Dalph

Nega Ralph™ (RM Tyrant)
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian Curses
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I was talking with Scythuz about videogames that we are really bad at playing so I got this idea to make a thread and discuss about this particular subject. Is there a particular game (or more than one), or maybe just a game genre that it's not really for you? Something that you really can't play, doesn't matter how hard you try to learn\improve, either because you don't like it or because you're naturally bad at it. If there is something you really can't play, then feel free to drop the title\genre here and post the reason too if you want.

I'm personally horrible at racing games (most of them) because my brain tells my eyes to stop blinking while I play them, so they keep watering all the time, to not count the fact that l also crash way too many times and drift off the track because I drive way too fast.

Ms Littlefish

Dangerously Caffeinated
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm pretty terrible at anything in the first person, namely shooters. Halo, ect. I'm even pretty bad at Golden Eye. I've tried playing them. I'm actually pretty disoriented. It's like I'm trying to play the whole game in tunnel vision. Also, what am I shooting at? I can never tell!

If a PC game has a lot of keys I need to set up a controller. I have Tourette's Syndrome and a lot of my motor tics are in my hands. If I play with the keyboard I tend to just accidentally press a ton of them and blow all my spells. 

I've had trouble with games in the modern generation because some of the graphics give me insane motion sickness. I'm definitely much better at the 2-D counter parts of most genres.

Sarlecc

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I am terrible at platform games (specially ones that have pixel perfect jumps). If the game involves dying multiply the average deaths by 10 and that's where I am. As to why I have absolutely no idea. Worst part is the more I die the more I try to finish it which just makes me die even more. :p

Scythuz

Explorer Bot *beep beep*
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Mario, I have been playing games in the series for most of my life but whilst I enjoy them, I'm still really bad at them.  I can finish Dark Souls, Megaman 1-7, Rocket Knight on the hardest difficulty etc but I cannot beat a Mario game without save states or cheats.  Mario 64 is probably the one I struggle with the most, though I like to blame the controls and camera for that one (I have no excuse though since Sonic 06 was way worse and I still beat that awful game...). 

I'm even worse at puzzle games of any kind though!  Playing Myst made me feel like an infant all over again :D

KanaX

Just being a sleepy
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Broken English.
Primarily Uses
N/A
I don't think I can contribute, really. I just play long enough to start becoming decent at each game. So it's more a matter of which games I don't like and therefore I don't play, like sport games, racing and gambling games.

nio kasgami

VampCat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Shovel knight explain the type of game I am bad at :c

KanaX

Just being a sleepy
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Broken English.
Primarily Uses
N/A
Oh, I'm genuinely bad at MMORPGs. I never got into the whole fighting, strategic questing and PVP thing in MMOs. I just traveled the world to see weird places.

Matseb2611

Innovate, don't emulate
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm pretty much the same as KanaX. Can't think of a genre or a type of game I am bad at. It mostly depends on whether the game can keep me interested. But yeah, I'm not into competitive multiplayer games, especially stuff to do with twitch reflex first-person shooters (though I was reasonably good at Team Fortress 2, so depends on the game really). I can play single player FPS, but not competitive multiplayer. And not into MMOs either.

Last edited by a moderator:

NeoFantasy

Building Worlds
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Fire Emblem: Tharacia 776 is the bane of my existence. 

Milennin

"With a bang and a boom!"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I never could get into Soul Calibur II. I've played it quite a bit, and I do like the game, but I never understood how to get good at it.

Vox Novus

Knight of Whispers
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
My terribleness lies in these:

-Some platformers especially 2-D ones; I usually get frustrated by them because I know I'm supposed to dodge or jump but somehow fail at it. I hate ones that don't have checkpoints enough cause then you just got to repeat everything. Mario games get a pass for me though and I have played some sonic ones.

-Shooters: I barely ever play these I just don't like them. I hate getting sniped from out of nowhere and then dying like crazy and not knowing how the heck I died. I like the stealth mechanics though which I enjoy doing in rpgs like the Elder scrolls where usually its a little more obvious where ranged enemies are located (watchtowers, etc...) Actually the shooter I like the best is Dirge of cerberus oddly enough since it is such a weird mish-mash with rpg elements in it.

-2D fighting games like street fighter; I want to be able to play them so bad but I can't figure them out. I can barely do normal modes cause I can't figure out how to pull off the wacky-arse moves; turn the joystick in z or q pattern and then do these elaborate series of inputs wtf? I do the tutorials but somehow can never figure them out. That's why I prefer 3-d fighting games like dead or alive or Soul calibur even if you can't figure out all the wacky combos the basics of spatial recognition and movement are obvious enough. Pop the enemy in the air hit them, they attack you step to the side or block. I personally think there combos are easier to learn though.

-Racing games; I'm terrible at them enough said. Only one I can play is Mario Kart.

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Sports games. I and my friends play them just often enough that we know the controls, but have no concept how to do anything well. To give you an idea, we are so bad at video game hockey we ended up with a 0 - 0 tie that took us 20 rounds in a shootout to end. Our baseball scores look like football scores (19 - 15 for a final baseball score anyone?), as we have no idea how to play defense worth anything.

Still, I have fun with them, if just for the sheer hilarity of how bad I am at the game.

mjshi

Jack of Most Trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I'm terrible at platformers and anything that involves pressing a combination of buttons a certain way. Too much button pressing, too little time for deliberation.

Strangely, though, I'm okay with key-based mmos or mobas.

trouble time

Victorious
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I'm actually pretty good at most games, but games I just don't play are FPS and Sports games. I'm actually really into competitve multiplayer games...if those games happen to be card games of fighting games. I'm not too fond of MOBA's either

Sarlecc

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If a game involves something that takes exactly .5 seconds to do something in then I am really bad at it. (Doesn't matter what genre and it's stuff like hold the x button for 1.5 seconds and no longer/shorter type thing with no way of knowing when that time is up).

Edit: The game Myst Revelation had this in one of it's puzzles.

Chiakscare

Resident Tifaholic
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I'm bad at League of Legends but I play almost every day.

I'm Bronze, but my teammates hold me back from the Challenger rank I deserve...

...such logic is hilarious to me.

I'm actually Gold; above the average player base of Silver; Gold being considered to be 'decent' at the game.

I suck. ._.

CrazyCrab

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Polish
Hmm, I like to think that I can 'learn' any game, but for some reason I'm just awful at those real-time strategy games, like Age of Empires or Starcraft. I just cannot get used to having to click so fast all over the place. I'm quite decent at real time large scale strategy games, like Europa Universalis, but there it's not really important how fast you click, it's more about where you click.  It's a shame, because I'm an absolute boss at turn based strategy games and I always wanted a 'competitive' strategy game, but nobody wants a turn based one. Oh well.

Other than that I'm quite decent at all genres. It's just a matter of getting used to it, be it a shooter or an MMORPG. I have no clue why I cannot get used to these.

KarmaGodQ

The Hero
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
MOBA's, its mostly the fact bc I walk in and I'm to afraid to move up in my lane bc of the enemy hero, yet at the beginning we could both be able to kill each other, so my indecisiveness ruins it and I can't play effectively.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Have seen some of my favorite people here posting and helping others with questions today -- love to see it!
Haven't been on here actively in awhile, project is going strong my biggest issue is the STORY, i'm refining the plot and learning so much i decided to take a writers class to improve even more but the programming and functionality of the game is stepping up nicely!
Hi everyone! Here's what I'm working on today! It's one of the dorms on campus. I know I said I wouldn't use assets but I reused a few things from the cafeteria hehe.
FCuxBOMXMAICK5e
I added a little squish effect when characters change direction to try and make things a bit more lively. Though it's a bit hard to see on the fast moving guys.
2f4fiuy.gif
I just discovered this game exists; the premise itself is ****ing hilarious. https://www.humblebundle.com/store/kill-it-with-fire

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clique