Veronica Mars: The Fan Game

Discussion in 'Games In Development' started by morlockhater, Aug 4, 2015.

1. morlockhater

morlockhater Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    "A long time ago, we used to be friends..."
     ​
     ​
    [​IMG]

Updates

21/10/2015 - Hi guys, Morlockhater here with an update on the game. I'm excited to announce, after a lot of consideration, that I'll be transferring this project to RPG Maker MV. Everything from the improvements to the graphics, interface, and new scripting and plugin system have me really excited about making my 'Veronica Mars' project, as well as a few more I'm planning on revealing soon. You'll be hearing more from me soon!

About The Project

"Veronica Mars" was a television show created by Rob Thomas, airing from 2004 to 2007. It received critical acclaim for its story and characters, and garnered an incredible and loyal fanbase, before being taken off the air following a change in network and a resulting drop in ratings during its third season. This was not the end for the show, however, as in 2014 a Kickstarter project started by the cast and creators of the show broke records to bring the show back, this time to the big screen, shortly followed by a web series spin off and several novels set in the show's world.

As a huge fan of the show, I wanted to do something to add to the terrific fan community of self-proclaimed 'Marshmallows' that exists online, and so I started working on a game, retelling the compelling story of the series in an interactive medium.

This project should be considered an interactive fanfiction based on the series. I want the content from the series to be represented in the game for the player to experience, but I also want an element of choice and consequence present. The player's choices will affect how the story will progress, so things may not always go according to what a player may remember if they've seen the events play out before.

In making this game, I'm drawing from many sources of inspiration; the 'Ace Attorney' series' interrogation system, puzzle solving mechanics found in classic adventure games like 'Broken Sword', and the narrative branching seen in Telltale Games' 'The Wolf Among Us'.

Gameplay

The game is designed to resemble a cross between an rpg and a point-n'-click adventure, with many puzzle solving elements and some similarities to visual novel games. Some sections of the games occur in cutscenes without the player's involvement, while others happen based on the player's actions and responses. The player will be given different objectives, such as cases to work, people to interview or interrogate, evidence to find, and mysteries to solve. I'm implementing a quest system to make keeping track of Veronica's objectives simple and easy to manage.

Plot

"Veronica Mars" is the story of a girl from the coastal town of Neptune, California; a surfer's paradise with a massive rich/poor divide, making it a hotbed for all sorts of crime and vice. The daughter of a private investigator, Veronica's life is fraught with mystery and intrigue, as she struggles with her personal demons while trying to right the wrongs done to her and those she loves.

1 year ago, 16 year old Lily Kane was found brutally murdered. The daughter of Neptune's favourite son, software mogul Jake Kane, Lily was Veronica's best friend, and her death sends Veronica's life spiralling out of her control. Veronica's father, Neptune's Sheriff Keith Mars, loses his job in disgrace after a much scandalized investigation into Jake Kane, his prime suspect in the murder. Veronica's mother abandons them soon after, disappearing. Veronica, choosing to support her father, is ostracized and bullied at school, culminating at a party where she's date-raped by an unknown person. On reporting the crime, Veronica comes face to face with the town's new Sheriff, Don Lamb, who proves to be cruel and corrupt, refusing to investigate due to the likely wealth and influence of the culprit.

Now, Veronica works part time for her father's private detective agency, Mars Investigations, while continuing to attend High School. Having resolved herself to the corruption of the world around her, Veronica is tough, sarcastic, and intuitive, and uses these skills to help her dad track down bail jumpers and spy on cheating spouses, all while working to keep her promise to Lily; that she will find out what happened that night, and bring the person who really killed Lily, and ruined the lives of Veronica and her family, to justice.

Characters

Veronica Mars
    "I hope we're all still friends after I taser you."

Veronica is a 16 year old high school sophomore, attending Neptune High and working for her father's Private Detective firm, Mars Investigations. Veronica is a hard boiled, snarky and quick witted girl, who prides herself on never being ruffled by the world around her. She also has a softer side, being fiercely protective of family and friends, and deep down wants to find the best in the people she helps. Focused, stubborn and determined, she pursues the truth with humour and tenacity.

Keith Mars
    "Tonight, we eat like the lower-middle class to which we aspire!"

Keith is Neptune's former Sheriff, and now works as a private investigator. A fan of italian food, baseball, and noir film, Keith makes is his goal in life to be the best father he can be. After his wife Lianne abandons the family, Keith and Veronica move into a small apartment in Sunset Cliffs apartment complex, along with their dog, Backup. Keith is Veronica's moral compass, a stalwart of decency and honor, and because of that sometimes has issues with the less ethical parts of working as a private detective.

Wallace Fennell
    "That might play with the masses, but underneath that angry young woman's shell there's a slightly less angry young woman, who's just dying to bake me something."

A new student at Neptune High, Wallace quickly becomes one of Veronica's few friends on whom she can rely. An excellent basketball player with a keen interest in engineering, Wallace works at Sack N' Pack and lives with his mother and younger brother.

Duncan Kane
    "My plan, and I haven’t worked this out entirely yet so bare with me, was to raise the roof."

Duncan is Veronica's ex boyfriend, and brother to Lily. The eldest child of software billionaire Jake Kane and socialite Celeste Kane, Duncan struggles with living under his parents' shadow and high expectations. Duncan is popular and academic, but has mysterious mood swings, and broke up with Veronica suddenly and without explanation shortly before Lily's death.

Lily Kane
    "I've got a secret... A good one."

Lily was Veronica's best friend; popular, daring and wild. When she was found murdered is her own back yard, it shook the town of Neptune to its core, making the cover of every tabloid and creating a domino effect that rippled through every facet of Veronica's life. Despite a disgruntled former Kane Software employee claiming responsibility for the killing, Veronica knows that something isn't right, and will go to any lengths to uncover the truth.

Logan Echolls
    "My day is complete. Veronica Mars has accused me of evil."

Logan Echolls is the badboy of Neptune high. Son of action movie star Aaron Echolls, Logan is known for acting out and breaking rules, usually with a sarcastic jibe and a spring in his step. Logan and Lily were dating before her death, and he was one of the main sources of ridicule aimed at Veronica after Lily's father was deemed innocent in the crime.
    Logan can sometimes be callous and spiteful, but also sweet and deeply caring.

Eli 'Weevil' Navarro
    "What if I run into a pack of your white boys, huh? On some clean, well lit street? I could be bored to death."

Leader of the Pacific Coast Highway biker gang, 'Weevil' attends Neptune High, and serves as the resident school bully and troublemaker. A known small time crook, Weevil usually turns up on Veronica's list of suspects in many of the mysteries she deals with at school and beyond, but their tendency to do each other favours means he and Veronica share something of a love/hate relationship built on mutual respect.

Sheriff Don Lamb
    "You need to go see the wizard. Ask him for some guts."

Don Lamb is the corrupt and ineffectual Sheriff of Neptune, California. Often butting heads with Veronica and his predecessor, Keith, Lamb maintains his position in the office of Sheriff thanks to the support of Neptune's wealthy and influential. Quick to jump to conclusions and always willing to 'adjust his point of view' on a case for the right price, Keith and Lamb are opposites in terms of their moral and work ethics.

Screenshots

Mars Investigations Office
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Sunset Cliffs Apartments
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Video

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2015
  2. Goodfella

Goodfella Villager Member

Looks awesome! I recognize some of vexed's tilesets, but not all. Did you make custom tilesets?

morlockhater likes this.
  3. Zak

Zak Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    of course he did.

morlockhater likes this.
  4. captainproton

captainproton Dangerously Nifty Veteran

First Language:
    english
    This looks really interesting. I loved the show, but never saw the movie.

morlockhater likes this.
  5. Candacis

Candacis Pixel Pusher Restaff

First Language:
    German
    I'm a big fan of Veronica Mars and you created some pretty nice maps for your game already. And a mix of adventure and visual novel sosounds intrueging to me.

morlockhater likes this.
  6. Guardinthena

Guardinthena Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Ran across your POP! Graphics on DeviantArt. Your custom graphics are beautifully done. I was thinking of doing some palm trees myself and saw yours. I applaud you! Are any of your custom graphics avaliable?

7. Prince Strall

Prince Strall Warper Member

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Oh wow, I thought it was a joke at first but when I saw the quality of your screenshots I realized it wasn’t.
    I used to watch this show (a long time ago...)
    I think it could be great as a game !
    Also I love the pixelated style, good job !