biggislims

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I have a friend that is new to RPG Maker, and I gifted them MZ. When they create a basic project, place the player, and try to play test, they get a pop up that says "Backup game files... Verify Integrity of game files... Validating Steam files - 100% complete," but then it also says "1 file failed to validate and will be reacquired", but he says nothing happens after that. Anyone have any ideas how I might help them? They have

Attachments

• IMG_3092[1919].png
    IMG_3092[1919].png
    722.4 KB · Views: 5

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
where did they lace the project?
what is the full folderpath to there?

because that sounds as if the project is placed into a restricted folder or something like that...

ICANTPLAYTEST

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@Andar My son has a PC and we use Windows 10. To use RPG Maker, we don't go through files; he opens the app on his desktop. When he clicks playtest, nothing happens, or he gets an error. One solution was to validate files, and we got the error in the screenshot in the post. We really don't know what the problem is, we were just trying everything we found to do. Unfortunately I'm pretty illiterate in Steam, PC's and games, so I have to follow step by step stuff, I don't yet "get" any of it. So anyway, the main prob is clicking play test on a project does nothing or gives an error.

because that sounds as if the project is placed into a restricted folder or something like that...
If we did go the folder path, it's D drive to SteamLibrary to steamapps to common to RPG Maker MZ to RPGMZ it opens. How do I tell if a file is restricted? Nothing looks restricted, but as I said, I'm fairly illiterate in PC, games and Steam. It's my son's computer.

When I go to RPG Maker through the app, play test does NOTHING. When I go through files and play test, I get this error: "The code execution cannot proceed because nw_elf.dll was not found. Reinstalling the program may fix this problem." BTW we did uninstall and reinstall RPG Maker MZ. I'm clueless

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@ICANTPLAYTEST New users first posts must be approved by a moderator. I’ve merged your posts into and deleted the duplicates.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If we did go the folder path, it's D drive to SteamLibrary to steamapps to common to RPG Maker MZ to RPGMZ it opens.
either you misunderstood my question or you placed the project in the worst place possible.

when you created your gameproject, you were asked where to store/save the project. That has absolutely nothing to do with steam or where the editor is. If you changed that place to the steam folders, that is one of the worst things you could have done, so I hope you simply misunderstood what I was asking about.

You can find out where your project is by starting the editor and going to game - open folder in the menu of the editor. that opens a file window where you can read at least part of the filepath in the adress line, and that better did not contain any reference to steam.

That said, your error could also have been caused by something (like your antivirus) deleting part of the game project. But both cases should have nothing to do with steam, it is all about the project files themselves.

biggislims

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
As an example, this is my file path when I create a new project.

Attachments

• 20210122_145801[1920].png
    20210122_145801[1920].png
    1.9 MB · Views: 7

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
this is my file path when I create a new project
no, that is only the last half of the filepath. We would need the full path beginning with the drive letter to check for known problems.

and if the cut-off part to the left stands for a clouddrive, that is a very bad idea because the editor does not use regular file access, but has the files constantly open while working - which means that any cloudsync while working on the game has a risk of destroying part or all of your work.

EDIT:
I didn't know that the new forum software only isplayed part of the attachment, I just saw the full window. So as I assumed you have the project inside onedrive, which is a bad choice as I explained above, please move the project to a folder outside onedrive.
and check the windows help for how to do screenshots, that picture looks as if you had photographed it with a camera from your monitor, alt-prtscrn is much faster and easier.

biggislims

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Sorry for any confusion, but I'm not the one with the issue. My RPG Maker has no problem running with the way I've got it set up at this time. I was just sharing what I see when I start a new project for ICANTPLAYTEST.

EDIT: And thanks for the printscreen tip.

Last edited:

ICANTPLAYTEST

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I don't speak PC, and I don't understand a lot of what you said, but I still thank you for helping. I have to take things step by step, I don't have any intuition about files or anything yet. I'm a mac user. IT's my son's PC. So, since I need to focus on clarity and simplicity, let me ask: what should I type in the file location box? I have no idea about naming files. I need to know exactly what to type. I'm using D drive, BTW.

ICANTPLAYTEST

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
no, that is only the last half of the filepath. We would need the full path beginning with the drive letter to check for known problems.

and if the cut-off part to the left stands for a clouddrive, that is a very bad idea because the editor does not use regular file access, but has the files constantly open while working - which means that any cloudsync while working on the game has a risk of destroying part or all of your work.

EDIT:
I didn't know that the new forum software only isplayed part of the attachment, I just saw the full window. So as I assumed you have the project inside onedrive, which is a bad choice as I explained above, please move the project to a folder outside onedrive.
and check the windows help for how to do screenshots, that picture looks as if you had photographed it with a camera from your monitor, alt-prtscrn is much faster and easier.
It's D drive. I don't know what clouddrive is. I don't know what an editor is. I don't know what onedrive is. Thanks for the tip for screenshotting. I said in another reply that I need to know exaclty what to type into the location box because I'm pretty PC illiterate. I appreciate your patience with me. I just want to help my son use the RPG Maker his cousin gifted him.

ICANTPLAYTEST

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@ICANTPLAYTEST New users first posts must be approved by a moderator. I’ve merged your posts into and deleted the duplicates.
I tried to edit to delete a duplicate post/reply, but the search engine stayed in loading mode and never let me edit.

ICANTPLAYTEST

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
either you misunderstood my question or you placed the project in the worst place possible.

when you created your gameproject, you were asked where to store/save the project. That has absolutely nothing to do with steam or where the editor is. If you changed that place to the steam folders, that is one of the worst things you could have done, so I hope you simply misunderstood what I was asking about.

You can find out where your project is by starting the editor and going to game - open folder in the menu of the editor. that opens a file window where you can read at least part of the filepath in the adress line, and that better did not contain any reference to steam.

That said, your error could also have been caused by something (like your antivirus) deleting part of the game project. But both cases should have nothing to do with steam, it is all about the project files themselves.
I probably misunderstood your question. I'm a mac user and I'm trying to help my son with his PC. I did change location to D drive steam something or other, just to test. It did simply say D:, that's when we were having the play test problem. Maybe if I get the folder right, we can play test. I need guidance on exactly what to write as the file location. How do I tell if an antivirus is deleting part of the project?

ICANTPLAYTEST

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Should I type exactly the same thing for my location? Except I use D drive. I'm new to PC, so I don't know what to type as the location.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm a mac user.
OK, that means it works differently for you than for most others - my questions assumed that you were a windows user.
what MacOS are you running, and on what type of Mac?
There have been reports of problems with the newest versions, some of which have been solved but not every case. So we need more info on your computer.

and if you want to answer multiple people, use multiquote or don't quote at all instead of making multile posts.

ICANTPLAYTEST

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
OK, that means it works differently for you than for most others - my questions assumed that you were a windows user.
what MacOS are you running, and on what type of Mac?
There have been reports of problems with the newest versions, some of which have been solved but not every case. So we need more info on your computer.

and if you want to answer multiple people, use multiquote or don't quote at all instead of making multile posts.
HI, Andar. I wasn't clear: My son uses RPG Maker MZ on Windows; I'm a mac user, so I'm pretty illiterate about how to use my son's PC to help him with troubleshooting. Anyway, I noticed that when I uninstall and reinstall, the only place available to install it is C:\Program Files (86x)\Steam. So I install RPG Maker there. But when I go to look for the file, searching This PC, I can't find the file, AND I want to install it on D: drive because I have more room. Maybe the fact that I can't find the file is connected to the fact that when I go to verify integrity of game files (as someone suggested, it says "1 file failed to validate and will be reaquired", and it's not acquired. Any advice?

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
"This PC" is not a file - which is why I mentioned to NOT use that as part of the path.

I was asking for the project path, not for the program path. The project should NEVER and under no circumstances be stored into the steam folders. The program however needs to be inside the steam folders.

To get the project path you need to have the editor started, then go to "Game - Open folder" on the menu. it will open a windows folder that contains a file called index.html.
Right-click on that file, then select "properties" (or however it is called in your language windows).
On the next window, there should be a line called "location" or something like that, directly above the size. That is what I was asking for.

Attachments

• path.png
    path.png
    16.3 KB · Views: 1

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

SF_People1_3 added!
index.php

I haven't been on here in forever wow(missed my forum birthday T-T). Anyways, I'm dabbling in BGMs, here's something I'm actually willing to share.

Binge-watched 6 episodes of the Erased anime... And that means I've watched half of it?! Sigh...
I'm bad at base-building games (looking at other players created an aesthetically beautiful base compared to me), but IDK why I keep playing the game and seek more of it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kylewest