VE - Diagonal Movement

Victor Sant

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses

This plugin allows you to setup diagonal movement for the player and events. It’s compatible with mouse click movement. You can define a sprite for the diagonal movement and trigger events diagonally.

Download:
Victor Engine - Diagonal Movement

Credits:
Author: Victor Sant

Terms of Use

Last edited by a moderator:

inazumathelightning

The Pixel prince
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Awesome victor! Question are you going to be making an animated batter plugin like you did for ace?

RogdagoR

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
The collisions are always locked to the 48x48 grid?

Castagna

Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
Great!

How can i make it work with a character set like this? (the picture's positions are not accurate)

DustyCat Media

Indie Game Purrfector
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Hello Victor,

Awesome plugin!

One thing i noticed is that whenever the hero walks diagonally right from the start (ie standing still then directly walking diagonally), the hero will walk straight to the right / left a bit first before actually walking diagonally. Is this intentional?

But anyway, thanks for this plugin!

Victor Sant

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
The collisions are always locked to the 48x48 grid?
The plugin default rpg maker passability checks.

Great!

How can i make it work with a character set like this? (the picture's positions are not accurate)
Your charset needs to be like this:

One thing i noticed is that whenever the hero walks diagonally right from the start (ie standing still then directly walking diagonally), the hero will walk straight to the right / left a bit first before actually walking diagonally. Is this intentional?
Are you using mouse click or the keyboard? With the keyboard it's quite hard to press both directional keys simultaneously, so the maker will see you pressing one key before the other. I tried sometimes and the timing must be perfect for it to walk diagonally from the start. With a joystick it might be easier.

solaris1111

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
Very, very, very nice!!! Finally a diagonal movement that won't pass through the corners. Good job!!!

solaris1111

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
The plugin default rpg maker passability checks.

Your charset needs to be like this:

Are you using mouse click or the keyboard? With the keyboard it's quite hard to press both directional keys simultaneously, so the maker will see you pressing one key before the other. I tried sometimes and the timing must be perfect for it to walk diagonally from the start. With a joystick it might be easier.
Yeah, i use a joystick and it's a bit easier but still it need to be very precise. I don't know a lot about js but if there is a way to adjust the value of direction detection based on the joystick alignement degree (360°), that could give something very interesting. If not, that plugin still pretty flawless! I used it a lot and its pretty fine!

Victor Sant

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
Yeah, i use a joystick and it's a bit easier but still it need to be very precise. I don't know a lot about js but if there is a way to adjust the value of direction detection based on the joystick alignement degree (360°), that could give something very interesting. If not, that plugin still pretty flawless! I used it a lot and its pretty fine!
This plugin uses the default maker 8 dir movement available on the maker (but that is not used except by a few event commands) and enables it for actors and events, This plugin don't change the default behavior of the diagonal movement.

There was a plugin for analong movement somewhere that accomplish that.

solaris1111

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
Its not what i meant but my english is bad. Im was still talking about 8dir. I was thinking avout a solution for the need to be very precise to walk diagonaly on the first move. I was more talking than asking. Have a nice day.

Victor Sant

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
Its not what i meant but my english is bad. Im was still talking about 8dir. I was thinking avout a solution for the need to be very precise to walk diagonaly on the first move. I was more talking than asking. Have a nice day.
I think that the only thing that could solve that is a pixel movement plugin, the player will still moves to a direction first, but will only give a small step then start walk diagonally.

solaris1111

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
Yes! That's a solution. I really need to make a decision if i go pixel or not.

solaris1111

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
Hi Victor. I'd like to know if it's in your plan to make pixel movement. I know you did a great job on that with VX so i was wondering for MV. I know about orange pixel movement but if you tell me you'll do it, i'll wait for yours. 

Victor Sant

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
Absolutely. Although it's not on my short list, I'm pretty sure I will make a pixel movement plugin at some point. (because moving platform without pixel movement is very bad B)  )

Akrib

Villager
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
Hi Victor,

Great plugin, thanks alot!, awesome that you even thought about the corner-passability.

I already tested it in my own game, and it works fine except of a little lag when the player is moving diagonally. I don't know wether this is caused by an over-all slower speed of the character when moving diagonally, or by a heavy workload on the computer while moving diagonally.

I'm not really familiar with scripting, but is there a way either to speed the diagonal movement up a little, or to cut the source code so that it only enables the directional movement without the additional stuff to reduce the workload, especially when playing on slower, mobile devices?

Edit: Seems to be a matter of the workload on the cpu. The lag gets annoying for example when using the plugin in combination with masked's smooth-scroll plugin.

Milena

The woman of many questions
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Irish
Primarily Uses
N/A
Hi Victor,

Great plugin, thanks alot!, awesome that you even thought about the corner-passability.

I already tested it in my own game, and it works fine except of a little lag when the player is moving diagonally. I don't know wether this is caused by an over-all slower speed of the character when moving diagonally, or by a heavy workload on the computer while moving diagonally.

I'm not really familiar with scripting, but is there a way either to speed the diagonal movement up a little, or to cut the source code so that it only enables the directional movement without the additional stuff to reduce the workload, especially when playing on slower, mobile devices?

Edit: Seems to be a matter of the workload on the cpu. The lag gets annoying for example when using the plugin in combination with masked's smooth-scroll plugin.
Try to use this plugin https://soulxregalia.wordpress.com/2015/11/24/rmv-camera-scroll-ex/

instead of the smooth scroll plugin you have. It may solve the workload on your CPU, and may not clash with Victor's.

Akrib

Villager
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
Try to use this plugin https://soulxregalia.wordpress.com/2015/11/24/rmv-camera-scroll-ex/

instead of the smooth scroll plugin you have. It may solve the workload on your CPU, and may not clash with Victor's.
Thanks a lot for the advise!, i'll give that a try. But it won't completely solve my problem, because the diagonal movement script is causing lag on my computer even without the scrolling script activated. It's just more extreme with the scrolling script enabled.

Victor Sant

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
I don't know how moving diagonally can cause an workload on your CPU. The plugin mostly just invoke methods that are already available on the maker but are unnused.

Are you testing it on a fresh project only with the basic module and diagonal movement? And by how much does your FPS drop (press F2 during test play to see the FPS)

Anyway, if you want just to walk diagonally with no additional resource (diagonal trigger, graphic change, digonal events and such) try looking for another plugin.

All those features are the main point of this plugin, without them this plugin become pointless, since there are other plugins that already offer diagonal movement with no additional.

Akrib

Villager
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
I don't know how moving diagonally can cause an workload on your CPU. The plugin mostly just invoke methods that are already available on the maker but are unnused.

Are you testing it on a fresh project only with the basic module and diagonal movement? And by how much does your FPS drop (press F2 during test play to see the FPS)

Anyway, if you want just to walk diagonally with no additional resource (diagonal trigger, graphic change, digonal events and such) try looking for another plugin.

All those features are the main point of this plugin, without them this plugin become pointless, since there are other plugins that already offer diagonal movement with no additional.
Nevermind, sorry for all the fuss, i think i got it figured out now.

Your plugin works just fine, but using it together with masked's smooth scrolling plugin causes some issues. I thought there was some lag even with the smooth scrolling disabled, but that seems to be just an effect of the player moving a little bit slower while walking diagonally (no framerate frops).

Victor Sant

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
Nevermind, sorry for all the fuss, i think i got it figured out now.

Your plugin works just fine, but using it together with masked's smooth scrolling plugin causes some issues. I thought there was some lag even with the smooth scrolling disabled, but that seems to be just an effect of the player moving a little bit slower while walking diagonally (no framerate frops).
The slight slower diagonal movement is a fix to the diagonal movement being actually faster than it should. (Whoever programed it missed the Pythagorean theorem classes :guffaw:  )

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

On the plus side, if all this rioting sparks another Covid outbreak... I will have a whole lot of time to work on my game. Not exactly how I wanted to get that time, but hey I'm a glass is half full... of RM kind of guy. :LZSwink:
A video once in a while won't hurt.
Have a craving for a Nesquik milkshake. No idea why. Haven't had one since I was a kid. lol. I remember them kinda tasting nice, but also leaving a lot of nasty powder at the bottom of the cup.
The more I think about it, the weirdest part of going to work post-virus will probably be getting used to seeing my coworkers' mouths again. :LZYshock:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guangdi