Variables and switches in the database

Discussion in 'Editor Suggestions and Improvement' started by Sarah_yt, Apr 14, 2017.

?

Would you use this feature?

1. Yes

32 vote(s)
    80.0%
  2. No

1 vote(s)
    2.5%
  3. Yes but not important

7 vote(s)
    17.5%
  1. Sarah_yt

Sarah_yt Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Description of the Feature:
    This would add another two tabs to the database where you can see and change the names of variables and switches while in the database.

Why is this feature good?
    It's a bit annoying to have to exit the database to create an event to see what number a specific variable is (that said, if someone knows an easy way that already exists, please let me know!)

Possible issues with this feature?
    Not sure, but open for feedback if others can think of issues :)

wariolandgoldpiramid likes this.
  2. Nantas

Nantas - Game developer - Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I approve ! This feature would save us a lot of time !

3. BubbleMatrix82

BubbleMatrix82 Norm Rejecting Black Sheep Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I used to keep notebooks with the values and names. It got really messy. I then moved to Excel Spreadsheets and it was cleaner but still a hassle. Honestly, there needs to be a window in the editor that shows all the variables and hotlinks where they were used. But just being able to change it in the Database would be great too. I vote yes.

4. RionFish

RionFish Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Well it isn't within the database, but there is the Event Searcher under the Tools menu, that allows you to open the variable and switch tables with all their names (and as a bonus lets you find all of the events that use them). It can't be used while the database is open however, so that does cause a bit of conflict.

5. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Big YES to this one! It annoys me having to create an event and go into Control Variables or Control Switches just to give them a name, if I'm not planning to use them then and there (I might be using them for a plugin, so I might NEVER put them into an event).

Could be another panel on the System tab or the Terms or Types tabs, or combining them into a single new tab would be okay too.

Sarah_yt likes this.
  6. Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Engr. Adiktuzmiko Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy' Veteran

First Language:
    Tagalog
    I still wonder why they haven't done so...

How about the common event's tab? You could just go there instead of making an event in a map to check variable numbers.

7. wariolandgoldpiramid

wariolandgoldpiramid Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Yes, we can do it with a common event, but still, having 2 extra tabs for managing the names of Switches and Variables would make things much easier. Especialy when you need to check a variable ID for a plugin.

Benevolentwanderer likes this.
  8. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I agree - and with the way the database lists work, there is not even a need to group them into 20, all switches can be one list and all variables another list. Would also have the advantage of easier scrolling to find a specific switch or variable.

9. TWings

TWings The Dragon Whisperer Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Bumping up that suggestion, as I find it would be really useful too.
    Variables and Switches access/navigation is a pain in the neck in the current interface.

10. Isaac The Red

Isaac The Red RedMage Veteran

First Language:
    Gibberish
    This is the kind of problem a suggestion I made a while back would solve. I would probably use this, if implemented, but my desire to just in general be able to access multiple parts of the editor at a time would streamline a lot of the process.

https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/inde...king-you-out-of-the-rest-of-the-editor.79837/

Give my suggestion a look if you would like, it's an old suggestion, but a fresh bump and some votes could bring it back into view.
    As it is now, I keep spreadsheets for a lot of information, but it's tedious to have to update both my spreadsheets and the game information in tandem just to be able to have the information at a glance.