Victor script errors & MOG script confusion

Discussion in 'RGSSx Script Support' started by BleachBummer, Aug 23, 2016.

1. BleachBummer

BleachBummer Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Yeah, this is a two in one title but let me explain first. Originally I was using the following scripts made by Victor:
    Basic ModuleAnimated BattleSkip Battle LogActors BattlersActive Time BattleElement SetCooperation SkillsDamage PopupState GraphicsTarget ArrowToggle TargetRotational TurningIncapacitate StatesTrait Control
    They are in the correct order, and they work fine. Yet on rare 50-50 chance, these errors come up:

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

I am not sure if deleting the line would work, because these have been showing up on rare occasion. Either that or the ATB gauge will freeze up and not work. I can't pin point what the source is and am fairly sure it's not one of the other scripts. (Or I'd feel the error would of been showing up a lot more often) To see if I could find a replacement, I found MOG's ATB script. But in comparison, I felt it was far too fast, as in it the enemy could perform another action in just 2 seconds after the last. I'd really like to get either these errors with Victor's scripts solved or a solution to Moghunter's ATB script found to help boost the demo of the game I am working on. So if anyone could help solve the Victor Script errors or a back-up solution to Moghunter's ATB script (I tried lowering the Agility stat, that lead to the 2 seconds I currently have as before it was less than a second, no joke) I'd welcome that. So far I've been hearing good points on my demo and using the critiques given so far to slowly improve it bit by bit. But these errors I am dying to fix, because I want to turn that 50-50 chance of it happening to a 0 chance while keeping the main battle style the game has.

2. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Do these errors occur when you start a new game, or when loading a saved game?

If you save a game, then add a script, you will often get a variety of 'nilclass' type errors, simply because you've added a script then tried to resume a game that was saved prior to adding the script.

So if you're using a saved game, try starting a new game instead.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2016
  3. BleachBummer

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    New game, I've updated the game each time there was something like an event that stop progress in the game and told people for new version, delete the old files and start a new save as it would bug things up for them otherwise.

As for testing the game myself, I do also start a new game each time I add new stuff.

(Edit: Any possible other solution?)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2016
  4. BleachBummer

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Sorry for the double post, but I am still wondering if there is any other solutions/alternatives to solving this? Because I would welcome any help to solve this to improve the demo for my game greatly.

5. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Absolutely do NOT delete any lines of the script.  Unless you are a scripter, you have no idea what they're doing and what further damage you might cause.

The first step, I think, is to determine what conditions cause the error to happen, so you can get rid of the randomness (the 50-50) and make it happen on demand.  It's no fun debugging something when it only happens sometimes and you can't pinpoint when it does.  Is it only a certain battle?  Is it only against certain enemies or troops?  Is it only when you use certain weapons or skills or have a certain party lineup?

Another approach is to disable all your other scripts except this one and any that it's dependent on.  Then save, play, play, play until you can confirm with a high degree of certainty that the bug still happens or doesn't happen.  If you can't get it to happen, start enabling the other scripts one by one (or in small groups of maybe half a dozen if you have a large number of scripts), save and play over and over again until you can confirm that the bug is, or is not, present.  The moment the bug reappears, you know it's the last script you enabled (or one in the last small group, which means you have a little bit more narrowing down to do), that is causing the problem.  All of this would be much easier / quicker if you can figure out the exact conditions as mentioned above.

Although the errors shown are in @Victor Sant's script, it could be another script / compatibility issue that's going on.  So it may not be necessary to change any part of his script at all.

The other thing to check is to ensure you've got the latest version of all the scripts.  And ditch MOG's script.  If Victor's does what you want, apart from these errors, then stick with Victor's as it'll be compatible with his other scripts you're using.  By reducing the number of script authors, you're reducing the likelihood of incompatibilities.  Can you please post your scripts.rvdata2 file?

6. BleachBummer

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Shaz

From what I can tell, it can happen in any battle, there is no specific battle it happens in.

I'll take the second approach, but it will take time as I'll need to copy each script into a notepad that isn't Victors and save it. Should I remove all or only those that are connected to battles seeing at it seems to only be a bug involving battles.

I already ditched MOG'S ATB script, it fixes one problem but brings a bigger one. Here is the scripts.rvdata2 file

7. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    You don't need to remove them.  You can cut the slot and then paste it below Main.  That will keep them in your game, but they won't be active.  Depending on the scripts, you might also be able to disable them by putting

=begin

on its own line at the very top (make sure it starts on the very left), and

=end 

on its own line at the very bottom

or by selecting the whole script and pressing Control and Q to comment the lot out.

These will only work if the script authors haven't already used those methods to comment out sections of the script.

There is also another script around that you can add to your game, so when the error happens, it'll provide a backtrace, which will give a lot more information.  I just don't remember what it's called - maybe search the RGSS3 VX Ace Script forum for 'backtrace'.  It requires that you turn the console on when you start playing (F8).  It might be worth giving that a go first.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 3, 2016
  8. BleachBummer

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Shaz

Alright, thanks. I'll get to work on testing that out slowly. Guessing the file might help find the problem if you were asking for it?

Also, is this the script you were talking about?

9. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'm not sure if that's the same one I use, but it looks like it'd do the job.

10. BleachBummer

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Shaz Alright, thanks for the info. I'll be testing it out this month to see the results. If any other idea come up with the file in hand, please do let me know