RMMV Vertical / "DS" Layout? + Bravely Default-style Mockup

GregorDuckman

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I wanted to get people's thoughts and opinions on Vertical / Nintendo DS style / Mobile Friendly layouts and offer a little mockup I made of a Bravely Default style battle system at the same time as an example. If you imagined playing a MV/MZ game on a mobile phone or Windows tablet, do you see yourself holding the device in landscape (normal 16:9 resolution) mode only or could you imagine holding in portrait (9:16 resolution)? In my example the menu options look a little too small for touch tapping on a phone, but that could be fixed with a little fine tuning.

I'm especially interested in hearing people with experience playing both DS/3DS games and Mobile games. How do the two experiences compare and which way would you play all your games, if you had the option? Is one hand/one thumb control important? Do lefties like a left hand / left thumb option? Of course, I'm open to input from everybody.

Direct Youtube Link [Unlisted Video]

(For the record, there are no plans to turn this into any kind of release/ commercial project, it's just here to give an idea of what I'm asking about.)

Last edited:

ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The embedded video says the owner has disabled playback on other Web sites.

I always play mobile games in landscape orientation. Most of them force the screen to that anyway, and when I have the choice (such as playing in an emulator) I choose that. That allows both thumbs to be used like a gamepad.

The dual screens on the DS and its successors were always weird to me. And if you look at how it was implemented, the lower screen was almost always some kind of secondary information, like unit stats or something, to basically save you one button press from pulling up a menu.

The only games I played where I felt like they actually served a strong purpose were the Etrian Odyssey series, where you're actively mapping with the stylus while walking around and seeing your terrain or distant foes on the top screen.

GregorDuckman

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
The embedded video says the owner has disabled playback on other Web sites.
Darn it >.< I want it unlisted so it's not searchable, I'll post the link to it in just a sec.

Beyond that, thanks for the input!

MoonBunny

:^)
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Personally, I wouldn't want that kind of layout outside of playing on DS/3DS family of systems. For the few mobile games I play, it's all in landscape mode, and I prefer it that way.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

It's a Spanish devlog don't get scared!. (please)
Q:"Why don't you get a job?"
A: Posting statuses IS my job. It just so happens to not pay and happen periodically over the course of three months.
My new 49" monitor has been dispatched from the warehouse. Will it arrive tomorrow? The day after? I love that we can track packages now, even if it does only tell me when it's left that end and when it's arrived at the local centre. As long as it doesn't end up in Melbourne again, which has happened before ...
My friend's doing a surprise stream of my game Origin Hunt on Twitch here ! Feel free to stop by :yhappy:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Westernnimbus