Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hey everyone,
I'm trying to get footsteps to sound good in RPG Maker MV. I downloaded Yanfly's Footsteps plugin here:
http://yanfly.moe/?s=footsteps
and the footsteps seem to be timed really nicely with the animation but it keeps repeating just the one footstep sound over and over. I was hoping to be able to randomly pick between 3 different footstep sounds for the same region tag but this doesn't appear possible?

I know that I can use his Region Events plugin to add variety through branches but the footstep sounds don't work as well using that plugin (ie. The sound is significantly delayed after the movement begins, leaving sounds still playing once the character has stopped). So I presume this isn't as well suited?

Does anyone know if it's possible to add variations with the Footsteps plugin and if so how to go about it?
Thanks guys

**Edit to Add** [SOLVED]
One other thing I've noticed seems to be an error in the footsteps plugin. I have a mat surrounded by floorboards. I have used region 1 on the floorboards and region 2 on the mat. However, when I walk across the mat and back onto the floorboards, the sound of the mat plays as well as the floorboard sounds for 1-2 tiles beside it. It's like the plugin is trying to fade the two sounds together instead of giving a rough cut from the mat to the floorboards. I've been looking through the code to see if there's a way to stop this, but I just can't read code well enough yet.
I'm wondering if this has anything to do with having a 96p tall character or have an 8 frame walking animation?

Last edited:

Isabella Ava

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Hey everyone,
I'm trying to get footsteps to sound good in RPG Maker MV. I downloaded Yanfly's Footsteps plugin here:
http://yanfly.moe/?s=footsteps
and the footsteps seem to be timed really nicely with the animation but it keeps repeating just the one footstep sound over and over. I was hoping to be able to randomly pick between 3 different footstep sounds for the same region tag but this doesn't appear possible?

I know that I can use his Region Events plugin to add variety through branches but the footstep sounds don't work as well using that plugin (ie. The sound is significantly delayed after the movement begins, leaving sounds still playing once the character has stopped). So I presume this isn't as well suited?

Does anyone know if it's possible to add variations with the Footsteps plugin and if so how to go about it?
Thanks guys
Here, use my modified version attached below. Insert as many as sound that you want, they will be played randomly.
upload_2018-2-14_14-4-56.png

Attachments

• YEP_FootstepSounds.js
    18.1 KB · Views: 70

SpunkyWunky

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Isabella Ava Thank you so much for your time! Does this only allow multiple sounds in the default sounds though? I was hoping to assign multiple sounds to each region. eg. 3 different sound files for walking on carpet, 3 different sound files for walking on floorboards etc.
I had a look through the instructions and I didn't see any changes there so I wasn't sure how to do it if you did make that change

Isabella Ava

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
@Isabella Ava Thank you so much for your time! Does this only allow multiple sounds in the default sounds though? I was hoping to assign multiple sounds to each region. eg. 3 different sound files for walking on carpet, 3 different sound files for walking on floorboards etc.
I had a look through the instructions and I didn't see any changes there so I wasn't sure how to do it if you did make that change
Actually now whatever sound you assign to, only default sounds will be played :)

SpunkyWunky

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Isabella Ava Thanks, that's not really what I need it to do though, I need to be able to set multiple sounds to a region tag, I'm not really using the default sounds as it's too limiting.

SpunkyWunky

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I've added an issue to the main post. I've watched a tutorial using this plugin and it doesn't seem to be this broken?

Zarsla

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
You know you can do this without a plugin. Check out what it looks like with images here.
You just need a 3 variables and a switch and a common event.

Basically you set 2 variables to the ID of the Map X and Map Y of the Player, then using Location Info, you set a region id variable equal to the where the Variable X and Y. After that use a wait frame and have conditional branches checking the variable of the region id ie seeing what it's equal to and then playing a sound effect.
Just make sure on this is a common event and parallel process event. And turn the switch on when you enter maps that should be using this, and turn the it off when you leave maps that should have this sound.

Also note that you can set it so that different sounds play on different map Id's but for know it's set to the same sound for each region Id regardless of the map, ie if this is on then on all maps region 3 will play X sound and region 5 will play Y sound.

Also if the delay in sound is not good sounding for you, remove the wait frame.

Last edited:

SpunkyWunky

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Zarsla I tried to follow what you said:
0x3YNqs.png

pa6lQ6Z.png

But I get an error:
SyntaxError
Unexpected identifier

Have I put something in wrong? Forgive me, RPG Maker is very new to me

Zarsla

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Region Id is not a script call. Region Id is a variable.
In your conditional branch, use the variable "Region Id" and set it to 2 for the first one and 3 to the second.

Also make sure in Set Location Info "Region Id" is to the variable "Region Id"

SpunkyWunky

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Zarsla ah thank you, it's fixed now. Did you test this script though? It's seems the same as yours however the soundeffects play over and over whilst standing on that region ID which create an audio loop that gets louder and louder like feedback in a speaker.

Btw ,fixed the error added to the original post, there was a distance pan programmed into the plugin that made a previous region ID sound play over the new Region. Will mark as solved on the original post.

What it comes down to is the Footsteps plugin doesn't give me variety in footstep sounds but seems to work alright, the Region Events plugin gives me variety options but has a delay (not noticeable when walking across the whole screen, but when only moving one or two squares it's completely immersion breaking). I've seen a lot of tutorials on using these plugins and people seem happy to just leave the delay in instead of a work around fixing it?

Zarsla

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@SpunkyWunky

The script you put won't work, it will give an error if you have no plugins installed. If you have script call errors, and Yanfly Core Engine installed, it will work despite the crash as the script call you put wouldn't work because that's not even a vaild script call.
On top of that, you're using the variable to check, not the region id. The "Set Location Info" sets Variable X equal to Region Y. And thus when region id changes so to the value of the variable.

Now this is done with no plugins need, there a few script calls but no plugins. You can watch my video with here and check out this image of the common event here.

SpunkyWunky

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@SpunkyWunky

The script you put won't work, it will give an error if you have no plugins installed. If you have script call errors, and Yanfly Core Engine installed, it will work despite the crash as the script call you put wouldn't work because that's not even a vaild script call.
On top of that, you're using the variable to check, not the region id. The "Set Location Info" sets Variable X equal to Region Y. And thus when region id changes so to the value of the variable.

Now this is done with no plugins need, there a few script calls but no plugins. You can watch my video with here and check out this image of the common event here.

Like I said in my previous post, I fixed it to be the same as the code you had in your original post. Where the problem was, was the missing player movement script, which you added in your last post. I can definitely use your last post now, it's working thanks :D I've altered the code a bit though to include another set of variables within each region code that plays different steps randomly to add variation. Now walking on the same area doesn't play the same sound over and over. Solved Yay!

Drakaden

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English, French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Is there a way to add a cooldown/trigger after every # of steps to the sound? I use Quasi ABS system and when i move ever so slightly it sounds like i'm shooting an SMG with my feet due to the grid.

Last edited:

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
[necro]Draken[/necro]
By posting a different question to the OP you are also hijacking a thread. Please see our Forum Rules here. I suggest you start a new thread in Javascrpt/Plugin Support setting out the details of your query. Please include links to both this plugin and the Quasi ABS system one so that if people need to check something before offering advice, they won't have to go hunting.

[mod]Closing this.[/mod]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

After years of relying on others and the community to help with making my games, I've decided to delve into the world of scripting. Thought I'd share a few simple scripts that I made that I'm very proud of and excited about!

Redesigning characters after such a long time feels great. Makes me excited to work on an old game again.
Phone menu to replace main menu WIP:
It's been that long since I wrote a plugin, it took me 4 attempts to realize it's != rather than #. In a 40-line plugin, 20 of those lines being documentation!
Disk Check Plugin - Running on Linux:
RMMV-Game-Mint.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ffstsa