VE - Damage Popup

Victor Sant

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses

This plugin improves the popup damage diplay. Allowing an extensive edition of this display. You can change the damage display motion, add text to the display, such as critical or resistance, and add displays for states and buffs.

Download:
Victor Engine - Damage Popup

Credits:
Author: Victor Sant

Terms of Use

Last edited:

hadecynn

Abyss of Oblivion
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hey Victor,

What a fantastic plugin! Thank you so much! Any chance you could add a functionality where the you can also display the name of the State in addition to the icon when using state pop-ups? Or generally just have text functionality (using default GameFont) for all the pop-ups.

Thanks,

hadecynn

P.S. It also appears that States added through certain methods are not registering with the plugin and therefore not showing up. I've tested 3 scenarios so far. The first one is just having an attack that has an "Add State" trait; this one works fine. However, I have another self-targeting skill that uses Yanfly's Instant Cast to put a state on the user; this one doesn't work. Finally, there's a skill that damages enemies but adds a State to the user that I've made by using Yanfly's Action Sequences (under Follow Action), and the state added/removed with this doesn't show up either.

Last edited by a moderator:

Victor Sant

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
@hadecynn

I tried to add the game font for the popups, but the performance was not good, I will wait until they update pixi to see if the performance is better. If I do implement game font setup, then custom text popup will become far easier.

This plugin uses the default window battle log routines to show the popup. The issue here is that YEP Battle Core completely ignore those routines and process battle actions it's own way. The instant cast state popup do work without the battle core.

Calicer

Composer
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I think it would be pretty useful to be able to change text colour based on element as well (though that might get too confusing with the colour system already set up) but other than that this looks great. Thank you so much!

Victor Sant

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
Updated the plugin.

Now it uses the Game Font to display the popups.

Goldschuss

The creator of Lye Bastion
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
Does that mean I can actually translate the shown text into German in the Plugin settings?

Goldschuss

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
:/ I got a RangeError "Maximum Stack call size exceeded"

Attached the log

UPDATE: Made a new project with only your core engine and your damage popup. Returned the same error with another log.

stack size.PNG

stackerror.PNG

Victor Sant

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
@Goldschuss Yeah I noticed that, the plugin is only working if you're using the VE - Control Text together with it. I will fix that, for now you can use the Control Text plugin to bypass the error.

Goldschuss

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
Using Yanflys Life Steal plugin, your plugin recognizes every sort of heal (HP, MP etc..) as HP heal and then displays a red 0, when I actually regenerated 2 MP for example.

At least that's my case, if I add a mp life steal notetag on a basic attack.

Also it would be nice to have an option that disables certain numbers. For example what if I don't want to show off how much someone life stealed?

(leaving the parameters plugin blank won't work, as he will ALWAYS show the number, even if you type in a text. it will just add the number at the end)

Victor Sant

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
Like I said to hadecynn:

This plugin uses the default window battle log routines to show the popup.
This is a issue with the plugin that cause the life steal. Plugins that don't use the default popup routines and use their own routines instead will not display the popup or show weird behavior.

There is not much I can do when people just ignores the default code of the RM and do things it's own way.

killerfer

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
@Victor Sant

There seems to be a problem with the MP damage/recovery popup. I think you swapped mp for tp in some of the lines around 1570.

I should say the 2.0 update is awesome, it became a lot easier to customize the popups now. Thanks Victor.

zerobeat032

Cloaked Wanderer...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hey there Victor! Love this plugin especially since now in version 2.00 and higher it shows font! But... I'm having an issue I'm not sure how to solve and it tends to happen out of the blue with this plugin.

damage popup.PNG

I haven't the slightest what this is... but it occurs from time to time and causes the game to crash...

Victor Sant

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
@zerobeat032 Do this happens to every action? Are you using other plugins? Do this happens on a project without other plugins?

If this happens only using other plugins, try changing the order ot them, if this don't solve I will need to know wich plugin is causing that.

If this happens even on a clear project, then I need more details about the action that triggered it so I can trigger this here to find the issue.

zerobeat032

Cloaked Wanderer...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@zerobeat032 Do this happens to every action? Are you using other plugins? Do this happens on a project without other plugins?

If this happens only using other plugins, try changing the order ot them, if this don't solve I will need to know wich plugin is causing that.

If this happens even on a clear project, then I need more details about the action that triggered it so I can trigger this here to find the issue.
If other plugins are causing this, then I'm not sure what... I turned off all but your stuff and I could not recreate the issue. Even in a clear project I couldn't get it. No this doesn't happen with every action either, it's pretty uncommon. I've gotten through a lot of test battles and this never occurs. It's just every once in a while, I get an error. I THINK it might be something with the font? I wasn't having any problems with version 1.0. I will keep trying to see if the problem comes back. I'm really sorry I can't give anymore information as to what could possibly be causing this. 

I'm looking at it and it seems to be an issue with maybe the system not updating to write the damage? I'm just guessing unfortunately though as I'm not sure what no update to the Enemy means?

Victor Sant

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
The issue is that it is trying to call a property of an undefined object.

If this don't happen on a clear project, then probably another plugin is making the popup skip the part where it the object is defined. So, when the popup tries to call it, it don't exist.

Try testing it disabling the plugins that might affect the battle until you find wich plugin is causing that, without knowing wich plugin might be conflicting with it, it's not possible for me to find a possible solution, if any.

zerobeat032

Cloaked Wanderer...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Ok then, I'll look through each plugin that would impact battle. I'll let you know something as soon as I figure something out. 

Goldschuss

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
When stacking multiple hits, the damage popup seems to bounce off on top of each other. (as seen here)

is there a way to disable this?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Managed to find a way to hang a bed cover over my window. So no more being toasted alive in the afternoon!:kaoswt2:
So, uh, has anyone tried buying any resources from KokoroReflections? Because I've been looking for a 'buy' button on the site for like 10 minutes now and can't find one.
Any also thought it's too cringy to put the word "and you" in your credit as a special thanks?
Cause that's what I thought...
Everyone in the US right now: Please stay safe.
Symphony Celestia: Prophecy of the Falling Stars RPG Maker music pack WIP. Symphony Celestia is a new series that focuses on symphonic and orchestrated music to tell a story. Each story will include compositions that make up that story from beginning to end. Themes include: Battles, adventures, character themes, etc. Below is a video preview to the first story.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Noxtrasave