VE Anti-Lag Bug Help?

Discussion in 'RGSS3 Script Requests' started by KingHazeel, Jun 21, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KingHazeel

KingHazeel Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Context: I have a four story building that acts as a hotel and supermarket. There is an elevator that moves you between floors on the upper right side of each floor. I noticed when using it, the door would disappear when I got to the other floor. I started removing scripts until I found the culprit. This problem seems to come from VE Anti-Lag, particularly linked to refresh_screen_position under Game_Map. If I comment this out:

def refresh_screen_position
    @last_screen_x = @display_x.to_i
    @last_screen_y = @display_y.to_i
    end

The events show up fine. Although I don't know the consequences of doing this. I was wondering if there was a proper bug fix for this. For reference, this is the behavior of the bug:

https://i.imgur.com/Jd64wE1.png

If I come out through that door, the three events (the door and NPCs) disappear until I move far enough for the screen to scroll. This behavior only occurs if the player is transferred to the top of the map. If I move the elevators (and player transfers) to the middle of the map, everything loads fine.

VE Anti-Lag:

https://victorenginescripts.wordpress.com/rpg-maker-vx-ace/anti-lag/

Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
  2. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    give a link to the website of the plugin, and read its instructions.
    there should be a way to exclude any event from the anti-lag, it would be extremely strange for victor to not have programmed in such an exception.

3. KingHazeel

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    1) Sorry, I keep thinking it's against the rules to link scripts for some reason. XD Editted the OP.

2) I could use always update on said events, but I would need to do this for all events in the upper area of the map every time there was a situation where the player was at the upper end of the map, as well as all events that might wander up to the upper area of the map. I would think a potential bug fix would be the better solution...

4. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    what you experience is not a bug, but the intended behaviour of the script. So there is no bug to fix.

your only options are to either use the always update option or to kick the script and use something else to reduce the lag.

5. KingHazeel

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Are...you sure? That seems like really weird behavior to be intentional.

6. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    most likely.

the biggest source of lag in VXA are too many events on a map - that is why even in default all events stop processing when they are at a greater distance to the player (basically a bit more than outside the screen). But that simple stop of the processing is not enough in a lot of cases, which is why all anti-lag scripts written contain functions to either modify that range or define which events should be updated and which ones should be excluded from updating and so forth.

It is theoretically possible that the anti-lag script you're using interacts badly with another script that you added - I don't know enough about those scripts to completely deny that possibility.
    But not updating and not processing some events is the basic function of an anti-lag script.

You can only make the following test:
    Make a copy of your game and in the copy, remove all scripts with the exception of the antilag and any VE-scripts required by it.
    If as a result the problems are gone then yes, it was an interaction with another script that caused it and you need to find which other script caused the problem.
    If that doesn't change anything, then it is due to how the script works.

Victor has some problems in his scripts and plugins, but they are almost never bugs (he is an experienced programmer) but caused by incompatibilities between his and other programming (he is known for having his own programming style that is often incompatible to others, especially to yanfly's scripts and plugins)

7. Roninator2

Roninator2 Gamer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Have you tried the comment tag <always update>
    for the events you need to be updated?

8. KingHazeel

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    OK I think I found the conflict. The issue was between VE's Anti-Lag and another script that had a similar function. I noticed they had different ways of determining the screen position. With one using (screen_x / 32).to_i and the other using @display_x.to_i. I tried converting the other to use the same method...and it seems to be working fine now! Sorry for the confusion. ^^;

9. slimmmeiske2

slimmmeiske2 Little Red Riding Hood Moderator

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP

This thread is being closed, due to being solved. If for some reason you would like this thread re-opened, please report this post and leave a message why. Thank you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.