Variety of debuffs and buffs

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV' started by Mega Man Volnutt, Oct 5, 2016.

1. Mega Man Volnutt

Mega Man Volnutt Mega Man Volnutt Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    In various games, (in mind I am thinking of FFRK0 there are different types of debuffing and buffing. From slight debuff to a major change in debuff. Basically, I wanna have a list of states that I can use that allows me to have a different variety of debuffs and buffs. So, a slight change of defense for one skill but a major change of defense for a much harder to use skill.

2. Lymmet

Lymmet the Oddborne Veteran

First Language:
    Norwegian
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    You can make your own states or buffs/debuff in the database if im not mistaken. I'd also take a look at Yanfly's channel on Youtube as they showcase how to make skills (often buffs) familiar from renown games.

3. Mega Man Volnutt

Mega Man Volnutt Mega Man Volnutt Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I don't think you can make your own buff or debuff. I'm pretty confused with how the RPG Maker MV buff and debuff system work in general. I kinda had the idea that copypasting debuffs and buffs will make a stack but it doesn't seem to be the case. Some skills will not even buff or debuff my characters  even though I added those attributes to the database.

4. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Yanfly used states instead of buffs, then with lunatic mode added ways to add different levels of the state. That is the closest you can get to adding buffs.

What I do myself is I just use a state and have the state change the parameter by how much I want it to. So for one of them the light defense I might do DEF * 110%, and for the heavy defense I might do DEF * 200%, just for example.

Edit: There might be a way to add multiple levels of a buff though on one cast, then with a plug-in set a cap on how high the buff or debuff can go. Not sure on this though.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2016
  5. Vox Novus

Vox Novus Knight of Whispers Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    As far as MV's buffs go the help file seems to say they work the same as Ace. Each buff/de-buff changes the selected stat by a 25% fluctuation and can be stacked if you add it twice in one application. In ace I believe you could stack only one additional buff/de-buff on top of another one for a 50% total buff or de-buff; I'd assume its likely the same in MV (don't have an actual project to open and check that with).

So if you have low stats a 25% change may not make enough of a notable difference depending on how your numbers effect things.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2016