, unprepared for the terrifying evil that lies ahead.[/SIZE]

Lorea Lillium, CorsairEnchanter
    "Rasso, I've already made up my mind. I appreciate all you've done for me, but I must go with them."

Lorea is a timid and kind woman, who, after the loss of her family, was found and adopted by Rasso and his crew of pirates. Now a crew member of the ship The Maiden, after seeing Freyja and her companions in need of assistance, she offers to help them out, not realising that they may be able to help her in her quest to finding her sister.

[​IMG]
     ​
    “The sky shines bright blue above the verdant Eskir Valley. Many travellers pass through here on their journeys across the continent.”
    ---

At this time, any and all comments are welcome! If you haven't figured it out, hover over anything that is underlined with "..." to reveal more information. All text in red is part of the latest update.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2014
    marimo, Pink Peach, Reisen and 11 others like this.
  2. Kaiser

Kaiser Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    To be your first comment I will say a few things. First off the description of the game. Absolutely rich! Second, completing missions are sorta okay if done right. Will there be missions that give rewards greater or equal to the amount of work you put in for it? To many triple A games do that were the rewards suck. I hope we get to see some screenshots eventually when some of the maps are presentable ^-^

3. Robin

Robin Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Thanks for your comment.

Missions refer to work that Freyja and her companions do in their role as working for the Sophia Corp. Missions will be both what drives the main story forward, while also being the game's take on side quests, as the party assist people in other towns and cities. It might be a term I abandon eventually, as it can sound less flowing than than talking about the game in terms of chapters.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2012
  4. The Nameless One

The Nameless One Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    The writing and layout of this topic are both quite good. From your post I gather that this game will be character driven, yes? There are too few of that kind of RM game (most are plot or world driven).

5. Robin

Robin Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Yeah, I definitely like to think so. The characters really are the crux of the game. That's not to say Valiance's world isn't interesting, though. :)

6. Hirei

Hirei Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Glad that you finally got this posted! As many others have stated, I like your topic layout.

There is a lot of thought and design put into both the world and characters from what I can see. Can't wait to see this project's screenshots/artwork :D

7. Levi

Levi Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Wonderful! As I've said many times... A fleshy world [well described too, in your case] gets me excited! Beside the amount of the flesh, is it's texture and taste! And this tastes good. Haha. Seems to be very thoughtfully written, with a great deal of consideration at that. I can't wait to hear more!

-Unknown, The History of Lurra, Prologue

This.... THIS! Are you planning on having some manner of material lore in/for this game? Something akin to "Pocket Guide to the Empire" of the Elder Scrolls? If so... :D

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2012
  8. Robin

Robin Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Yeah, the current plan is to have a bunch of in-game lore books. I'm even hoping to look to writers in the community to contribute. The idea being to get some new ideas and different voices and styles in the mix.

9. Robin

Robin Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Thought I'd give a medium-sized update.

- Included information on a new character (and one of their classes)
    - Included a screenshot of Valiance

All text in teal is part of the latest update.

As a quick note, Valiance is looking for a concept artist, amongst other artist positions. If you're interested and feel you could positively contribute to the project, feel free to post or PM me.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2013
  10. MyLordRobinson

MyLordRobinson Emperor of Carnelia Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Oo!! Will you post some screenshots?!

11. Robin

Robin Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    There's one in the main post!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2012
    Hirei likes this.
  12. Cartridge

Cartridge It's all about the guns, man Veteran

First Language:
    Dutch
    Where did you get that resized/recolored XP tree from o_o? been looking for that for ages.

13. tpasmall

tpasmall The Mauve Avenger Veteran

First Language:
    English
    This is the first time I've seen this topic, looks great. It actually reminds me of what I'm doing in some ways (though yours looks much better). Consider this topic followed!

14. Robin

Robin Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    You can find it here, I think.

Thank you! :)

15. Julien Brightside

Julien Brightside Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Norway
    From what I have read, I definitely want to know more. Do you have a demo in the works perhaps?

16. Robin

Robin Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I'm very glad you want to hear more!

A playable version of the game is being worked on. I'm really hoping to test it out, and then add more content and bring it to its release version.

While there might not be a public demo release any time soon, I hope to give more information on the gameplay, the features, the music, and what the game looks like, as and when I can.

17. tpasmall

tpasmall The Mauve Avenger Veteran

First Language:
    English
    If you need someone to playtest, I wholeheartedly volunteer. I have a knack for breaking games and finding passability errors, so I could be a very annoying help!

18. Cartridge

Cartridge It's all about the guns, man Veteran

First Language:
    Dutch
    Of course, hanzo kimura's resize. thanks a bunch.

now for your project,

Looks very interesting, not your average RPG game, so that's a plus.

Definately keeping an eye on this.

19. Robin

Robin Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Thanks for your volunteering offer, tpasmall. I really appreciate it.

Now, at this time I am officially announcing the first feature of Valiance, the Exclusive Class System:

Each character will be able to switch between their own exclusive classes as they unlock them throughout the game. This allows you to be able to adapt your party to all manner of situations and gives the player the freedom of using a safe and familiar party set-up for one battle, and then switching to a novel combination of classes for the next. As you unlock all of the available classes, you’ll find there are hundreds of party combinations available for you to experiment with. The classes for each character have been designed to highlight their skills, their personalities, and their character development throughout the game, while also allowing them to fulfil a range of roles within battle.

As always, your comments and feedback are appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2013
    Hirei likes this.
  20. Bob Saget

Bob Saget Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I love the exclusive class system! Anything that gives me more control of my characters in battle is a good thing!

Looking forward to your demo!