Variable vs Variable comparison on Event Pages!

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV Improvement Boards' started by Thomas Smith, Mar 10, 2018.

?

Would you like this feature?

1. Yes

22 vote(s)
    91.7%
  2. Yes but not so important

2 vote(s)
    8.3%
  3. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Thomas Smith

Thomas Smith Developer of "Delta Origins" Veteran

First Language:
    English, French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Wow, this sounds really good! I would love to see this! I voted "Yes".

Dreadshadow likes this.
  2. lokirafael

lokirafael Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    There's a couple of plugins with that feature and they already give plenty more options. I would have an eval field if possible, but since the Maker is "easy to a kid" I think that would be a very useful improvement in that regard.

Marquise* and Dreadshadow like this.
  3. TheoAllen

TheoAllen Self-proclaimed jack of all trades Veteran

First Language:
    Indonesian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Idk how MV works, but checking eval would be harder than you thought. You don't know when exactly a page need to be refreshed to flip to the relevant page. How default works is (if MV behave the same), every time a switch/variable/self-switch is flipped, the game checks all the events and refreshed it. That is how you get an immediate event change after the switch/variable is changed (also the reason why it's kind of bad idea to change a variable quite often because it increases complexity especially in a map with many events).

But, if you use a complex eval such as maybe an event would appear if a character HP is below a certain value, not by using variable, but script eval. The event won't be appeared because it doesn't know when to refresh to flip to another page. Too many factor that just doesn't work, it's better to stick on traditional switch/variable conditions.

Dreadshadow likes this.
  4. Dreadshadow

Dreadshadow Lv 38 Tech Magician Moderator

First Language:
    Greek
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Yes this is the workaround, but using a plugin or a script in case of VX Ace, was and is a weak point on the "easy to a kid" as you said.
    Of course a kid might not need complex eventing for a simple game, but what if? It will be convenient to have this feature and along with the available plugins it could even be a convenience for many experience devs whatsoever.

Yes I am actually afraid of such complexities and issues that might arise. I have no idea how the core of MV handles stuff, but I could imagine and thus it seems heavy, not to mention that it sounds like a bug magnet. But it could be implemented on the next product or try it on a current build to see how it works.

Marquise* and Thomas Smith like this.
  5. Thomas Smith

Thomas Smith Developer of "Delta Origins" Veteran

First Language:
    English, French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Well said ^_^

6. lokirafael

lokirafael Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I have dozen of systems around event eval in my game (mining, fishing, Skill system, plants that re grown...). I totaly forgot about the fact that MV don't refresh the events. I have workaround that works pretty well (case by case).

If the devs find a way to create a eval with map refresh, now that wold be aswersome (Even better than the plugins), but if not is really useless.

One thing I never understood about the event is why not make a list of conditions? Double click open a box (like conditional branch) and you can insert a number of conditions. It would be 1000x more useful and just as easy to implement.

7. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'd like to have this. And more than just a > comparison.

kaine and Dreadshadow like this.
  8. Dreadshadow

First Language:
    Greek
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Of course!!!! I meant all operators!!!

kaine and Marquise* like this.
  9. Poryg

Poryg Pixie of the Emvee kingdom Veteran

First Language:
    Czech
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    We used to have this feature, along with many others, in RM2k3. These dropped features were good, made things easy, and many of them are easy to implement in the game code, in fact I haven't been able to understand until today why certain features have been dropped. I'm 100% for it.

Dreadshadow, kaine and Marquise* like this.
  10. Marquise*

Marquise* Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    French-Canadian
    @Dreadshadow I remember when you taught me my variables. I still do not a have full hang of it. But if Poryg remembers that feature in older RPGM and it helps, this might effectively help that ol'geezer I am and probably offer a few more helps to tomorrow's kids. ;)

Dreadshadow likes this.
  11. Dreadshadow

First Language:
    Greek
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    This is interesting. I will make sure I will include variable explaination extras in You-KNOW-WHAT.

Marquise* likes this.
  12. Marquise*

Marquise* Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    French-Canadian
    @Dreadshadow LOL Ohoh no~! I am giving you job now. BTW, I am still there if you need me to QC anything.

Dreadshadow likes this.
  13. Nolonar

Nolonar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    French, German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    We actually already have an eval field, it's called "Script".

I know because for one of my features I created a temporary global variable, then I used the Conditional Branch to see if that variable is set (otherwise I use a default value). But I couldn't do "myVar !== undefined" because "myVar" is undefined (paradox, but that's how eval works). Instead I had to use "typeof myVar !== 'undefined'".

In any case, I also agree with this feature.
    While it's easy enough to work around, I can't understand why something as simple as comparing a variable to another isn't already a feature of RPG Maker. I mean, it's called RPG Maker, not RPG Assembler, right? :D

Dreadshadow likes this.
  14. Dreadshadow

First Language:
    Greek
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Script solves almost everything, for the rest there are plugins I suppose.
    But to be honest, ease of use should be targeted on that one.
    Since I am a programmer myself though, I know that simple things can be VERY complicated to implement on an engine.
    That is why I thought of potential issues too.
    But if possible it could be a cool feature.

Another factor is that doing such comparisons can lead to unexpected behavior of the game, if not planned and implemented right. This kind of event debugging could be hell in Ace, but now with the new search features of MV it is not so disasterous. And that's why I suggest it now.

15. Aloe Guvner

Aloe Guvner Walrus Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Dreadshadow Do you mean the Event Conditions or the Conditional Branch? I think you mean the Event Conditions, but I was confused by the description and Nolonar's reply (because he is talking about the script field of the Conditional Branch).
    If so, I support it. The only thing could be how to design the UI of the editor, there's some room available but want to make sure it still looks clean.

2018-03-17 10_56_15-ID_003 - Event Editor.png

Dreadshadow likes this.
  16. Dreadshadow

First Language:
    Greek
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Yes, I was referring on Event Page Conditions. On a Conditional Branch, you actually CAN do that, but not on an Event Page.

Aloe Guvner likes this.
  17. Poryg

Poryg Pixie of the Emvee kingdom Veteran

First Language:
    Czech
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Ah, I see :D In that case you couldn't do that in older rpg makers :D