Vestige of Umbra

LxCharon

I'm the best hyperbole writer in the world.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
working-vestige-logo.png

Vestige of Umbra

A fog hangs over the lake, heavy and ominous, suffocating the water surface. Trees dipped low, weighed down by the intentions of the evening sky. The frigid water bit at her ankles as she stepped, slowly, steadily, into the lake. Her last piece of clothing finally abandoned on the shore behind her. The waves lapped at her shoulders, embracing her, now feeling warm and accepting.

"You are ravishing in the moonlight." his voice glides across the surface, even in a whisper. She feels her ears burn, blushing. Her heart races as their bodies near each other in the water. Water that was growing ever warmer. Reaching out to him, her fingers brushed his cheeks.

And he was gone. Wading around her eyes hunted for him frantically. Where did he go? He was in front of her one minute and gone the next. Suddenly, in a explosion of water he was on the surface again, screaming and splashing, water glistening in the moonlight as he tossed it around. "Help! Something has me! The water-" And as quickly as he had emerged he was pulled under again. But this time she knew. She knew he was never coming back up. No breath would ever leave his lips again. The water cradled her in its warmth and she knew he was no more.

Vestige of Umbra is a rpg set in a psuedo-modern day setting, a world that is similar and yet so different than our own. Focusing on four girls who are ostracized by society for their powers and taken to a religious boarding school to convert them and save their tainted souls. Vestige of Umbra is a story of women with the power to change the world and unravel the dark secrets to the powers that are awakening within them.

character header.png

Nadia: She was raised in a small village, when her powers manifest themselves she is betrayed by her peers and chased out of town by a mob for being a witch. Nadia is timid, she is not used to meeting new people, intelligent but a loner. She tries to open up to those she thinks are close friends. Her powers are unexplainable and almost unbelievable to her, though when she uses them she feels empowered, as if a more confident, powerful person takes over.

Ryn: She lived in the Big City, the daughter of a powerful politician. She was sent to a prestigious private school, where she was caught having sex with one of the female teachers. Her parents freaked out and sent her to St. Regan's Academy for Gifted Girls. Rebellious and confident, Ryn is often seen as a leader by the ostracized girls at St. Regan's. She exudes confidence, because she fears being weak, as her mother instilled a sense that weakness is failure. She uses the things that people would normally consider weak about women to dominate herself over others.

Saavi: She has grown up her whole life surrounded by family, making her awakening all the more heartbreaking. Studious and cynical she sasses back whenever she feels like what is going on around her is against her beliefs. Her fiery personality is only offset by her motherly need to help people, her friends can always turn to her for help when they need it.

Candace: A pastor's daughter from the suburbs of the Big City she chose to go to St. Regan's Academy for Gifted Girls on her own once her powers started to manifest. She constantly beats up herself over her powers, considering them a mark of her tainted soul. She refuses to be helped by anyone and often accepts any hard times that befall her as punishment. Any given day of the week she can be found in the school's chapel asking for forgiveness from her sins.

gameplay header.png

Vestige of Umbra is a passion project of two guys who want to give a riveting experience that is thought provoking and deep. Every aspect of the game feeds into "Does this make you think" and "How does this affect the experience?" We hope to deliver a game that tickles the fancy of those that miss the games of old where thought got you out of situations and trouble, rather than just quick reflexes and QTEs.

Things to expect from VoU:

• A plot heavy game with an emphasis on queer characters.

• A CTB battle system that relies on fast reflexes and thought out tactics!

• Character heavy progression, including a magic system that grows with your characters' relationships!

• Dungeons filled with complex puzzles and lateral thinking inspired by the likes of Legend of Zelda and Lufia II.

• Original Art and Character Sprites!

• Dark secrets and a plot that delves heavily into religion and beliefs.

Art header.png

Some work in progress pieces to tide you over until I get completed pieces, and screenshots up!

More to come soon. Once I can replace the placeholder sprites with the finished ones I'll have screenshots up too. I hope to use this space as a springboard to hear various people's opinions on different aspects of the game and how it should be implemented. Thank you for your time!

Last edited:

GoodSelf

Zhu Li! Do the thing!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The writing in those opening paragraphs is great! Really sets the tone for this project.
I'm excited to see more from you soon! Subscribed  :)

Ezyilnetz

Slowly but surely, crap before clap
Reaction score
First Language
Malay
Primarily Uses
Adding to GoodSelf's comment, nice logo. I'm hooked by the opening, looking forward to play it.

Hellpug

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Engililish
Primarily Uses
Sounds interesting! Look forward to a demo.

LxCharon

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thank you guys for the support!

LxCharon

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
As I'm mapping I'm trying to keep in mind how to make sure the game has a consistent tone and aesthetic, and one of the ways I'm looking to do so it the use of color palettes. I've selected two palettes here and was wondering which you think looks better?

Selection A:color palette A.png

or

Selection B: color palette B.png

I know there doesn't seem to be much difference between the two palettes, but Selection B is more vibrant, while A is more muted. I like the darker feeling of A, but does it cause a bland boringness by being too muted?

Also to note these won't be the complete color list, but a jumping off point, with other colors used being matched to this palette.

Thanks for any input!

Last edited:

GoodSelf

Zhu Li! Do the thing!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I like section A better, and it's hard to tell if it will be boring or not without seeing actual screenshots. But if the game is a little bit darker, then I go with the more muted pallete.

Guiguimu

Walking Disaster
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Women power! This is great idea, very interesting.
About the palettes I agree that if the game is set on a darker theme, darker colours fits best in the game.

LxCharon

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thank you both for your feedback! I'll go with the first pallet based on your opinions. I've started editing the colors of the tilesets to match it. I'll have a completed character poster up by the weekend, though I'm taking a little break to make a short Winterruption game for RMN.

Soul Tech

Time Traveler
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I really liked the idea that women are the protagonists, in addition to involving religion and magic in a story of dark tints ... I feel curious and want to see more, art promises. thumbs up! :):thumbsup-right:(Palette A looks better)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

SF_Monster3,4 added!

My only regret is the portal mirror effect is too subtle to show up in these GIFs. It probably just needs more sparkles. :LZSwink:
Microsoft: Hey, let's waste money advertising the Xbox Series X when nobody has any in stock, we don't seem to be making more, we aren't taking preorders and you can't get on a waiting list. BEST. IDEA. EVER.
So I'm practicing ITC with a spirit box, and decide to try to contact my deceased soulmate. It actually gave me multiple identifiers. Me, still a bit skeptical, asked aloud "Fine but does he still love me?" and the box spoke and printed the word "Forever" at the same time. Been a mess of tears since. :kaocry:
Been scratching away at my game and making progress, but just had a revelation. I'm working in full screen and adjusting all my pictures accordingly, but will they resize if someone's screen is smaller?? I hope this doesn't turn out to be a problem later.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Summer_L7