Otakublade

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Hello so I'm completely new to these forums but not to rpg maker vx ace. I have an honest request for multiplayer in a certain way where it will work. 

What I need is a script to be able to have a multiplayer and singleplayer mode in my game with a multiplayer that allows both local and online. I am not a scripter so there is absolutely no way that I could make this. 

The game I want to use this for is a mario party styled game where it takes place on a game board. gameplay will go in turns just like mario party. It will be very much appreciated if someone was to script this for me because party games like that are not complete without at least one type of multiplayer.

I know that this request has been made a lot but my game really needs it.

If anyone could make this I will very much appreciate it  :)   :thumbsup-right:

Bex

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I would like something like that too.

Wavelength

MSD Strong
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
If you need simultaenous online multiplayer (where one person's actions can be seen and reacted to by another player within, say, less than one second, as I'd imagine you need for a Mario Party-style game), you're better off looking elsewhere.  RPG Maker is not a good platform for that and it's no surprise that it's never been successfully scripted.

Local multiplayer would be much easier; you'd need to create "players" as simple events rather than using RPG Maker's default "Player" object, since there would be multiple players doing something at the same time, and you'd be smart to get a Keyboard Input script (there are several already on this site) that lets you use all the buttons on the keyboard, since each player will need their own set of keys to press.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Basically online multiplayer is not possible at the moment, and a conservative estimate is that it needs a minimum of one year of development of the existing connection scripts before that can be considered.

Yes, it has been requested several times as you said, but it is too much work to make such an online script.

If your game really needs this, then you'll have to wait that year as minimum before you can continue working on your game.

Otakublade

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
If you need simultaenous online multiplayer (where one person's actions can be seen and reacted to by another player within, say, less than one second, as I'd imagine you need for a Mario Party-style game), you're better off looking elsewhere.  RPG Maker is not a good platform for that and it's no surprise that it's never been successfully scripted.

Local multiplayer would be much easier; you'd need to create "players" as simple events rather than using RPG Maker's default "Player" object, since there would be multiple players doing something at the same time, and you'd be smart to get a Keyboard Input script (there are several already on this site) that lets you use all the buttons on the keyboard, since each player will need their own set of keys to press.
Local would be useful, it doesn't have to be online but local can work. is it possible? it doesn't have to be online as long as it can work with taking turns

Tsukihime

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Last edited by a moderator:

Wavelength

MSD Strong
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Yeah, local is very doable - not exactly easy, but definitely possible.  It doesn't even have to be taking turns - it can be simultaneous local play if you want it to be.

The implementation will vary wildly depending on what you are trying to accomplish.  Using your Mario Party inspiration as an example - designing "Tipsy Tourney" (players play simulataneously without interacting), "Bumper Balls" (players play simulataneously and interact), and "Chip Shot Challenge" (players take turns) are going to be extremely different in their implementation of multiplayer functionality.

Since implementing multiplayer would require some advanced eventing - and possibly some moderate scripting as well - what I recommend is that you start to create your game as if it were single-player. Once you've gotten things like the minigames and board movement down, you'll be skilled enough with eventing that we can take on multiplayer, and I can give you specific hints/help based on what minigames and board game mechanics you've created.

By the way - I just tried out Hime's script and it works great!  Very cool stuff, Hime.  So that's perhaps a base we can work from to implement multiplayer, once you've got the skeleton of your game created.

Tsukihime

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
The idea behind multiple players on the same screen is pretty straightforward I think

1. You have a bunch of player objects

2. Each player has a set of input bound to them

3. On input update, each player will determine whether they should do anything

The problem with keyboard is that there are only so many keys. It's ok if your game is simple and only requires maybe 6-10 keys (I'm thinking NES/gameboy controllers).

However, if we're going to control them with gamepads...THAT'S a different story.

Otakublade

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
The idea behind multiple players on the same screen is pretty straightforward I think

1. You have a bunch of player objects

2. Each player has a set of input bound to them

3. On input update, each player will determine whether they should do anything

The problem with keyboard is that there are only so many keys. It's ok if your game is simple and only requires maybe 6-10 keys (I'm thinking NES/gameboy controllers).

However, if we're going to control them with gamepads...THAT'S a different story.
Yeah, local is very doable - not exactly easy, but definitely possible.  It doesn't even have to be taking turns - it can be simultaneous local play if you want it to be.

The implementation will vary wildly depending on what you are trying to accomplish.  Using your Mario Party inspiration as an example - designing "Tipsy Tourney" (players play simulataneously without interacting), "Bumper Balls" (players play simulataneously and interact), and "Chip Shot Challenge" (players take turns) are going to be extremely different in their implementation of multiplayer functionality.

Since implementing multiplayer would require some advanced eventing - and possibly some moderate scripting as well - what I recommend is that you start to create your game as if it were single-player. Once you've gotten things like the minigames and board movement down, you'll be skilled enough with eventing that we can take on multiplayer, and I can give you specific hints/help based on what minigames and board game mechanics you've created.

By the way - I just tried out Hime's script and it works great!  Very cool stuff, Hime.  So that's perhaps a base we can work from to implement multiplayer, once you've got the skeleton of your game created.
Naw naw thank you this is great guys I could definitely go off this. I could just use some random eventing for the cpus (cuz u know mario party has 4 players). Ya this is exactly what I'm looking for thank you for your help both of you  :) .

Dusk

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Basically online multiplayer is not possible at the moment, and a conservative estimate is that it needs a minimum of one year of development of the existing connection scripts before that can be considered.

Yes, it has been requested several times as you said, but it is too much work to make such an online script.

If your game really needs this, then you'll have to wait that year as minimum before you can continue working on your game.
What's so special about RPG Maker that makes it so difficult? Shouldn't be much harder than implementing multiplayer into any other project, it seems.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

hmm... I just solved one of the more annoying sideview battler problems in MV.. Passive States and Visual States can make it so when your character is in crisis HP, they don't go back to normal walk/wait when it's their turn. they stay in the crisis motion... neat.
Apparently all of LGBT reddit hates me. I posted a simple question and only got hate mail. What's the deal? The doompost was literally 6 months ago and I've changed my views since then and apologized.
MOD NOTE: See second response before replying to this. - Wavelength
Amazing. Simply amazing...

JRPG Browser - Playlist:
Hello, comrades, do you have a pack of modern or student clothes? i need for my project: 3

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
neex84