Very Strange bug with movement after Map transfer

tyedat

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I'm having the weirdest problem, and it's driving me insane!

Until today, I had no problems with map transfers or anything like that in VXA; My problem is as follows:

1) In the image below (a small mansion in a town I'm making), all of the grass tiles in the South are traversable as you would expect.

2) If I transfer the player to another location inside the town (i.e. go into the gate of the mansion or any of the other buildings within the town not pictured), then when I leave that map and come back to the main one, many of those grass tiles in the South inexplicably become unpassable.

3) My character can still move, run, enter buildings, walk along the stone path, but when I try to step off the stone path to the left into the grass, I cannot. If I try to step off the stone path to the right, I can move one tile into the grass, but no further. This happens no matter which building I try to go into in the town; after leaving the building, the passability problem occurs. There don't appear to be any passability problems inside any of the buildings.

4) I don't have any autorun or parallel process events on this map. There are some custom scripts I'm using, notably:
a) CP terrain tags by Neon Black - to allow 'secret passages' where you can walk behind certain tiles that would otherwise be impassable
b) Galv's move route extras - to allow NPCs and animals to randomly move in certain terrain tagged areas

5) However, none of these scripts caused me any issues before today, and they were both in use. It was only after I created the mansion section shown in the screenshot that the error started to occur. I thought perhaps somehow there was an error with the save file, but I started a new game, and the error persists. At first, I can walk through the grass, but if I enter and leave any building then many grass tiles become impassable. What I don't get is how this error never occurred before, but now occurs after I've just changed one small part of the base map.

Any help is greatly appreciated, I'm at my wits end with this one.

Attachments

Trihan

Speedy Scripter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Notwithstanding that neither script was giving you issues before now, if you disable them do you still have the same problem?

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
check if you have similar maps or similar tilesets, and might have confused them in an event.

tyedat

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Thank you both for the speedy responses. I tried both of those things and disabling the CP terrain tags script did fix the weird bug. That, combined with the tower of the mansion being the only place I had used the tags since the bug started clued me into what was going on.

I had originally put the tower there on the left of the mansion and used the terrain tag to make the player able to pass behind the tower, but the terrain tag actually applies to the A1 layer only, so it makes the tower passable, but it turns the parts that are passable into the grass tiles on the bottom layer. I then added an event (with no conditions) above the grass tile/original tower tile so that you would still see the tower.

Somehow, the script didn't like that there was an event there with an image, and also an image from the C tileset at the same time, no idea why. But removing the C tile of the tower, and only using the grass tile and an event with the tower tile above the player fixed the bug.

Trihan

Speedy Scripter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Glad you got it sorted!

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Somehow, the script didn't like that there was an event there with an image, and also an image from the C tileset at the same time, no idea why.
If you use a tile instead of a sprite as the event picture, that tile properties override the properties of whatever tiles are really used there on the map.
That is an intentional behaviour in the default engine, because it allows for things like bridges to be activated or not as events - without that override the event-bridge would remain the impassable water below.
But it seems that that script didn't take that option into account

tyedat

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
If you use a tile instead of a sprite as the event picture, that tile properties override the properties of whatever tiles are really used there on the map.
That is an intentional behaviour in the default engine, because it allows for things like bridges to be activated or not as events - without that override the event-bridge would remain the impassable water below.
But it seems that that script didn't take that option into account

Yes that's true! In fact, this is why I was so confused in this instance. Because the grass tiles that suddenly became impassable were not tagged or related to the tagged tile at all. Somehow, having the A1 tile, the C tile, and the event with C tile icon confused the custom script into messing with all grass tiles.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

mlogan wrote on alltheyuriz's profile.
Please be aware that our Status rules ask members not to make more than 2 status updates in 24 hours.
rux
Just 80% of my motivation on game making lmao, anyone got tips on how to not be unmotivated?
I've signed up for a job training program for people with Asperger's Syndrome. I went to a "test run" today so they could see how well I did with simple jobs, and I amazed them. Most new people do it in 30+ minutes, while I finished in a mere 15 minutes. Gives me time to work on a screenplay for Studio MDHR...
People,I have seen that Someone from China/Chile and London is doing a Vaccine Against COVID-19.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxmach