Victors Animated Battler/Actors Battler help

Discussion in 'RGSSx Script Support' started by Tellah, Feb 15, 2014.

1. Tellah

Tellah Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    (This is my 2nd post and hopefully i placed this in the appropriate place this time. If not I apologize in advance and please let me know! :) )

I was hoping someone could give me some guidance on using Victors Animated Battler/Actors Battlers scripts.   I've been using Yamis Battle Engine Symphony (which has been GREAT and has been working without fail) but I wanted to try Victors Animated Battler/Actors Battlers because I like the customization.

INFORMATION FOR MY CURRENT SETUP:

I've downloaded the following scripts and have placed them in this order under materials and above main:

Victor Engine - Basic Module ------ https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/27014140/Scripts/Victor%20Engine%20-%20Basic%20Module.txt

VIctor Engine - Animated Battle -----https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/27014140/Scripts/Victor%20Engine%20-%20Animated%20Battle.txt

Victor Engine - Actors Battlers -----https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/27014140/Scripts/Victor%20Engine%20-%20Actors%20Battlers.txt

I'm using Actors and Enemies from Pioneer Valley Games (High Fantasy Resource Pack specifically, I believe the term for these is "Holder Graphics"?)

I've read through Victors instructions and have also gone through some online tutorials but i'm still having trouble with the first step, getting the characters to appear correctly in battle.  I'm not sure what it is im missing..........

I believe the battlesheets are 4 frames by 13 rows and have adjusted this under the "default sprite settings".   Since all the battlesheets for all charracters are the same i don't believe i need to create custom settings for each character? (or do i?)

I saved the battlesheet with 2 different file names for the actor: ruvius_battle and ruvius_battle[anim] and placed both files in both graphics\battlers and graphics\characters.  I also saved the battlesheet with same naming scheme for the enemiy and uploaded both files as well to graphics\battlers and graphics\characters.  I tagged the Actor Note <battler name: ruvius_battle[anim]> and the enemy note <battler name: z_frostwyrm_battle[anim]>

The first battle test showed the entire battlesheet for both (all rows and frames in battle) so i changed line 354 in Victor Engine Animated Battle from :sprite to :charset and line 355 from :default to :charset.   This got me closer for the actor, there is only one image now.   Problem is...  hes frozen in mid step facing right, his pose is nothing from the battlesheet and does not change (no animation).   The enemy is frozen as well and is cut off on the right and left like so, also with no animation:

1.jpg

2.jpg

I'm relavitely new to RPG Maker so i apologize if i've overlooked something obvious.   I've also read through so many tutorials and instructions i may have missed something as well......  I am learning though, one step at a time! :)

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can provide!  Also, please let me know if i missed any information or if i posted this incorrectly?

Mark

2. Euphoria

Euphoria Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    The default line should be set to sprite, I think. I was messing with Victor's yesterday but ultimately went with Symphony for compatibility.

Well from your screenshot set both to from charset, to sprite.

As for battlers that do not follow the 4x13 you have to set special settings for them a little further down the script.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2014
  3. Victor Sant

Victor Sant Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Just a small question: If your characters are 3 x 4 default VXa Character, why your setup for frames and rows is 4 x 13?

You are totally messing with everything, the [anim] sufix is for NON-charset battlers., for charset all you need is to setup the frame and row the size of your charset, and put the graphics on the proper folders.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2014
  4. Tellah

Tellah Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Thank you Euphoria and Victor for your responses, I appreciate it!   I forgot to include this in the above but here is an example of the battlesheets i'm using for all Actors and Enemies (all same rows, frames and all rows serve the same purpose):

5.jpg

@ Euphoria - Thank you for the suggestion!  I changed both the mode and action to :sprite and that made a huge difference!  (i'm still trying to learn what the difference between a Sprite and a Charset is :) )

@Victor - I think the above is 4 x 13?  It didnt work with the 4 x 13 setting in the script so i tried going back to 4 x 14.  I also removed [anim] from the file names and changed the tags to match (for example:  <battler name: ruvius_battle>)  ITS WORKING!!!  :D    Here is how the setup currently is and how it appears:

3.jpg

4.jpg

Now i just have to work on where attacks occur.   The actor strikes at the base of the enemy and the enemy strikes over the head of the actor, i think i see where to work on this though :)

This has been a *HUGE* help and has given me a solid starting point to work from.   Victor-you wrote a VERY impressive instruction manual for Animated Battle and i think I can follow everything else in it moving forward (thank you for taking the time to write something so detailed), for some reason this initial part I just couldnt figure out.

Thank you both again for your time and your help and if i can help either of you with anything please let me know!

Mark

5. Euphoria

Euphoria Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    A charset is the simple 3x4 characters already in VXA or like the ones made with the generator. Sprites are like Holder's animated battlers they usually (from what I've seen) come in 4x13. So if you aren't using the default types of characters you are most likely going to use the sprite options.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2014
  6. Tellah

Tellah Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Awesome!   Thank you for the explanation Euphoria! i'm actually starting to understand this all now :)

7. ronniewills26

ronniewills26 Warper Member

First Language:
    english
    hi i was wondering if u could help me with animated battler/actor battler i watch a tutorial and he didn't have a problem but i am but i did everything to the letter that he did to the letter 

[​IMG]

this pic shows that the monster is a bat and a odd backdrop on the tile but its supposed to be a rat 

[​IMG]

this pic shows the that part of script i was told to change and i did change it like he said but i was only able to get the  player sprite to work but couldn't get the right sprite to pop up correctly for the enemy 

Screenshot 2.gif

Screenshot 1.png

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2014
  8. ronniewills26

First Language:
    english
    crap im sorry the pics arnt working and i dont knw why  nvm i got the pics in so u can see my problem kinda

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2014
  9. Tellah

Tellah Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Hey Ronnie! :)

So your character works correctly, just not the enemy?  Where did you get the images/animation for the "rat" from?  Is it just the background color thats not showing up correctly, however the enemy moves/attacks correctly?  Or is the image/animation showing not the one you intended?

I'm far from an expert but id be happy to try and help!  I just need a little more info :)

Mark

10. ronniewills26

First Language:
    english
    basically the rat was from the program just the video told me to re-import it as a different name  and did that and he had no problem except me and i even have the vid downloaded on my pc aswell and went over it to see what i missed and i didnt miss anything but still didnt work and i believe the animations are alittle wrong on the rat and character so ill check 

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2014