Video Clips Best Size & Format To Use

Discussion in 'RPG Maker VX Ace' started by Jay_NOLA, Jun 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jay_NOLA

Jay_NOLA Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Some questions about using video clips.

1.) What is the recommended size you want your clip to be at.  I do a lot of CGI so I'm trying to figure out what I ought to render it as fif it is intended to be a game movie.

2.) What format is best to use?

3.) Video clips can get pretty big.  When does a clip become to big for an RPG maker game.

joangt4, elinorqi69 and maraab2 like this.
  2. Zalerinian

Zalerinian Jack of all Errors Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Videos are only supported in Ace by default, and even with that only OGG Theora videos are supported.

3. light487

light487 Parrot Keeper Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I would probably look for a script that plays videos and then see what that script supports or recommends..

4. Grotaiche

Grotaiche Warper Member

First Language:
    French
    About the size questions : the resolution is the same as the game (i.e. 544 x 416 or 640 x 480 if you use the appropriate script). That should answer your question #3 as well :p

You can find all these answers in Ace's help (just press F1).

5. Jay_NOLA

Jay_NOLA Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Thanks.

I thought they had a script that let you use avi and a few other formats in addition to OGG which is why I was asking.  Pretty sure I've seen avi used.

For question 3 I wasn't asking about the resolution but the actual file size of the clip.  One test video clip I render as an 544x416 avi and converted to OGG a month ago  was over 500 MB after the conversion.  I'm not sure if you run into any problems if you have very large sized files for you clips.   I  could easily end up with well over a gig or two of video clips for my current project.

6. Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Engr. Adiktuzmiko Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy' Veteran

First Language:
    Tagalog
    How long is that clip? 500MB is really big... and what did you use to convert?

my 2 minute intro was 4.45MB in size... so if I follow that, then your clip would be around 200 minutes which is 3 hours long?

make sure that you compress too before or while converting (if your converter supports that)

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2013
  7. Jay_NOLA

Jay_NOLA Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Clip length was 90 seconds.  The clip was a little bigger before conversion and compression wasn't used.  I used a friends computer to do the conversion since he had some video editing software.  Resolution size was changed to 544x416 too during the conversion process, since I allways render at larger resolution than what I will use for any CG rendering I do.

Any recommendations on a freeware program to do the compression and conversion would be recommended too.

8. Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Engr. Adiktuzmiko Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy' Veteran

First Language:
    Tagalog
    I export them on my video editor as .avi...

I use AVS video converter to compress first (maintaining .avi format) using 720p MPEG-4 compression (or  mpeg4 compression + custom size [544x416])... then I convert to .ogv using VLC...

my vids are normally either 800x600 or 1280x720 when I first make them...

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2013
    Dan Sipe likes this.
  9. Jay_NOLA

Jay_NOLA Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Thanks.

Can a moderator close this thread.

10. Celianna

Celianna Tileset artist Global Mod

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    This thread is being closed, due to being solved. If for some reason you would like this thread re-opened, please report this post and leave a message why. Thank you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.