VE - Dual Wield

Victor Sant

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses

This plugin improves the Dual Wield trait. The equip slot is changed so the actor don’t lose it’s ability to use shields, being able to choose a shield or weapon. The battle motion is also changed, so each weapon has it own attack motion, the damage is also calculated separated for each attack. Beside this, the plugin adds new features such as two handed weapons, double grip, bare handed and others.

Download:
Victor Engine - Dual Wield

Credits:
Author: Victor Sant

Terms of Use

Last edited:

lithkast

Quirky mini boss
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
This is awesome.  I've been looking for a way to separate out the weapon attacks when dual wielding for a while (working on compiling scripts to make a dungeons and dragons game possible).  

Thanks for your hard work and this amazing plugin.

ramza

Lunatic Coder
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Victor, I had been working on a very similar plugin and ran into several issues that you seem to have taken care of nicely.

One issue I found is also still a problem in your plugin as well though.

If the dual wielding actor has no weapon in his mainhand, but a weapon in his offhand, both attacks will use the weaponsprite of the offhand weapon, instead of the expected mainhand swing being empty. The damage is still properly calculated per attack though.

I tested this both in my own project, and in a fresh one with only your core plugin and this one. It doesn't happen if the actor  has a mainhand weapon and a bare offhand though.

I also found a weird incompatibility with Yanfly's weapon animations plugin, which causes an issue where both weapon swings will always use the weaponsprite of the mainhand weapon.

Victor Sant

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
If the dual wielding actor has no weapon in his mainhand, but a weapon in his offhand, both attacks will use the weaponsprite of the offhand weapon, instead of the expected mainhand swing being empty.
Found the issue, an update will be avaiable soon.

I also found a weird incompatibility with Yanfly's weapon animations plugin, which causes an issue where both weapon swings will always use the weaponsprite of the mainhand weapon.
I know about this issue but didn't care to check that because of this. As I hate to waste time and effort doing something that will end useless, I'm waiting for a position about this (if they will be able or not to implement that), if they confirm they will not add then I will do something about it.

HeroicJay

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Your plugin documentation has a silly little mistake where the description for <left handed> is the same as the description for <bare handed>. Just an FYI.

ramza

Lunatic Coder
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I know about this issue but didn't care to check that because of this. As I hate to waste time and effort doing something that will end useless, I'm waiting for a position about this (if they will be able or not to implement that), if they confirm they will not add then I will do something about it.
I suspect that this issue might be related to the same problem I was having with my own plugin. Weapon animations rewrites how the weaponsprites are drawn, and caches them after the first attack. In the case of my plugin, I am repeating the attack action through the engine by adding an extra attack, which seems to clear the cache after a successful hit, but yours is probably not making a second attack, and is using a custom function that isn't clearing the cache as an attack would.

If you reset the cache values at the beginning of your second attack, it will probably fix the issue, as this is stored on the actor instead of the weapon.

$gameActors._data[subject.actorId()]._cacheWeaponImage = undefined
$gameActors._data[subject.actorId()]._cacheWeaponMotion = undefined

Then again, I barely have any idea what I'm doing, so good luck XD

Victor Sant

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
If they don't add the option to setup weapon graphic on the maker on the next updates, I will write my own plugin for that. As I need that for my animated battle and I need full control over it.

BTW. the code I posted on that topic already works fine, So all I would need is to add the codes to get notetag data.

BTW2. the plugin was updated, check if it solved the empty main hand issue.

Last edited by a moderator:

ramza

Lunatic Coder
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Looks like it's working good now.

My only gripe is having to put <bare handed weapon> on every weapon in my game to facilitate the ability to have an empty offhand still deal an attack if the actor was dual wielding. But that's minor and easy enough to workaround. Kudos.

ramza

Lunatic Coder
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Sorry to double post, it's been like a month, so I don't think anyone minds.

Found a couple of bugs with this plugin:

• If an actor does not have the <bare handed> type, but is not wearing a weapon in either hand, the status screen incorrectly shows both hands as having ATK, when the offhand should have '---' shown.
  • If an actor is left handed, he will start the game with no weapon. Because the editor doesn't know to put the weapon in his shield slot. If he's dual wield-type, this isn't an issue
  • If an actor is left handed, and has a shield equipped in his offhand, and no weapon in his main hand, the status screen incorrectly shows ATK for the right hand, and --- for the value of ATK for his left hand, which should be reversed. When a weapon is equipped into the left hand while a shield is equipped in the right, the status section updates to be correct.
  • The help info window shows the help info of the offhand item in the main hand, and vice versa, this happens if a weapon is equipped or not, note that in the first two images, the help text is blank because the left hand is blank. In the third, the left hand has the help text of the right hand's item.
barehanded.png

left handed with shield.png

lefthanded with weapon.png

Victor Sant

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
If an actor does not have the <bare handed> type, but is not wearing a weapon in either hand, the status screen incorrectly shows both hands as having ATK, when the offhand should have '---' shown.
This don't happen by default, neither with the default menu or with the EquipCore v1.11 (wich was the one I used when making the patch).

As it was with the throwable objects, I have no plans of updating a patch if the original plugin was updated and made the patch not work properly.

If an actor is left handed, he will start the game with no weapon. Because the editor doesn't know to put the weapon in his shield slot. If he's dual wield-type, this isn't an issue
There is nothing that can be done about that, since the plugin can't change the editor behavior. Just equip the weapon/shield with events at the game start.

If an actor is left handed, and has a shield equipped in his offhand, and no weapon in his main hand, the status screen incorrectly shows ATK for the right hand, and --- for the value of ATK for his left hand, which should be reversed. When a weapon is equipped into the left hand
This issue happens only with the equip core, I have no Idea of how to fix it, neither the time to look at it anytime soon.

The help info window shows the help info of the offhand item in the main hand, and vice versa, this happens if a weapon is equipped or not, note that in the first two images, the help text is blank because the left hand is blank. In the third, the left hand has the help text of the right hand's item.
I will check into this issue.

ramza

Lunatic Coder
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I guess in the meantime, I will work around the majority of these by not making my actor left handed. :)

@Victor Sant

I battle/action sequence related problem with this plugin. I am unsure if it cropped up in the 1.03 or 1.04 versions, as I was using 1.02 and attempted to update to fix the above issues.

Previously, doing a normal attack would repeat the "Target Action" section of a sequence twice. The result of this was the actor staying in melee and swinging twice, which is what I expect was intended.

As of one of those updates, the "finish action" also plays twice, which results in the actor hitting once, moving back to start, and then hitting the second time.

I localized the problem to the dual wield update, as it worked on the older version, though I don't know which update caused the problem. I know you're not obligated to even look at a compatibility issue, and I'm alright with keeping the old working version instead, but the new BattleManager.isSecondAttack() function doesn't exist in v1.02, and I could really use it in my action sequences.

Many thanks.

Victor Sant

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
I updatad the dual wield (and some other plugins) to work with my own Battle Motions plugin. (And also improve their compatibility with other plugins that uses the rpg maker default logic to process battle actions)

The battle core required patches specifically for it, patches that I removed because they simply didn't work with the new logic. Now, when the subject is the Battle Engine Core, I will not even check any issue.

The battle engine core is too big and too complex. Understanding how the battle core works requires time that i'm not willing to spend on it when I have my own action sequence plugin to take care of. 

ramza

Lunatic Coder
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I was able to backport the BattleManager.isSecondAttack() function to v1.02, with the caveat that it has to be manually set to false in the finish action of an action sequence that used it.

I hope that's alright with you.

Victor Sant

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
You can do whatever you want with the plugins on your project, feel free to edit them as you need.

ramza

Lunatic Coder
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You are a gentleman and a scholar.

kovak

Silverguard
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
PT - EN
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Vic, what's the Symbol that you used for each slot?

kovak

Silverguard
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
PT - EN
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yeah, like when you add a Symbol to display an option in the menu window.

Well, i'm changing the Status scene with this plugin

Thing is that if it's the default Status Menu the Hand and Off-Hand atk appears. 
I think you'll understand if you see this:

jahw.jpg

Victor Sant

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
Well, I still don't get what do you mean,

Anyway, I didn't change pr add any slot, I just changed the lists of items that each slot has available. I think you're looking at the wrong place.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Humans are fallible creatures, we all know that. It's when we're forced to look at ourselves that we start to disagree. :p
Expectation: Working on boss battle.
Reality: "Look at how awful are these code and database organization. Let me clean this mess", *yet, casually adding more modules that I have no idea if I would use it later*
Trying to learn to read Japanese so I read my manga. I like to buy them without all the edits made during translation.
The only thing getting me through today so far is coffee. And lots of it.
Amazing. I had seen it more than 10 years ago, but seeing Monster this year was an incredible experience. It was certainly one of the best endings I've ever seen in anime.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onpeex